Vogue India April 2010 : Gia, Nethra, Tinu, Ashika & Esha by Prabuddha Dasgupta

Not to be a spoil sport but there is something problematic about a magazine devoting an editorial to "the skin tone the world covets" something about that rubs me the wrong way, even with the five very beautiful models on the cover. I don't really want to start some debate about the politics of skin color but that tagline seems so odd to me...
I took it more as an empowering line, it'd probably be extremely weird to see a tagline like that in the States or Europe with all the history and migration but considering Indian media have pushed boundaries regarding beauty, openly neglecting their own and celebrating others', I think such a crude line like that would actually benefit more than distress their actual readers.
I don't know, here's me hoping!. :mellow:

To be honest, I'm not feeling the cover, the lighting, landscapes, models and makeup are all working.. the poses and the way they were grouped together feels so fake and the styling is just horrid, it only makes some sense in the Vogue Eyeview shot, other than that, it's like they all brought their own swimwear for the shoot..

and by the way, just because I can't help to be pedantic, the HQ shot is not an HQ, it's the exact same picture that follows it.

thanks for posting!.

I think it's quite enough to show models of the country's ethnicity and no need to state that one skin tone is preferable over another. But hey, I'm getting all politically correct :lol: I really think the skin tone on the cover is quite enough argument for its beauty - all by itself.

As far as the cover goes the blonde girl is putting a shade on the girl to her left, and that is annoying. Otherwise, at least the girls are all quite lovely, natural beauties...but the styling isn't great.

For me personally, group shot is successful if one model is complementing the other.But in this situation, every model is for herself. All of them are giving different emotion with different energy and overall it fails to make an impression and the blode girl is basically screwing the whole cover.

loving the colors of the cover. great model casting.

I got the subscriber copy - same cover picture but in black and white, against a white background and gold Vogue letters and just "The Dawn of Dusk" typed on the cover. Looks good, but if their intent was to celebrate dusky, then the newstand cover version in color seems more suitable.

Editorials:

The Dawn of Dusk
- Dusky models on the sands on Goa --
Models: Vipasha Agarwal, Diva Dhawan, Esha Gupta, Gia Johnson, Ashika Pratt, Nethra Raghuraman, Vaishali Ramaswami, Fiona Thomas, Tinu Verghese
Photographer: Prabuddha Das Gupta

The Talented Mr. Bailey
- A bio of Christopher Bailey by Priya Tanna

African Safari
--Future classics in the scorching sands of the Namibian desert ---
Model: Lisa Hayden
Photographer: James Meakin

Brief Encounter (Reprint)
Models: P diddy and Natalia V
Photographer : Annie Liebovitz

Sweet Escapes
--Looks to crisscross the globe in style --
Model:Esha Gupta
Photographer: Vikram Pathak

Oh BTW, I'm Indian, spend every minute in the sun to get the "skin tone the world covets" ...and I'm glad my subscriber copy doesnt have that ridiculous headline staring at me :smile:

This is one of their better issues. Who's the model in the last pic in post #8? She's stunning! Can't wait for HQs and to see more from this issue.
Gia Johnson. She models for asos.com, there is about a million pics of her

This is literally the first international Vogue group cover shot I've seen without a white girl! :woot: Yay for culture.

It's nice, very nineties. That seems to be the new big thing, eighties and nineties inspired cover shots...

just got this issue today. im very happy with this, its much better than a lot of the previous issues and im glad that they used darker skinned models instead of the typical fair skinned actresses.

Pics looks really good. Can't wait for summer.

beautiful cover, but I think the model in the back should've been placed in the front and the blonde to the back...

the cover looks beautiful but i don't see the fashion
if i didnt look twice I'd bet this was sports illustrated

BeautyisDiverse Thank you for the video !
This issue seems amazing.
I wish I can read this one.
Someone know if it's possible to order this issue on internet or something like that ?

BeautyisDiverse Thank you for the video !
This issue seems amazing.
I wish I can read this one.
Someone know if it's possible to order this issue on internet or something like that ?
Habiba, there are two French sites which sell loads of foreign magazines not only to France but all over the world. One of them is viapresse.com and the other is journaux.fr
If you live in France, check which site has the lowest "frais de ports", I think it is viapresse but I may be wrong.

Stunning video! Informative indeed. Thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"