Vetements - 2 Years After They Broke the Internet, It Looks Like Nobody is Buying Vet

Does the Rodarte model still involve living with mom & dad? :wink:

Hahahahaha, was shocked when I discovered two women of voting age are still living in their childhood bedrooms at home. This sort of thing seems to be on the rise in the UK as well. Needs to be nipped in the bud, if you ask me.

^are they still churning out those glittery rags thay brought them fame? I had forgotten about Rodarte...

Hahahahaha, was shocked when I discovered two women of voting age are still living in their childhood bedrooms at home. This sort of thing seems to be on the rise in the UK as well. Needs to be nipped in the bud, if you ask me.

I worked with a woman who was getting on for 40 and still lived at home. Some people really like their families, I guess :huh:

A lot of people in Asian countries live with their parents. But I think it's not a common practice in the west. I think Rodarte business is doing much better though. They are selling sweatpants and sweaters now. Though the RTW are much more wearable. They found a formula and have been carbon-copying it.

^are they still churning out those glittery rags thay brought them fame? I had forgotten about Rodarte...

Aww, I have a soft spot for the sisters. Lol. For me the idea that they've got so much creative carte blanche, relish in that, and still deliver wearable collections is impressive. They're certainly better than a lot of brands out there.

I only liked them when they were doing those cut-n-paste sorta dresses..from those few collections..from about 10 years ago. But that article about them still living at home w/ Mom & Dad..timeless!

But me liking Vetements..well, that ain't ever gonna happen. HA!

That's a blow. DSM was like the first retailers to introduce them.

Wait, does Vetements even produce new collections? I feel like I haven't stumbled upon a single item of theirs in a year.

Vetements really felt fresh when it started. It was really raw, weird, fun because it came from designers who were bored with their routines in big houses.

Now it has became a stereotype and a cliché.
And Balenciaga caught all the attention and clients that Vetements had I think...

In a fun note, I have a friend who did their runway show last year. She looked like a rough sleeper.

Vetements really felt fresh when it started. It was really raw, weird, fun because it came from designers who were bored with their routines in big houses.

Now it has became a stereotype and a cliché.
And Balenciaga caught all the attention and clients that Vetements had I think...
I think it felt fresh when it started because it looked like vintage Margiela and it was sold as « the line made by old Margiela’s alumns ». Then we saw that the story wasn’t necessarly what it was told and that Vêtements was a little Scam.

It turned out it was just a come up for Demna. His goal was to be at the helm of a big fashion house.

We are at the end of the decade and like before, a lot of things will disappear and the fashion landscape will change sooner. I’m curious to see who is going to be a survivor of this era (I have my idea on the question).

I’m curious to see who is going to be a survivor of this era (I have my idea on the question).

I'm curious on your idea. or was this rhetoric?

there was and still is a need for something new. vetements is the best example that people were yearning for it. but problem is that its nothing real and lasting. so I am sure too that there soon will be something new popping up, but I have no idea about who or what it could be.

I'm curious on your idea. or was this rhetoric?

I would have never said it 4 years ago but for me, JW Anderson has the potential to be the one. At first, I was dubitative of his talent his growth but he proved me wrong.

I think he has grown a lot as a designer and can be The one for many years to come.

Even if he is totally different, I kinda see him like Lee McQueen. At first, Lee was really about shock effects, gimmicks. His first collections while very impactful weren’t really indicative of what he could do. Then, he went to Givenchy, learned about the making of the clothes and once you have the technique and good ideas, it’s wonderful.

I think at Loewe, JW really learned about making quality clothes. I would love to see him in charge of a Couture atelier. His ideas with Couture skills can be exceptional.

Demna is a bit like Decarnin (with less talent of course). It was too fast, too early. He was influential but it doesn’t have a long term approach.

^ Agreed ... it's hard to see the future of a $520 DHL shirt 'concept.' It's always been clear there are (what is the politically-correct word for stupid?), shall we say, wisdom-challenged people with money to spend, but this line and perhaps Off-White I thought reached a new low. How far can you go with just a gimmick? I suppose that's a 'talent' in itself ...

Is Marc Jacobs riding the next train over? I think he certainly has more talent, but he seems like he might be a case study in just how far derivation can (and cannot) be taken.

I don't think JW Anderson will last long.

I loved his early stuff, but I feel he bas been doing the same collections again and again and again for the last 3 years.
He went from super conceptual/interesting to repetitive/commercial I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"