Vogue Germany April 2013 : Tina Turner by Claudia Knoepfel & Stefan Indlekofer

^^Yeah, she lives in Zurich, Switzerland. And Claudia Knoepfel & Stefan Indlekofer happen to be Swiss, too. Tina still gets a lot of press here because she attends lots of charity and society events so it doesn't seem too random, although she's still a surprising choice. And I agree with happycanadian, living legends don't need to have any new products/tours/etc. out to promote in order to be relevant cover choices.

Ok maybe I'm missing something because I don't understand all the fawning. Is it because it's Tina Turner? It's the only reason I can think of because otherwise, the cover is absolutely awful. She looks terrible. The face is crooked and the hair is like a dirty mop. She may be a legend and I have nothing against her, but I don't think she makes a good cover subject at this age while trying to look 'sexy'. Wish they'd just do a dignified cover with her as an older woman. There is nothing wrong with being 73. Nothing wrong with looking 73.

What a nice surprise. I saw her in concert a few years back...well quite a long time ago :ninja:. She's fantastic, so even if this image isn't perfect, I'm happy to see her in one of the last places that I would ever expect to.

Yesss! I agree! The cover may not be the best, but holy moly, if the opportunity to buy it came up I would because I support anything and everything Tina. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome was a childhood regular and I'm swoooooning. Excuse me while I listen to her majesty for the rest of the afternoon.
Tina Turner doesn't have to be doing anything in order to be "relevant". She's TINA TURNER. She's a Legend.

It's wonderful to see her on the cover of German Vogue! She looks beautiful and glamourous.

Holy Smokes! Way to go, Tina! I absolutely love this cover. She looks sweet but confident, demure but sexy. I feel empowered just looking at the cover, haha. I've been missing her. Now if only Kate Bush would do a cover I'd be thrilled!

Surprising but I love it!!!

Tina Turner doesn't have to be doing anything in order to be "relevant". She's TINA TURNER. She's a Legend.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I would rather have the pleasant surprise of seeing Tina on the cover, than to see yet another image of the latest glossy mag usual suspects pushing their forgettable movies via magazine promotions, or even a model. Ms. Turner is a class act and she's not someone who appears in magazines all that much lately, I think it is a major coup for Vogue Germany to have someone of her stature on the cover. There are other months in the year to put the current crop of cover stars on the issues, this is memorable because it is so unexpected. Reminds me of back in the days when seeing a celebrity on a magazine cover was a nice change of pace and the stars weren't as overexposed as they are now... :ninja:

That said, the cover image could have been better. I would have loved to see a beautiful black and white shot for this. Of course there is a vitality and power that Tina always has in her images and definitely has here.

I have to say though, this thread is making me think there should be a separate TFS thread on celebrities the world actually WANTS to see on magazine covers, vs. the ones we're bombarded with these days. I look at the mostly positive reactions I'm seeing here and it's so different from the usual responses I see when a celebrity is on the cover of a magazine. I think this is a lesson for publishers - a star doesn't have to be young, or omnipresent to elicit interest and admiration. Bring back some of the old favorites we haven't seen in years, highlight exciting new talent we don't know about yet, just give people something they don't see coming and they'll appreciate it all the more.

Last edited by a moderator:
^really, Tina Turner boring? She's the original cross over queen of Rock and RNB

AMEN!:flower: Give me tina on every cover for every month over beyonce, rihanna, taylor or gaga. she slays them all^_^

What is Tina doing that is relevant right now? [I don't mean that in an insulting way, just seems an unexpected choice for Vogue Germany].
So cheesy with that tagline.
Interested in the Jil Sander feature.

she has lived in Europe for some time so perhaps she is close to the editors? I absolutely love this cover simply for the fact that she is such a refreshing & unexpected cover choice! Her first ever Vogue cover I believe.

Happy to see Tina Turner on the cover of Vogue. And I agree with everyone: she is a legend. She doesn't need to be in fashion or "relevant" to be on the cover!

The byline at the top reads: "A comeback? I'd have to reinvent myself first". Maybe she is up to something after all?

Always such a pleasure to see Tina Turner and what a pleasant yet unexpected surprise to see her on the cover of Vogue Germany. This is really nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->