Vogue Australia February 2024 : Nicole Kidman by Steven Klein

CHEAP as hell.
It looks like a bad version of V or W.
how though can they produce THIS with a team of so many people???
Steven Klein has lost his touch many years ago for me anyways.

Klein needs to go back to his stripped down photographs. This ultra airbrushed look is really out of step with the times.

Going by the video this concept had potential with someone like Ellen Von Unwerth but the post production wouldnt even be accepted in the first year of photography school. Terrible waste of Nicole.

Why do they always criticize Steven Klein's style? His photos are like that, always! The photos he took of Linda Evangelista for V magazine, the same thing happened.

I like it but it's not giving Vogue - more like W.
I imagine it's precisely what Christine wants with the rebrand. In the global fashion community, it's just another unoriginal 'edgy/try-hard attempt but maybe in Australia where fashion imagery isn't exactly provocative this will be regarded as progressive and interesting since Russh is nowadays doing covers that look lifted from Vogue Australia under Edwina.

I prefer the conceptual work Klein used to do for American Vogue - I don't think he's good with this type of studio setting. There should be a book on his set designs alone during that time. I suppose there's no budget for that anymore. God knows how Mary Howard makes a living nowadays.

The only aspect I like about the cover is Nicole Kidman's endurance. She has no peers. Everything else is tired.

The first time I saw this, scrolling Instagram, it didn’t even occur to me it was a real cover. Without her oversized name on the cover, I wouldn’t have recognized it was Nicole. It’s certainly not Klein’s work. It’s so retouched it doesn’t even look like a photograph anymore.

KILLER INSTINCTS
Photography:
Steven Klein
Styling: Christine Centenera
Hair: Akki
Make-up: Jenna Kuchera
Model/Celebrity: Nicole Kidman

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

Klein isnt even trying. He gave Kidman a plain background, a black curtain and told her "Now do your thing, girl" :rofl:

It would be more convincing if it were someone who... doesn't follow rules, rather than someone for whom living dangerously is stepping outside without sunblock for five minutes.

Kidman is brave. Makes good choices with roles too.

they probably selected the worse photos from the shooting which wouldn’t surprise me at all considering some editor’s eye for fashion and now we have to acknowledge this ugly and tragic work.
it’s terrible.

I appreciate the fact that she commits to styling that isn't really expected for them. Still very lazy from Klein though, with some horrible final selections (her teeth in the 6th/Rick Owens look are so toothy) and depressing set.

Wonder if they intended to have her look like Tara Reid trying her best "I'm not your little girl anymore" Taylor Momsen styling. It's a choice.

Everything Vogue Australia touches turns awful. That magazine is genuinely incapable of producing good work. The inside well is filled with the worst 'editorials' you can imagine.

Looking through this issue online, it's 178 pages.

The cover story is followed by a UK Vogue reprint of the flags/squiggly statues edit with Angelina, Awar, Chu and Jill Kortleve, which looks most at home in this edition. Then we have Abbey Lee shot by Max Papendieck, for the new Gucci, followed by a UK Vogue reprint of the Sabato interview/Lila Moss edit, a reprint of the Liu-Wen-walking-in-the-street edit. Theres also a beauty edit shot by David Ferrua with model Daria Dan.

Everything in this magazine feels light and superficial, as if someone has tried to recreate online content for a printed publication. It feels digital-first. There's more inside than I expected, but a lot of the original content is short, with instagram-style images. It makes for an easy read, but then I think, why would I read the magazine in favour of going online for similar-looking content?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckyjeanjo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->