Viktor & Rolf A/w 2004

Its one thing to be commercial but its another to be a complete contradiction to what you preached about for so long. They are doing this now. Praising creativity and expression for a while, then after their L'Oréal contract came in for their upcoming fragrance they started blabbing about wanting to become a 'global brand'. I dunno,I find that rather unsavory and disgustingly ironic.

Although,I like some of this stuff,it still doesn't change my mind about them at all. I still think they're a couple of prats who have fallen prey the big money. :rolleyes:

i honestly can't make up my mind about this collection yet.

i am not sure about the antlers... or the clothes. i adored the s/s 2004 collection by v&r....

hmmm.

Originally posted by Scott@Mar 6th, 2004 - 1:04 pm
Its one thing to be commercial but its another to be a complete contradiction to what you preached about for so long. They are doing this now. Praising creativity and expression for a while, then after their L'Oréal contract came in for their upcoming fragrance they started blabbing about wanting to become a 'global brand'. I dunno,I find that rather unsavory and disgustingly ironic.

Although,I like some of this stuff,it still doesn't change my mind about them at all. I still think they're a couple of prats who have fallen prey the big money. :rolleyes:
i think they are pretentious twits :lol: ...but these are good clothes...i'm also not that fond of karl lagerfeld...but when he's good, he's good...

at this point...anything that will sell and bring the industry off its knees sounds good to me...otherwise a lot of people are going to be unemployed... :ninja: i think some of us are just in survival mode at this point...once we've recovered a bit, we can be dreamers again...right now i'm being practical..

Originally posted by nikos@Mar 5th, 2004 - 6:39 pm
back in all her glory. it was about time...
couldnt agree more.. there wont b another nadja..

better to be designing than not..
thats what i have to say to anyone bashing V&R for their L'Oreal contract,
i mean everyone has sponsors,
its not possible to keep bringing money from home all the time
as for clothes sales, most of the time those cannot possibly cover up cost expenses and a decent living for the designer.

Margiela has sponsors, Lang has sponsors, i'm sure Lutz and Pieters have sponsors, everyone needs money to keep playing the fashion game.
thats the way it is.

(i'm currently discussing with sponsors,
i mean... will this make me a less talented designer?
well, i dont think so,
it will just enable me to go materialise my ideas
and i honestly can see nothing wrong in doing this... ) :ninja:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 6th, 2004 - 3:56 pm
better to be designing than not..
thats what i have to say to anyone bashing V&R for their L'Oreal contract,
i mean everyone has sponsors,
its not possible to keep bringing money from home all the time
as for clothes sales, most of the time those cannot possibly cover up cost expenses and a decent living for the designer.

Margiela has sponsors, Lang has sponsors, i'm sure Lutz and Pieters have sponsors, everyone needs money to keep playing the fashion game.
thats the way it is.

well, i dont think so,
i don't think sponsorship is bad at all... if it can give one freedom... go for it! :flower:

Its not the money or the sponsorships that tick me off so much its just they way have sort of started singing to different tune after telling everybody endlessly creativity and expression is most important. In my mind that is what one would call a double standard? That's just not real and honest to me at all and frankly that's something I look for in a designer(s). I'm just not pleased with that especially considering I was huge fan of theirs for quite a long time and held quite a high regard for them as creatives.

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 6th, 2004 - 4:05 pm
thank you pears :flower:
part of fashion is having the means to create what you have imagined. and how can one do that without money and a living for one's self?

good luck!!!! :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 6th, 2004 - 2:56 pm

well, i dont think so,
that's good news, lena...hope everything works out...i'll be curious to see some of your work :heart:

scott... :heart: i completley understand, but i actually have more respect for them now that they are make clothing that is actually wearable...some of that stuff in the beginning was insanely beautiful...but also completely unwearable...

i go back to my mantra regarding fashion as an applied art...

if it's not useful...it's useless... :ninja:

this, of course, does not apply to fine art, but we're not talking about fine art...that's a different thing...

i confess, it's taken me some years to reach this understanding, though and this is where i am today... :flower:

Originally posted by softgrey@Mar 6th, 2004 - 11:18 pm
scott... :heart: i completley understand, but i actually have more respect for them now that they are make clothing that is actually wearable...some of that stuff in the beginning was insanely beautiful...but also completely unwearable...

i go back to my mantra regarding fashion as an applied art...

if it's not useful...it's useless... :ninja:

i so agree softgrey :flower:

and thank you, i promise you'll see my work quite soon :wink:

I love this collection. One of the best in Paris.

Gorgeous coats:

00010f.jpg
00200f.jpg

00150f.jpg

SG*,when they started working on P-A-P,I think they showed us some really wearable and equally creative things. Yes,it was experimental but I think they were able to accentuate both aspects exquisately. And their tailoring and structures were always their best skill in p-a-p.

erhh actually when they started they had no clue about pap
they were only doing couture and they were VERY good at this.

from couture to pap its a long and hard -very hard- road, to make
clothes marketable/producable in quantities :P

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Mar 6th, 2004 - 10:18 am
I really hate to see Viktor & Rolf waste their talent on charcoal grey coats and drab column dresses. I loved all of their collections before spring 2004 and I think this new commercial direction for them is a misstep.
so true :heart:

abotu sponsores i doutn feel that any one shoudl comprmise tehre artistic vision for moeny, that is wrong to me.

looks like Uslu make up (airbrushed) to me
but i think we should wait for the carnival purple :ninja:

Originally posted by chickonspeed@Mar 6th, 2004 - 12:18 pm
I really hate to see Viktor & Rolf waste their talent on charcoal grey coats and drab column dresses. I loved all of their collections before spring 2004 and I think this new commercial direction for them is a misstep.
so true. V&R shoud wear the antlers themself.

I think there is sth called credibility. They are now making nice, wearable clothes. OK. But why stop doing ***their*** true style, after all?

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 6th, 2004 - 2:51 pm
erhh actually when they started they had no clue about pap
they were only doing couture and they were VERY good at this.

from couture to pap its a long and hard -very hard- road, to make
clothes marketable/producable in quantities :P
I know their first collection wasn't great but as they progressed it became splendid,I think. Especially "Black Hole" and the Fall 2002...those were my faves. And by far,are still my faves.

I like this but the whole atmosphere and the feeling puts me off. It doesn't seem pure;I think their true style is what they 'were' doing,to be honest.

Lena,is this the first time we've actually had a huge difference of opinion on something? :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->