Vogue Australia November 2018 : Victoria Beckham by Bibi Cornejo Borthwick

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by samoanceleb, Oct 15, 2018.

1. EstefaniaAbaddon

EstefaniaAbaddon Well-Known Member

So this has nothing to do with her brand? Why is she on the cover then?

2. Blayne266

Blayne266 Well-Known Member

This also makes her the ‘celebrity’ with the most vogue covers if I’m not mistaken, Madonna has 16.

3. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

Nicole Kidman has 26 or something like that...

Blayne266 likes this.
  4. Blayne266

Blayne266 Well-Known Member

Thankyou, it’s really hard to find out how many some celebs have without individually finding each one and tallying them up.

5. Valentine27

Valentine27 Well-Known Member

That's what caught my attention first, as well. It looks like she just went through surgery. Quite scary. It could have been a tad sexier than that, without it being too much. Otherwise I like this cover. Beautiful skirt, and I'm always interested to see Victoria Beckham.

mikel likes this.
  6. samoanceleb

samoanceleb Active Member

My take on Victoria (and her brand) is that she often says, she is not the prettiest, most talented etc, but she has a vision, and is she hard working. Therefore her Vogue covers seem to be her way of proving to herself and others that she is credible and in demand.

I imagine her team agressively chase the covers (we rarely see her on international editions of Elle or Bazaar). Yet US Vogue and Vogue Japan seem to the only major editions that have eluded her. Vogue Japan seldom have non-Japanese celebs on their covers, save Riccardo Tisci & Kanye West in 2015, so that does not seem personal.

However, Anna's reluctance to put her on a solo cover after all these years is baffling given that she is always at her shows, and her Anglophile bias for cover stars. Maybe Anna thinks she tries too hard, or it is simply a matter of politics, given that other female fashion designers (Karan, Herrera, DVF, McCartney etc) have never covered the US edition either. Although arguably, Victoria is in a league of her own, given her former pop star status and a photogenic, superstar husband.

Btw, her profile shots in the editorial are really lovely. She does take a good side shot and I think of her Estee Lauder ad from a while back.

Miss Dalloway, phungnam96 and Benn98 like this.
  7. Nomar

Nomar Well-Known Member

Unflattering angle and she just looks awkward here.

8. KINGofVERSAILLES

KINGofVERSAILLES Utterly-Unknown Member

You know, if someone had told me that Victoria manspreading in an utterly hideous brown skirt/dress/wtf while flaunting her grandmother's handmade arm warmers would not be her worst Vogue cover of the season, I might not believe you. And yet....

kasper!, mikel and Benn98 like this.
  9. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Vogue Beauty: McKnight Magic (8 pages)
    Photographer: Nicole Bentley
    Stylist: Philippa Moroney
    Hair: Sam McKnight
    Make-up: Victoria Baron
    Cast: Ondria Hardin

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

10. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Soft Armour (10 pages)
    Photographer: Rory Payne
    Stylist: Marina Gallo
    Hair: Kota Suizu
    Make-up: Carole Colambani
    Cast: Jeneil Williams

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Taking Flight (8 pages)
    Photographer: Hans Neumann
    Stylist: Melissa Levy
    Hair: Benjamin Muller
    Make-up: Emma Day
    Manicure: Ami Streets
    Props: Ibrahim Njoya
    Cast: Elizabeth Debicki

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Thanks Ben for posting the content, it all actually looks good, i do think they need to re-think their art direction, although it looks better in print.

Also this issue was SOLD OUT at the Vogue house showroom, not a single copy left, wtf! :shock:

Benn98 likes this.
  13. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

It's probably due to Victoria, lol. In Edwina's editor's letter for this issue there's a shot of her with Victoria, Arp and Angelica. Incidentally the three Vogue editors who support her the most. So I thought the shot to kind of unique and memorable.

It's actually a decent issue overall. A bit heavy on reprints (Fernanda Ly for Vogue Russia, Adut Akech/McQueen for UK Vogue), but it seems this is the first issue where Vogue Australia is walking the walk. When they put out the diversity cover earlier this year we gave them a lot of flak, and rightly so. But with this edition Edwina and her team have ingtegrated that effortlessly and without any fanfares. And it just so happens to be 2 Aussie girls. That, coupled with the sleek type and page layout made the magazine look like an international edition. And I can tell you this, next to Elle, Harper's and inStyle in Australia, they're definitely the most 'contemporary fashion' of the lot in a global sense. I find that the rest (especially InStyle!) rely far too much of that Aussie beach babe schtick.

The shot of Elizabeth Debicki in that pink gown is astounding. Such a beauty!

samoanceleb and Miss Dalloway like this.
  14. HeatherAnne

HeatherAnne Well-Known Member

22 too many.
    *figure there's got to be 1 decent 1 in there... even if I can't remember it.