Vogue China September 2023 : He Cong by Leslie Zhang

The beauty that is having the javelin throwing shot next to the portrait with the long needle in the hair. Gorgeous! Hopefully the layout has those two next to each other in physical print.

Only thing I could do without is the running shots. The way they're done is a bit out of place to the rest.

Everything works for me. Cover is stunning and editorial is absolute perfection. Fashion with a capital F. BRAVO!

Thank you @ERIKIMISUN, @crmsnsnwflks. Absolutely looking forward to this issue (along with ELLE Brazil's). Just out of creative principle—especially next to the cheap and over-processed student project eyesore of the American one, this feels and looks high fashion.

It’s still not quite there, both as a fashion story and as a creative concept. And there’s something both creepy and charming about that whiff of Mao-era Communist propaganda aesthetic (that's also very Steven Klein creepy with the color-palette). But at least it doesn’t look like a department-store catalogue story And Housewives Of cover marketed towards the outlet shoppers. Wished there were more of these shots:

VOGUE China September 2023

Model: He Cong
Photography: Leslie Zhang
Creative Direction: Matt McDonald
Styling: Vivienne Sun

OHdkk2q.jpeg

VyvJtud.jpeg

weibo@voguechina

But at least it doesn’t look like a department-store catalogue story And Housewives Of cover marketed towards the outlet shoppers...

LOL!

'there’s something both creepy and charming about that whiff of Mao-era Communist propaganda aesthetic'

Noticed that as well, I think it's the sparseness and that shade of duck egg. I haven't opened an issue of Vogue China in a while. This actually makes me want to go through one and see what's new.

^^^ The less fashiony, and sparse portraits are absolutely a nod to those Mao-era propaganda imagery of the children-of-the-corn Red Guard performers (…glad they left out the bun hairstyle adorned with flowers tho).

Won’t be long before even Vogue China will have to bend to the representation demands of Chairman Enninful...

What do the Chinese readers feel about this cover?

Their videos for this issue also has a theme of a Sports broadcast

Chinese aesthetic it's so poetic and sublime. Away from the toxicity of these days.

Chinese creatives are incredibly skilled but there is always a lack of cohesion. The stories are not flowing. It's a selection of decent but completely disjointed images.

What do the Chinese readers feel about this cover?

I'm seeing a lot of positive comments on their post, but some of them compare this cover to Laetitia Casta's Vogue France photo shoot.

The last time they're collectively happy with a Chinese Vogue cover was last April with Shu Pei.

I'm sorry, but I find this so dull... sure it's not a disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->