Vogue Australia September 2020 by Betty Muffler

Oh good more political messages, just what we want from our September fashion covers said no one ever. All the editions of Vogue need to get over themselves.

Agreed, I would love to see such content in the magazine but putting it on the cover doesnt make sense and amm 100% pro inclusivity and social and political change .

@MON They had to have paid her a huge sum of money. Her painting is on display in Australia's National Gallery which automatically means brokers and PR are involved on behalf of the artist, so not a chance to underpay her.
So far Vogue Australia seems to be the only one whose Hope artwork also appears in the National Gallery of their country at the same time. That's quite a big deal both for the magazine and the artist. I believe this is only the second time for a Vogue to cross collab with a National Gallery at the same time, the first being Kate Middleton's British Vogue cover which had the art community's knickers in a knot.

I agree with Koko. The painting looks good and interesting from afar, but I don't think the detailing works for a magazine cover. At least not online. And not to detract from this artist, but isn't Vogue Australia wrong in saying this is their first-ever artwork on a cover? I happen to recall a really awful cover painting of Cate Blanchett during this pandemic, and that was commissioned too.

"Vogue Australia’s September 2020 issue is dedicated to the theme of hope and features an artwork by Anangu/Aboriginal Pitjantjatjara woman and spiritual healer #BettyMuffler, the first time an artwork has covered #VogueAustralia in its 60 year history."

Didn't they release a painting of Cate Blanchett last June? Their caption is confusing.

Vogue Australia September 2020

Split Screen

Photographer: Charles Dennington
Collage Artist: Cynthia Swanson
Stylist: Jill Davison
Hair: Joel Forman
Makeup: Joel Babicci
Cast: Vi Lath, Suzi Leenaars, Ajok Madel, Kat Wu

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

Resting Easy

Photographer: Nicholas Chalmers
Stylist: Christine Centenera
Cast: Samara Weaving

Style Focus: Playing For Keeps

Photographer: Isaac Brown
Stylist: Kaila Matthews
Hair: Madison Voloshin
Makeup: Isabella Schimid
Cast: Grace Cameron, Crystal Russell

Vogue Viewpoint: A New Day

Photographer: Jake Terrey
Stylist: Philippa Moroney
Hair: Pete Lennon
Makeup: Gillian Campbell
Cast: Shanaeva Chatfield, Varsha Kumar, Sophie McFadden

I admire; understand & applaud this cover as I feel it invokes the spirit of Australia but when seen on the newsstand it is very dull. When are these editors going to realise that their covers need to POP :shock:

Surprisingly the page count of this issue is 252, and the ad count is impressive for a magazine whose top competitors (Harper's and Elle) recently folded. Vuitton Jewellery and Hermes both took four pages each and interestingly enough 2 of the ads went to men's looks which makes me wonder if the magazine will consider going more fluid in order to court more advertising.
The fashion content, however, is disappointing. In addition to what has been posted above, they've reprinted Adut's swimwear shoot by Summerton from British Vogue, the 'fashion designers at home' story from British Vogue, and a shorter version of German Vogue's long cover editorial for September.
At least the written content made up for it. A 4-page cover feature on Betty Muffler and 4 more on the other female artists on show at the gallery, focus on female volunteers who helped fight last year's fires, a stunning profile on Australian suffragist Vida Goldstein who I knew nothing about, and yet another 'future of fashion' article similar to the ones we've been seeing everywhere.

Not the worst Vogue cover featuring artwork that I've came across over recent months, I can admit that. Yet despite the work itself resembling an empty page of one of those adult colouring books, I do like how monochromatic the cover is. Also lovely to see Vogue Australia support local talent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KHERLAK
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->