Vanity Fair September 2018 : Michelle Williams by Collier Schorr

The styling is all over the place and the posing completely try hard. I'm a big fan of Samira's styling but what's with the same sweater in different colors, same swimsuit from different angles and same ugly Everlast shorts in two shots.

Despite the repetitive use of garments these images and styling choices do not mesh nor unify any of the disparate stylistic themes. Willy Wonka come-hither secretary vibes on the cover, stark Jansson-esque sporty swim concept, Brokeback Mountain tomboy and concerned boxer in the ring engulfed by ginormous gloves and shorts. And Chloe Sevingy thriftstore kitch for NYLON c early 2000s for good measure.

VF needs to step it up on their visual story telling, editorial-wise.
It seems to me that this editiorial is a modern take on classic Americana elements. So the styling seems pretty cohesive and unified in that sense.

Well, it seems to me Samira and Collier tried to go quirky, within their extremely limited viewpoint? It's just too awkward. Michelle looks stiff in all the shots, especially the one with the gloves, which should've been the winner. A creative director worth his/her salt could easily have amplified this. McDean recently proved that you don't need an outlandish location to pull together a rich, storytelling edit. His entire shoot for VI was based in front of a beige backdrop.

My point is that Radhika and Samira would need to work a little harder to set this magazine apart from the rest. This is a luxury magazine! We can get this style of edit any month from an Elle.

American Vanity Fair has always been obnoxious. Now it's insufferably pretentious as well.

Such a vapid shoot that's the brand of limited creativity conjured by a 1st-year design student high on their newly-discovered sense of feminism. I'm sure the female-gaze sheep will devour this as some profound display of empowerment: The macho American archetypes subverted by a woman. Zzzzzz....

The only image that is decent is the B&W one of her as a swimmer with her back to the camera.

Actually, love the cover and ed, color composition emotion, check. Some of the best work Ive seen from Collier to be frank and Williams looks chic. But for September? No. Its a miss.

Love this cover! Clean and crisp. Michelle is such a classy, gorgeous woman. The interview really giving me a deeper perspective into who Michelle Williams is. As a regular subscriber, I'm loving the new direction of this magazine.

cancelled my subscription a few months ago, won't renew any time soon....this magazine is dead

Got this in the mail today. 218 pages.

"In the Mood for Love"
P: Miles Aldridge
S: Elizabeth Stewart
cast of Crazy Rich Asians

"Virgil in the House"
P: Alex Majoli
Virgil Abloh

"Spectacular Now"
P: Maciek Kobielski
S: Elissa Santisi
Celebs: Maya Hawke, Lucy Boynton, Toyin Ojih Odutola, Adut Akech, Hiro Murai, Olly Alexander, Chante Adams, Ari'el Stachel, Cody Fern

Features:
An excerpt from Lisa Brennan-Jobs' memoir, an article on Maria Lani, a South Korean lab making pet clones, a profile of a female commander in a Colombian guerrilla army, and Republican challengers to Trump

It was a surprise to see Yasmin Le Bon on the cover of the motoring supplement that comes with the UK edition, and where there's fashion and cars, there's also David Gandy, although he's got clothes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->