Vivienne Westwood Exhibition

Originally posted by Acid@Mar 31st, 2004 - 7:35 pm
tickets are £8
Thanks Sean. Yes, I will go Softie. It would be great if you can come :flower:

thx for the pic acid...hard to imagine anyone else looking so beautiful wearing a pair of horns...leave it to viv... :flower:

trying to view the video tott...haven't quite got it yet...

:flower:

...i think i will come over late april or early may...hope to be able to meet up with some of you while i'm there... :flower:

here the review from the party :flower:

Westwood's Way
040104_5.jpg

LONDON — They came in pirate hats with feathers as tall as sunflower stalks, curvy dresses with bustles and spiky punk hairdos. The party to kick off the Vivienne Westwood exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum was a champagne-fueled homage to the mother of punk fashion, who once said “You have a much better life if you wear impressive clothes.”

“She is a British icon and she has surpassed fashion,” said Burberry’s Christopher Bailey, who joined Rose Marie Bravo, Kate Moss, Jefferson Hack, Mary McCartney, Tracey Emin, Jake and Dinos Chapman, Erin O’Connor, Bay Garnett, Karen Elson, Sadie Frost, Manolo Blahnik and Jerry Hall to fete the designer. “Long ago, she formed a very strong opinion about fashion, and she’s had the integrity to stand by it.”

Moss said she’s been collecting Westwood pieces for years. “I’ve loved her since I was 14. I used to make special trips to London to buy her clothes.”

Most agreed Westwood is a designer of many talents. “She puts curves where you haven’t got them,” said Leah Wood, a sentiment echoed by Sam Taylor-Wood: “The best thing about Westwood’s clothes? Breasts and bums.”

Earlier in the day, Westwood, who was sporting two small silver devil horns in her carrot-colored hair, talked about the show — the largest the V&A has ever dedicated to a British designer. It features 150 designs from the museum and from Westwood’s personal archive and traces three decades of her work, from the days of black leather and peekaboo zippers to the punk buckles and snaps, to her watershed Pirate collection with its famous baggy breeches.

“I’ve fallen in love with these pieces all over again,” said Westwood, wearing a dusty rose silk dress decorated with little, sparkly bug pins. “I have a new appreciation for all the skill and technique. This is an oeuvre.”

Westwood said her approach to constructing clothes is more than meets the eye. “There’s a lot of trickery that goes on in my studio. I try to develop ready-to-wear clothes that look like couture but that are affordable. Fashion should be worn and used. It is an applied art, not a crusade.”

Regardless of the individual theme, the thread that weaves its way through all of her collections is that the clothes are always “heroic.” “They are larger than life, they help strike a figure, they have a sense of adventure about them. These clothes are strong and extreme. They don’t hide you — they help you.”

The designer called her Pirate collection the crucible of her style and technique. “With that collection, I realized what I could do with ethnic and historical cutting.” Indeed, the exhibition explains how Westwood hit the history books and learned special sewing techniques to create the loose-cut trousers of 18th-century men’s clothing.

While she may be a member of fashion royalty, Westwood is no princess — or so she says. “I brought my mother here to see the show the other day and she said: ‘Vivienne, I don’t know where you dreamed all of this up.’ I told her it wasn’t dreaming, it was just hard work.”

As for the little silver horns, “They’re pagan. The Renaissance rediscovered paganism, and the 16th century was English culture for me: Queen Elizabeth I, Shakespeare and Pope.” And knowing a fashion moment when she sees one, for her big night, Westwood made sure to swap the silver horns for diamond ones, courtesy of De Beers.

040104_7.jpg

Kate & Sadie
photos and artcile from wwd

some more images from Vivienne's V&A exhibition

032904_14.jpg

032904_13.jpg

032904_15.jpg

from wwd :flower:

:lol:

ADMIT it, you would have been disappointed to hear that Vivienne Westwood passed up a chance to speak her mind at the Women of Achievement reception at Buckingham Palace earlier this month. This time, it wasn’t the Queen who was treated to a flash of inspiration from the 62-year-old designer (who famously and demonstrably picked up her OBE wearing no knickers), but the Prime Minister’s wife. “I took the opportunity to tell Cherie Blair exactly what I thought of Tony,” Westwood, who is the subject of a retrospective at the V&A next month, tells the next issue of Time Out. “He hasn’t got a clue what culture is and his dress sense is appalling.” (March 30 2004, AM) vogue uk

Just seen a feature about the exhibition plus an interview with Vivienne on the european satellite channel EURONEWS , available free to air on ASTRA and EUTELSAT HOTBIRD .

If you can , watch it as the sequencies are repeated about once every hour .

KIT :innocent:

Originally posted by kit@Apr 1st, 2004 - 4:42 pm
Just seen a feature about the exhibition plus an interview with Vivienne on the european satellite channel EURONEWS , available free to air on ASTRA and EUTELSAT HOTBIRD .

KIT  :innocent:
I've got a digibox and minidish (yes, Im a pawn of advertising :()
Is there anyway I can watch this?

Originally posted by ahhGucci+Apr 3rd, 2004 - 7:33 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ahhGucci @ Apr 3rd, 2004 - 7:33 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-kit@Apr 1st, 2004 - 4:42 pm

KIT  :innocent:
I've got a digibox and minidish (yes, Im a pawn of advertising :()
Is there anyway I can watch this? [/b][/quote]
That means you're directed at ASTRA 2 for SKY ( You Murdoch lover you!!!! ) .

Euronews MAY be on Astra 2 as part of your package .

Check the programme listing .

GOOD LUCK !!! :flower:

KIT :innocent:

EURONEWS

SKY DIGITAL - 11.681 Verticle - transponder 125 clear
27500 2/3 ,

EUROBIRD 1 ( same as ASTRA 2 ) 28.5 degrees East

Hope this is of help !

It's in the clear , so no encryption , therefore should be easy to tune into it !!!

KIT :heart:

i've booked my ticket for early may...i'm sooooooo excited!... :heart: and i can't believe my boyfriend's coming with :woot:

if u can make it for the 30th april i will get u a ticket for the runway show

Originally posted by Acid@Apr 5th, 2004 - 9:33 am
if u can make it for the 30th april i will get u a ticket for the runway show
agh!!!...omg-that would be so amazing, but i'm booked for arrival on the 6th of may.... :cry:

thanks for the offer sean...i would have LOVED to see the show... :(

btw...will you be around that weekend...i might meet up with aahgucci..maybe we can have a tfs tea party?! :P everyone's welcome...

of corse,
how can i let anyone pass through this nation without taking them somewhere hot

Originally posted by Acid@Apr 5th, 2004 - 5:23 pm
of corse,
how can i let anyone pass through this nation without taking them somewhere hot
cool...as we get closer to the actual date i'll pm you to make a plan... :flower:

awww...don't make me feel even worse, gucci...my friend isn't in town until may 3rd, so i can't come b4 then...anyway..it's already booked...

but you should definitley go if sean gets you a ticket...you will be sorry later if you don't... :flower: then you'll both have to give everyone a full report... :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
honeybabe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->