US Vogue June/July 2020 by Irving Penn

I wonder who Anna had in mind to cover the June and July issue? And how the August issue is coming along?

I wonder who Anna had in mind to cover the June and July issue? And how the August issue is coming along?

I think August and September will be normal covers. June/July was a great idea and literally bought them enough time to shoot the September cover star.

The June celeb cover star (since for sure it was already shot prior to the lockdowns) will surely be moved to August. They then have the entirety of June and July to shoot for September.

I can also see them merging October/November, then December - this will all depend on how lockdowns will ease up in the USA in the coming months.

I think August and September will be normal covers. June/July was a great idea and literally bought them enough time to shoot the September cover star.

The June celeb cover star (since for sure it was already shot prior to the lockdowns) will surely be moved to August. They then have the entirety of June and July to shoot for September.

I can also see them merging October/November, then December - this will all depend on how lockdowns will ease up in the USA in the coming months.

I've seen on the Internet that many magazines will have to rethink this 12 months-a-year-magazines thing and probably will have to be 6 or 8.

I've seen on the Internet that many magazines will have to rethink this 12 months-a-year-magazines thing and probably will have to be 6 or 8.
I think September and March should be single issues, and the rest combined (until the vaccine).

I think September and March should be single issues, and the rest combined (until the vaccine).

As boring as that sounds, it's not like it would be that big of a loss. They make like, what, three editorials per issue? None of which are really exciting to begin with. Throw in some artsy fartsy cr*p by the digsusting Nigel Shafran and there you go, a regular issue of american Vogue. January, february, june, july and august all have the thickness of a pamphlet, especially jan/june/july which visually disappear inside my stacks.
If they combined some of those months and filled them up with extra content, content that is worth our time and money and effort, I'd be on board with this. But if they keep doing what they did with this... they call this an issue? We're going to have some problems.

Bought this issue in local foreign language book store today. I have to say it's not that plain as I thought it would be.
I only wish they could have done some of the models' photos (e.g. Imman's, Caroline Trentini's and even Gisele's) in full pages instead of putting them on a 2-page collage.

I think it's time for Vogue to start combining issues, unfortunately. Monthly prints clearly aren't working — even for the big four, who can afford to at least try — and it would set the tone for other companies to slow down and focus on quality over quantity. I've always liked the idea of the seasonal model: four big issues a year, with the everything meticulously perfected and unrushed. Not sure whether that is practical or even financially viable but a girl can dream.

Looked over my copy today. I don’t love the contents, but it’s not the thinnest magazine I’ve held and the cover image, it actually did make me feel something. It’s the only COVID-19 related magazine cover or feature that has actually inspired an emotional reaction from me, and for that reason I can’t view it as a failure. I’m sure Anna knew many people, myself included, will keep this issue forever.

Monthly prints clearly aren't working — even for the big four, who can afford to at least try — and it would set the tone for other companies to slow down and focus on quality over quantity.

The days of big publishers having any reason to focus on quality in print are long gone. At this point, it's probably viewed as throwing good money after bad.

Reduce Vogue to a quarterly publication and you'll get something on a par with UK Glamour, which turns up twice a year to offer nothing whatsoever - and attempts to convince you it's a product of substance through the use of thicker paper. Any effort is not going into what's printed on those pages.

And we've already had a similar marketing spiel from Vogue - we're told that print is supposed to be a luxury product. And in order to get this point across, they increased the size of the publication, as if that would distract or compensate for the weaker content appearing inside.

I'm going to sell you a product. I'm going to make the packaging heavier, I'm going to put the price up - and I'm going to reduce the amount of actual content inside. What a treat!

A decrease in the number of issues being printed is inevitable, and they'll find ways of marketing this as a brilliant business move. In reality, they will do nothing to improve what's being presented on the printed page.

Looked over my copy today. I don’t love the contents, but it’s not the thinnest magazine I’ve held and the cover image, it actually did make me feel something. It’s the only COVID-19 related magazine cover or feature that has actually inspired an emotional reaction from me, and for that reason I can’t view it as a failure. I’m sure Anna knew many people, myself included, will keep this issue forever.

Same for me!! Like you said, the contents isn’t the best. Yet, the issue itself represents so much more to me because of when it was published!! I also do love the cover - it’s simple but conveys the message of unity without being too over the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->