Vogue Italia August 2012 : Jamie Bochert by Steven Meisel

I think the opposite to an extent (about the story reaching its full potential). The story may not be that deep, but I think there is some definitely some interesting commentary coming through about the women in these pictures, as characters. And that has mostly to do with the use of props on the set. Makes me think about what kind of woman is 'in fashion' right now...or at least what kind of woman they are trying to portray, if any.

In many of them, it's like they're forbidden to leave the kitchen..or their pets. (& I also think that making the kitchen the scene for every picture was an intention that worked out pretty nicely for the story)

Love the use of color and set design.

Very interesting point of view. I like the "forbidden to leave the kitchen" analysis although I hardly doubt women who are tied down to their cutlery, such as homemakers, are "in fashion" right now. If the story was set in the 50s then your idea would make a lot more sense.

Like a previous poster said, Meisel has done similar work for VI before (the Hannelore cover and accompanying ed) to a finer degree. The photos were striking and the mood effective. Just my opinion of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

Looooove the main story! I do actually find it more appealing than last month's.
The title reminds me of Lana Del Rey's "Carmen".

this kinda is perfection. My first glance of the main ed was that this is a bit of a bore, not much going on to interest me and too short in length. But looking a them in high quality has totally changed my mind. The casting is just glorious and i love love love all the scenes of disturbances of life in the details, such as the cupboards being open, the dogs and the casts in the picture ( but not being overexposed or staged in a cliche manner) and even photos and bits and bobs stuck on the fridge. But the best thing is that i fell its a nostalgic ed, but does not feel at all vintage. Well done meisel, i just wish it was way longer!

^ I agree.

The more I look at it the more I love it. The little details in the set like the sink full of dirty dishes, the empty liquor bottles, the grocery bags and scattered chinese food boxes...

It reminds me of young rich girls hitting rock bottom, waiting for their ride to rehab at their dealer's apartment.

I don't even mind Jamie in this, not sure what Hanne is doing there, I guess because Meisel shot her for Moncler. I just wish Laura K made an appearance, she would've been perfect for this!

i like the ed! but some of them look just bored, though that's part of the idea, i think it shouldn't be just that, but i liked meghan collison,anniek kortleve and maybe julia nobis. Anyway, it's good overall!

I really love this. There's a feeling of realness about this story, about the pretty girl all dressed up who got stood up by her date. It's something so mundane and ordinary, but Meisel captured a beautiful melancholic side of it, without being overdramatic. Mary Howard deserves a big kudos for her work here, the set is fantastically well detailed and realistic, it looks like it could one of those model's apartments in NY. Really amazing.

Very interesting point of view. I like the "forbidden to leave the kitchen" analysis although I hardly doubt women who are tied down to their cutlery, such as homemakers, are "in fashion" right now. If the story was set in the 50s then your idea would make a lot more sense.

Like a previous poster said, Meisel has done similar work for VI before (the Hannelore cover and accompanying ed) to a finer degree. The photos were striking and the mood effective. Just my opinion of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

I think that though the art direction and setting is very similar, but the intended effect and mood of this work is evocative in a totally different way.

And it was not my intention to say or express that stay-at-home women are in mode (and if it was, that would sound pretty ridiculous, though I see how the sentence structure may have made it sound that way). But I am thinking more so about what makes the girls so interesting to look at and the narrative so captivating, despite the slightly somber sensibility. What I like most about when Meisel shoots is how aloof his subjects can seem, yet so charged and full of a certain 'it' factor at the same time. The girls really seem to echo exactly what the story could be suggested in each frame and I find that to be an interesting blend of fashion and art. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Aymeline or Vanessa should have been given the cover. I honestly believe they just drew names out of a hat and Jamie came up first. I love the simplicity and the model choice is appropriate for that ed.

Wow, I love the story and it adds great depth to the cover. After seeing the ed I'm more than convinced that Meghan should have gotten this cover. Everything about her shot was pure perfection. Meisel knows how to make her, and everyone else, shine!

though i love Jaimie i dont think it was the best choice for a cover shot, any other shot for from the edit wouldve been better, I think he captured the vibe well and the setting and styling works well

On the fence about this one, parts of it seem sincere but somehow very unexplored as has been said before. Art direction is great but Im underwhelmed by cast's performance. Not sure why Hanne-gabie is here and Julia's pic is truly cliché. Only Anniek and Aymeline give me a cinematic character vibe that I think was needed here in print.

^ i agree, i'm loving the concept but i feel that the models didn't quite nailed the whole mood..
also i think everything is giving me a Balenciaga vibe, it reminds me of the s/s 12 campaign which is a plus for me -_-

The editorial is beyond amazing. Aymeline's shot is my favourite. :wub:

Great editorial with an amazing set. The details within each photo and the perfect casting nailed it for me.

The editorial would b perfect if it wasnt just a girl by herself. I'd find it more believable if they were multiple girls in some of the shots. Im usually stuck in the house with at least one friend trying to figure out what to do :lol:

The theme of Meisel's ed hit me instantly. The backstage video is simply a great micro film.

No review yet?

Vogue Suggestions - photos by KT Auleta. Models : Ava Smith, Kate King, Jasmine Tookes. Stylist: Giulio Martinelli (21 pages)

Vogue Beauty - photos by Emma Summerton - Model: JP, Tian, Josephine Skriver Stylist : Patti Wilson (8 pages)

Divina - Photos by Vincent Peters. Sylist: Valentina Serra (10 pages, model unkwnown:(

Lana del Rey by Ellen Von Unwerth, Stylist Cathy Kasterine (13 pages)

Georgia May Jagger . A beauty of today. Photos by Iain McKell. Stylist Giulio Martinelli (10 pages)

issue is 196 pages and there's a shopping in vogue supplement

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->