Vanity Fair Summer 2018 : Emilia Clarke by Craig McDean

I think this is sublime.

The art direction is pretty awful, but I think Emilia looks great. I'm just thankful that she isn't styled like a scantily clad retro pin up girl on the beach, or a scantily clad retro pinup girl in bed, or a scantily clad retro pinup girl draped over her han solo costar as that was how 90 percent of women who got past vanity fair covers were styled

I see more Twisty the clown from American Horror Story in her smile than... well... anything appealing, let alone beautiful. :shock:

The art direction is pretty awful, but I think Emilia looks great. I'm just thankful that she isn't styled like a scantily clad retro pin up girl on the beach, or a scantily clad retro pinup girl in bed, or a scantily clad retro pinup girl draped over her han solo costar as that was how 90 percent of women who got past vanity fair covers were styled

I imagine that's a thing of the past now, thank God. At least one advantage of Radhika Jones.

Love the photography and styling. It's simple, no frills and it works for her. Glad they decided to cover up her dark roots. With that said I do feel it would be better suited to a women's magazine than for VF which should really boast with something more exciting each month.

I'm just glad we're getting a British face on this magazine for once.

I'm just thankful that she isn't styled like a scantily clad retro pin up girl on the beach, or a scantily clad retro pinup girl in bed, or a scantily clad retro pinup girl draped over her han solo costar as that was how 90 percent of women who got past vanity fair covers were styled

After getting their fill of this version of Vanity Fair - and its intellectual emptiness and dull visuals - I suspect people will be wishing for the return of Hollywood glamour in the magazine. Perhaps not in the form of the Vanities girls, but certainly the cover stories with successful actresses.

In the fashion world, glamour might go through phases where it becomes stale, but in the wider world, it doesn't ever go out of style.

In the fashion world, glamour might go through phases where it becomes stale, but in the wider world, it doesn't ever go out of style.

I agree with this! And I think it's regardless of age or creed. Accessible glamour will always sell. So I'm not sure why magazines immediately assume 'going youth or contemporary' means abandoning any form of glitz and glam.

One of Emilia's better covers but her name next to the masthead looks horrible.

Photograph by Craig McDean
Styled by Jessica Diehl

Interview (and source) → https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/05/emilia-clarke-cover-story

I love this ed even though there's something sterile about it. It's among the few in which I think she looks good in every shot. Like Margot Robbie where the movie camera loves her but she tends to fall completely flat on print.

The cover design is utterly unconvincing. It looks anaemic.

(Did her theatre career exist? I listened to her on Hollywood Reporter's podcast--she was a riot--but according to her she was on her last gasp acting-wise when she got the call to try for GoT.)

Don’t like the cover at all. It looks a Sunday paper supplement.

She looks STUNNING on this cover. The smile is bringing me joy! She's just so radiant and lovely.

Everything about the cover works for me...

EXCEPT the formatting of the words. Why are they all over the place?! Above the masthead and bouncing around the image??? It's genuinely ridiculous. And nearly ruins an otherwise flawless cover, in my opinion.

I am totally on board with this!
For some reason magazines, just like with Alicia Vikander, never seemed to transform her attitude on screen onto the pages of a magazine but I think VF and Craig have done a marvelous job here. I love the clean and striking look of it and the art direction of the cover is GREAT.
All very well done.

i thought Jessica Diehl exit VF....

This looks like a film poster mock up not the cover of a storied arts/culture/politics magazine.

I like the spirit of that cover photo and the styling is subtly formal yet undone which I dig but really wish that the background was a contrasting pale or vibrant blue. However was that really the most flattering image of Emilia they could produce? Perhaps it was.

The cover editorial is cringe-inducing managing to combine Miley Cyrus pubescent blank stare expression with Portia de Rossi hair styling disaster meets Megyn Kelly's VF attempt at human as furniture accessory posing.

I'm a long time fan of Diehl's work but the styling here is completely lazy and unimaginative. Again I think it'd be helpful if the magazine sites published images with text as it appeared in the magazine layout to accurately gauge how well the images flow together over the pages.

My subscription copy turned up in the post on the same day as a copy of Italian Vanity Fair, which I thought was going to lead to unfortunate comparisons between the two editions, but once I got beyond the Emilia Clarke front cover, it seemed a lot more like old Vanity Fair, with features about "Gay TV", tech espionage, Trump children, Californians cleaning waterways due to environmental outrage, Larry Nassar and the gymnastics scandal, artist Ed Ruscha, the meaning of Rosemary's Baby in today's world, and a personal tale of encountering a woman fraudster.

Having had no time to sit down and read the issue, I can't vouch for the depth of any article, but it feels like the magazine has settled down a bit, back into its old ways. Although I can't see any dead celebrities turning up on the cover any time soon.

130 pages in the UK edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DC80
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->