Vogue Italia July 2019 : The 'DNA' Issue by Alasdair McLellan, Theo Sion & Harley Weir

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by anaa lpz, Jul 3, 2019.

1. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

2. MDNA

MDNA Well-Known Member

No no no, I want GB back already.

Zposen likes this.
  3. Conbothsides

Conbothsides Active Member

Is the new creative director the one also responsible for recent Versace campaigns? Well expect more atrocious stickers and DIY letters.

Nothing makes sense to me, especially how they scream ITALIA on the covers. They could've stuck to just fashion instead of throwing around random ideas.

RedSmokeRise, TommysBaby and Lola701 like this.
  4. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

I love Gigi and Karen’s covers. Too bad they ruined it with those DNA marks.
    How to sabotage your own magazine.

TommysBaby likes this.
  5. rwwwwww

rwwwwww Member

6. Benn98

Benn98 Well-Known Member

Not a single redeeming cover! And why would anyone cover Imaan's face up like that?? Is it to make the other covers stand out?

Ridiculous covers, ridiculous concept. I'm sorry for Alasdair because I know this is his debut cover, but this is simply atrocious. And the mere fact that they had to use Meisel and M&M to hype these covers when in actual fact I cannot see the relevance, is cringeworthy. What does that say about Alasdair?

7. MON

MON Well-Known Member

Hehe knew it. A new creative director will not save this magazine. The EIC is the main problem. Terrible.

What does all of these have to do with DNA?

If DNA means Delete Now At all costs then it makes sense

I never clamor for a person to leave his job, but Farneti has to go.

phungnam96 and Benn98 like this.
  8. mepps

mepps Well-Known Member

The covers themselves are not bad, but the whole DNA angle is absolutely ridiculous, and hilarious. Farneti hasn't lost the plot, because he's never had a plot for this magazine.

AFWQ and TommysBaby like this.
  9. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

This is what happens when you go with a gimmick that is just so ridiculous! I will say Gigi's cover is giving me some Sofia C. by Meisel old school VI vibes, but still...NO!

vogue28 and franceslions like this.
  10. fierrousa

fierrousa Member

And people here were hating Giovanni Vission, ... Well now u have it. Vogue Italia is a New Hidrid of between Dazzed, Love and a bunch of pretencious mags.
    Alasdair loos so English, the beautifull Iman sin and face all covered with a wig , really? Also they have to use one of the worst collection of the season. French LV ?
    DNA is a JOKE

11. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I really like the concept of a 'recursive cover' where someone is shown reading a copy of the very same magazine they're fronting, ad infinitum. The great shame is how this novel idea has now been pissed away as part of such a poor issue.

GivenchyAddict likes this.
  12. Sensation

Sensation V.I.P.

I like Gigi's cover.

13. TommysBaby

TommysBaby Member

Firstly, none of the covers have anything to do with DNA or even "Italia". The actual photos of Karen and Gigi are good but Imaan's image is bad. Why would they do that to her? I really think a single cover with Gigi's shot (because that's the strongest image) and good art direction (maybe different styling) would have made for a good, classic cover. But they ruined it with the "Italia" - looks very cheap. I'll wait for the content which might better reflect the "DNA" concept but what a missed opportunity! Imaan! Karen! Gigi! All three models can be trusted to deliver a good cover - but they had to show themselves as edgy and off-beat. :eyeroll:

14. Koibito

Koibito Active Member

So gimmicky, just like LOVE magazine.

15. jorgepalomo

jorgepalomo Well-Known Member

The new graphic designer needs to take a basic lesson of how not use the lasso tool if you need to put the masthead over the model's head.

16. Joromana

Joromana Active Member

This is.... REALLLLY bad......... wow

17. slayage

slayage Member

I don’t despise these but I’m not a fan either. At least this is something different and I’m always here for a change, was it a bad or great.

The main problem I have is that I think these covers look messy. Why not just go with the big ’ITALIA’ text or just with the ’The DNA Issue’, why have them both? Too much going on and it’s hard to focus on the actual cover.

18. aracic

aracic Well-Known Member

Too much. Gigi's picture is absolutely stunning and I like the complete cover as well, Imaan looks like a disaster from some hair magazine you flick through at your local hair salon and Karen's cover is too busy and too close up.

TommysBaby likes this.
  19. GivenchyAddict

GivenchyAddict Well-Known Member

Too litteral. Not interested. There is no convo to engage on dna and how we came from different communities as they just put a blatant sponsored covers by Louis Vuitton.

Franca and Meisel made people have conversations about surgery, domestic violence, etc in so much "violent" or funny way.

They should hire Phyllis Posnick, she knows how to use fashion for an intellectual topic.

franceslions and tigerrouge like this.
  20. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

Karen’s cover would have been good with a different background. The grey is too harsh and cheap looking.