Vanity Fair September 2024 : Jenna Ortega by Tom Craig

It's someone new for the cover, which is always good... but that'll probably be the sixth best shot from the overall story.

^if I didn't like it before, I love it now :rofl:

I think her only good cover, so far, has been her Elle cover.

The result is too pedestrian for my liking.

I don't like the cover at all, so lifeless and bland like the rest of the magazines in recent years (Harper US, Vogue (various UK Paris Italia editions) Vanity fair etc) I remember Tom Craig's work for Vogue UK (under Alexandra Shulman and I liked it) and Harper Bazaar UK (especially the Helena Bonham Carter story) now let's hope to see a wow cover story for September Vogue US

Hollywood has always been made up of tiny little actors and actresses - but they always had good proportions. Men you'd think were 6'2" are really 5'9"...and women you'd think were 5'9" are like 5'2".

But recently, the industry doesn't seem to bother with screen tests anymore? Actresses like Jenna Ortega and Florence Pugh just look SO short and not well proportioned. Florence Pugh looks like a Barbie doll with the head shoved down to the shoulders. And Jenna is like a bobble head. I know it's not like a life or death issue, but it's one more thing that just feels like a fallen standard.

No offense to any of you out there that are also vertically challenged. It just is what it is.

@lookatme It's probably because the new crop of actresses are constantly styled to look like teenagers barely out of puberty, for the most part... forever. I dunno, there's a huge infantilization going on in "the culture" these days, imo. This is just one aspect of that.

Bad lighting and angle.

Hollywood has always been made up of tiny little actors and actresses - but they always had good proportions. Men you'd think were 6'2" are really 5'9"...and women you'd think were 5'9" are like 5'2".

But recently, the industry doesn't seem to bother with screen tests anymore? Actresses like Jenna Ortega and Florence Pugh just look SO short and not well proportioned. Florence Pugh looks like a Barbie doll with the head shoved down to the shoulders. And Jenna is like a bobble head. I know it's not like a life or death issue, but it's one more thing that just feels like a fallen standard.

No offense to any of you out there that are also vertically challenged. It just is what it is.
I should hope the industry would move away from the same body types and beauty standards after all this time. I think both actresses are wonderfully talented and that’s all that matters, but if we were to talk about proportions… I mean no. Why? People want interesting shapes and sizes on their screens these days. I don’t want the same conventions over and over.

I should hope the industry would move away from the same body types and beauty standards after all this time. I think both actresses are wonderfully talented and that’s all that matters, but if we were to talk about proportions… I mean no. Why? People want interesting shapes and sizes on their screens these days. I don’t want the same conventions over and over.
Exactly, we should be beyond refusing to cast talented actors and actresses roles because their heads arent proportional to their bodies. That should have gone with the backbone squeezing corsets and lotus feet. That said I feel like Jenna is in the same category as Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez. They always look too young in fashion print because they naturally look younger than their actual age. Stylists need to do better with them the same way they do models for different stories where a 20 year old model can look like a teen one day and look like a middle aged Midwest housewife the next.

If she were just looking at the camera, the photo with the gold backdrop and the white Balmain top would’ve made a much better cover.

Received my print subscription copy of the UK edition - 128 pages, no supplement this month.

The cover is less distinct than the insta post suggests - the colours seem more faded, and the image itself is almost hazy or slightly out-of-focus.

The only notable new season ad is a gatefold for Chanel.

Geraldine Viswanathan is the Vanities person. The Jenna Ortega shoot inside continues to seem as indistinct as the cover.

This is followed by "Paris When It Sizzled", a 12-page feature where the photographer Bill Cunningham talks about the historic 1973 fashion show, with largely unseen b/w shots from the event, coinciding with the release of a new book about it.

Next is a feature about Robert F Kennedy. It's very Vanity Fair to have a piece about political dynasties.

Turn the page, and it's "The Twisted Love Story of Jose and Lady Betty", a "95-year-old diamond heiress and her much younger genderfluid spouse". When I settle down to read this piece, it had better be as good as the pictures suggest.

Then it's Steve Ballmer and his sports team.

There's another celebrity editorial/interview, "The Natural", with Meghann Fahy, shot by Dan Martensen.

An article about The Obamas and their current state of play / influence on Democratic direction.

Lastly, there's another feature which is reprinting old b/w imagery - this time, it's a look at the stage work of actors who later became better known for their screen roles - Peter Falk, Roy Scheider, George Segal and Wayne Rogers.

The back page Proust Questionnaire is Patti LuPone.

The strength of this particular issue is in the variety of its articles - there's a little bit of everything.

The weakness is in most of the new photography commissioned for this issue - there are two articles inside that rely on vintage photography, which is much more interesting to look at and consider than anything from the modern celebrity shoots.

That is such a strange choice of shots for a cover - ill-fitting dress, indifferent hair, almost out of focus?

Jenna Ortega might have bobblehead proportions but she does have an interesting and distinctive look and enough presence to carry some of the quirkier parts of high fashion as seen in some of the inside shots. That they chose this for the cover is, well, a choice.

The shot with the red hat is beautiful. As far as I understand she's a grown woman, I don't think she fits in the glamourous femme look that media is trying to give us. Why not style her with clothes that look more juvenile? Like they do with Ayo Edeberi for example. I don't get why magazines are trying to dress her opulent and the results look more like a "girl playing with her mother/grandma clothes".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pablosoto
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->