Vanity Fair March 2014 : Hollywood Issue

^George and Julia are so big they will catch more eyes on the newsstand...

^Yes, I know that. I'm just saying that they've never really had to rely on veteran Hollywood heavyweights for this kind of spread before. They've had the likes of Kristen Stewart and Jennifer Lawrence in their previous Hollywood issues to attract the teen market, or the likes of Anne Hathaway and James Franco, who are at least close in age to rest of the subjects. (Leto fits the latter; he's a superstar yet weirdly they didn't put him on the cover.) I hope this isn't making me sound ageist. :rofl: I actually think it's cool they've got the 46-year-old Julia Roberts on the cover which dispels the myth of actresses careers being over after the big 4-0 (funnily enough, she's wearing considerably less than the twentysomethings), but she and George Clooney just seem out of place.

I guess I'm kind of just sick of Clooney. He really has no business being on this cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
^I guess they get the people who´s gonna be on the cover and then they place them around, no one from the younger people are well known (if known at all), with the exception of Leto but he´s more famous for his music career than film one... you have Julia, George and Idris (who´s quite famous in the UK I believe, and he played Mandela of all people...). Did they miss a famous young star? I can´t think of any, Jen Lawrence already was on the main cover...
I think VF just tries to represent what´s going on in HW at any given time, this year not one young star was really out there.

*edit* I just noticed that Leto is 42, Idris is actually younger by 1 year... so I guess he´s actually closer to the age group of the main cover :Pink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep forgetting Jared Leto is in his 40s. :rofl: And it's pretty understandable that Elba is on the cover despite his age and experience; it was definitely breakthrough year for him in cinema. And I think the same applies to Leto.

I guess it is hard to think of any young established actors like Lawrence that haven't covered it yet. There are not many if any at all of Lawrence's magnitude, that's for sure. I think even somebody like Matthew McConaughey would've been great at the centre of the cover given his career rejuvenation.

The Hollywood Issue is not just about up and comers they've done the Young Hollywood issue a few times but they've also had the Men of Hollywood and the Women of Hollywood and so on. I kind like this random mix of stars and I actually enjoy seeing Julia at this point. She's never been one to appear on everything even at the height of her career.

The Hollywood Issue is not just about up and comers they've done the Young Hollywood issue a few times but they've also had the Men of Hollywood and the Women of Hollywood and so on. I kind like this random mix of stars and I actually enjoy seeing Julia at this point. She's never been one to appear on everything even at the height of her career.
Of course it's not, hence the title, 'Hollywood Issue.' I just thought it was surprising that they mixed it up. Usually if they have A-listers, they go the full way.

Anyway, here are some behind the scenes pictures:

U5mi3Kl.jpg

yjGyfcG.jpg

lupitanyongocom's tumblr

This cover confuses me. Why do they have George Clooney and Julia Roberts, and then all of these rising stars surrounding them? It's like they didn't know what they wanted it to be. I would've preferred it if they had Lupita and Michael. Where's Adele Exarchopoulos? Or Miles Teller?

I imagine the Gwyneth Paltrow story itself is going to help sell a few copies, so it's not like they needed the A-list stars. It hasn't hurt their New Hollywood covers in the past.

But despite my complaining, I actually like it a lot. It was a great year for black actors, so it's nice that they acknowledged at. (And I'm not usually one of those people that complains about race and magazine covers; blame Hollywood, not Vanity Fair.)

Exacly.

Julia is my favorite on this cover - her pose is just great, she looks so lively and thus stands out.

I Love this cover. Much better than last years which wasn't that great at all. Idris is such a hunk. Is the guy next to Bree from The Buttler? If so he was really good in that role.

I think Julia looks amazing. Why she used a leg double in the 90s I will never get. Luptia is a goddess. That gold dress looks like the Calvin Klein Diane Kruger wore to Cannes one year. Bree and Naomi look fantastic. Margot and Lea look great but look uncomfortable in their poses. Can't wait to see who else is inside (where Cate etc should be).

The Gwyneth thing might not end up being scandalous if it's true that she and Graydon have made up. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns into a humour piece.

I Love this cover. Much better than last years which wasn't that great at all. Idris is such a hunk. Is the guy next to Bree from The Buttler? If so he was really good in that role.

The man next to Bree is Chadwick Boseman, he played Jackie Robinson in 42 last year. Boseman played the sports legend in an authentic manner and I'd say he's got a bright future in Hollywood- he has another sports movie coming out later this year (it's a comedy though) and he nabbed the coveted role of James Brown in the biopic they are making about his life.

Also, I just wanted to point out that behind the scenes picture of Michael B. Jordan and Lupita is too freakin' cute! All around adorable.

Overall, a very good group shot cover for their Hollywood issue. I'm just happy that they put Idris on the main cover.:blush:

Can't wait to see the Hollywood portfolio inside this issue!

Michael B. Jordan? :blink:

While he didn't wind up getting an Oscar nomination for Fruitvale Station it most certainly was a breakout role for him and made him a buzzed about actor, add in that he's been cast as Johnny Storm in the new Fantastic Four film and has a film out just this weekend I can see why Vanity Fair chose him.

Honestly I can't find fault with any of the choices on this cover - though Brie Larson surprised me slightly, but good for her tbh.

Julia Roberts looks like the cat who got the cream sitting in Idris' lap.

I know Julia is half-dressed, lol, but I'm still appreciative of the styling choice for her.

Meanwhile, Idris and Chiwetel both on the cover? Thank you, Vanity Fair! The inclusion of Brie really made my day too. She was fantastic in United States of Tara and I have been rooting for her ever since.

The man next to Bree is Chadwick Boseman, he played Jackie Robinson in 42 last year. Boseman played the sports legend in an authentic manner and I'd say he's got a bright future in Hollywood- he has another sports movie coming out later this year (it's a comedy though) and he nabbed the coveted role of James Brown in the biopic they are making about his life.

Thanks I realised my mistake when I was able to click on the pic to make it larger as I couldn't for some reason at the time.

Maybe Adele Exarchopoulos and Miles Teller are inside the mag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->