Vogue Italia August 2016 : Lara Stone by Steven Klein

That said, Naomi's been doing editorials and not getting the cover all her life.

The cover is bland & boring. Hope the editorial will be better.

So much negative space around her that instead of it looking like she's holding up the bench (benchpressing? LOL) and Vogue masshead like some Atlas superwoman, I can't help but think "the incredible shrinking woman"...

Bad composition. The space is too much and the bench Lara is holding is too big. I'm intrigued by the accompanying ed, though.

Whaaaaat? I was waiting for Klein to do a cover for VI so bad and this is the result?
So disappointing...

Not what i was expecting given the talent in the title. Since it's a sneak peak, it might not be the official cover?

There's something weird about this cover but i think that out of all the Non-Meisel covers they have done, this is maybe the most "Vogue Italia" of all (no matter what it means for a cover to be Vogue Italia-esque).

Lara doesn't look very strong and the Phillip Plein dress looks like a Fausto Puglisi...

Lookin' like a wrestling champion

It feels like a clash, certainly not her best cover. Why o why lifting a table. :huh:

Lol, it's not even anything crazy heavy! I don't get that point. Women cannot lift stools now? Lol.
Her make-up looks too severe, makes her face looks harsh. Would actually not have minded Klein's usual glosssy, oversaturated mannequin instead of this. It's almost like they asked him to interpret Meisel! Can Klein please get his sh!t together for this magazine. First that awful China cover, now this.

But can someone please tell me, are all those emojis in the OP actually from VI??? Looks like it was posted by an overzealous Lara stan!

I saw Klein and Stone and knew I would be blown away. I was mistaken.

I expected A LOT when I saw the title. A LOT I tell you. A LOT. And somehow, I'm disappointed. I love the legs. However, the top half of the photo feels odd. Not sure if they just photoshopped the indoor bench or not. Because there's no tension that's going on in the arms. It feels like she was asked to lift her arms up and pose. Or maybe the bench was just too light. IDK.

Also, the expression could have been better. I love, love, love, Lara. Been a fan of her since the begin, thus I'm sure she can give better expressions than this. This doesn't feel like a cover shot at all. It feels like an outtake or a deleted photo.

And when sports meets fashion? The tagline and the photo is seriously disconnected. I don't see how this relates to sports though. Maybe they meant strength?

Once again I felt exactly the same, word by word almost. crazy hehe :D

I notice that the non-Meisel issues are thematic (China, New Talents of Photography, Youth by Mert & Marcus, Xmas by Walker, Happiness by Testino, Family by Sorrenti and now Sports by Klein). This cover, with its picture and font (very Nike and Adidas ad campaign from the 90's) looks very unexpected, artsy, and over the top, like the main concept of this magazine. I like it, and the colar color in the Vogue logo is perfect. Multicovers???

Last edited by a moderator:
Not THAT bad, as somebody already pointed out the upper-half has a lot of attitude but then the face...The bench is kind of WTF! but still more normal looking that Sorrenti's hobo family for June...

I honeslty hope the "Sport" element is as toned down as possible. For me sport and fashion, just like fries with ice-cream, is a terrible pairing that people (editors) just keep trying to make happen.

I will give this a generous 7.0 because it does not look like the stale autopilot crap Klein does for W Magazine-or this very magazine whenever he does an edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
This poor magazine. Without a Miesel cover there is no identity. The reality of having one photographer shoot every cover for decades is that without that photographer, what does Vogue Italia want to say? With all the non-Meisel issues so far, I have no clue.

If Franca would have made a clean break with Meisel, there might have been an opportunity to create a new identity - but having Meisel stick around makes all of this seem like no one can make up their mind or have a sense of direction where the magazine is going.

Aside from all of that, though, this is a pretty terrible image from Klein. Not sure what's up with him these days, but - boy - I sure miss his early 00's work.

I feel as if Lara's time as a model has passed, but the badness of this cover goes way beyond her, who would actually look good in this pose? This is scraping the bottom of the barrel in its attempts to be clever.

This poor magazine. Without a Miesel cover there is no identity. The reality of having one photographer shoot every cover for decades is that without that photographer, what does Vogue Italia want to say? With all the non-Meisel issues so far, I have no clue.

If Franca would have made a clean break with Meisel, there might have been an opportunity to create a new identity - but having Meisel stick around makes all of this seem like no one can make up their mind or have a sense of direction where the magazine is going.

I completely agree here. While Meisel's covers lately are quite lame and boring, at least there's consistently. But every other month with different photographers seriously kills this magazine. It's as if the magazine doesn't exist. Just emptiness. And the biggest photographers deliver their worst work for the magazine. Only Tim Walker was any good.

This is just awful. Klein is a great photographer but anyone could have shot this, including me with my iPhone.

why are u so sure that its gonna b full klein issue? VI always mention it on the cover while having only-photographer issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->