Victoria Beckham fears becoming too American

Retro

Reaction score
BECKHAM FEARS BECOMING 'TOO AMERICAN'

marc_jacobs_arrivals_01_wenn1567487.jpg

SPICE GIRL VICTORIA BECKHAM is planning on hiring a male British nanny to look after her three children - so the family doesn't become "too American". The singer - who moved to Los Angeles with soccer star husband David and their three children Brooklyn, 8, Romeo, 4, and two-year-old Cruz in the summer (Jul07) - fears the family will pick up an American accent and lose touch with British culture. She says, " I really do not want my boys losing their accents. "While I love it here in the States, we are not Americans and I want my boys to keep their British accents and roots. "It would be unthinkable for them to lose it." Beckham also admits she is keen to hire a man to look after her children after watching hit movie The Pacifier. She adds, "I watched the film that Vin Diesel starred in as a male nanny and just loved it and thought that men can be just as good as a nanny as women. I wouldn't mind having a man as a nanny."

Curious. I'm sure the fact that David has a wandering eye would present a problem in hiring nannies as of course most are female had NOTHING to do with it.

The four- and two-year-old most likely will develop American accents, regardless of having an English "manny"; kids tend to adopt the accents of their peers, not adults. I think... Maybe someone can cite a few exceptions?

The four- and two-year-old most likely will develop American accents, regardless of having an English "manny"; kids tend to adopt the accents of their peers, not adults. I think... Maybe someone can cite a few exceptions?

I forget the linguistic term but the children could develop both an American accent and an English one and unconsciously switch between them. (Let's not piss around with this 'British' thing - I don't sound Scottish.) And let us not forget the Spanish tinge...

I forget the linguistic term but the children could develop both an American accent and an English one and unconsciously switch between them. (Let's not piss around with this 'British' thing - I don't sound Scottish.) And let us not forget the Spanish tinge...
My mom spent much of her youth in Arkansas and speaks with a flat Midwestern accent; my dad learned English in England, and speaks an approximation of Midwestern (American) English nonetheless. Given the familial strangeness, you'd think I sound Scottish. :lol:

She can hire a British nanny, but what's next? Hiring British friends for her kids so they don't lose their accent?

my family completely lost their english accents after moving to america. when we go back to england, old friends and family make fun of our american accent.

An answer to the question "Is she as stupid as she looks?"

Probably not the answer she was hoping for, but an answer none the less.......she's just what this country needed, another idiot.

She's doing nothing but wasting money, something she probably accomplishes often.

Besides the point I know... but I really like that dress... :lol::P

I don't think it's very easy to lose an accent. For example, here in Montreal, we speak french with a different accent then those who come from France. I have had French teachers who have taught and lived in Quebec for 20, 30 years sometimes, and still have been incapable of losing their accent. Maybe it depends on the people, but as far as I know, accents are hard to lose...

^^ I think it's different for children. Children will emulate the way their peers speak. Look at say Mel Gibson. His family emigrated to Australia when he was about 12 years old, around that crucial age when you're developing your speech patterns. While there he acquired an Australian accent well into his young adulthood until he came back over to the states and reverted back to an US accent which IMO was by choice and not merely through exposure.

When adults emigrate to another country and lose their accents it's usually because they chose to. Young children on the other hand will adapt to their adopted country's linguistics due to submersion through academia, peers, media et al.

^^ True. My family and I moved here when I was 17 and people can't place my accent still. It's a little english, a little american a little something... My brother who was 6 when we moved has a full on American accent now and when he is irritated and speaks rapidly my mother has trouble understanding him. I don't blame Victoria for fearing her kids becoming too American. She fear a lost of their identity and heritage. No different from most immigrants here. imo. *shrugs* At least she speaks English!

What does an a accent have to do with culture and heritage? Isn't culture a little deeper than how you sound? I don't sound like my parents, does that make me any less of what I am?

And, though she may have the British accent, she is more "American" than most American celebrities what with all the plastic that has been sewn up into her bod! :lol:

Madonna didnt seem to have the fear of becoming to British...but then again, cultural commodification is her specialty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->