Vogue Italia June 2008 : Linda Evangelista by Steven Meisel

It is very disheartening for me to see how much ageism there is in these mag threads whenever someone considered older is on a cover. Linda is a model that truly enjoys what she does & she's had a long & stellar career...which most of the younger models of today can only dream of having. Women only become more interesting as the get older. It's fine if you don't like the cover or edit...but the ageism comments are really disempowering to all women.
I agree and second everything you wrote, i think some comments are to harsh, Linda is a fashion icon who earned her status and she aint going nowhere!

Love the edit, Hate the cover....although I will give them credit for being creative with the title and fitting it in to the imagery!:P

I prefer VOGUE Italia when it looks modern. This ed should have been shot for US VOGUE instead.

The cover is cute and fun - not remarkably beautiful but at least it's not ugly like last month's cover.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can understand people don't like this.... it's not usual recent Meisel energy...
but i, i just love it.....

Queen Linda II is giving hommage to chic and elegance and old noblesse's fashion love.... conservative and classic to death but ... great!!!!
The styling is good, as well.... the picture with the pink-black-dots glove IS FABULOUS !!!!

sometimes you just find it brilliant when it's classic.....

:heart::heart::heart:i am so happy that linda has a new magazine cover!! there are some photos that i like, but there are others that make linda look old! But i still am so happy... tears of joy!:woot::woot::woot::woot:

am i the only one that kinda loves this cover?
at least, it's different!

Love Linda but the cover is ugly and the ed is very 90' no like expecting more

I really don't like this cover nor the ed. Even Linda doesn't shine in her usual way in this one.

Tragic. I hate the cover model, the final result is atrocious and the ed is boring... Thank you, Vogue Italia, for making me save €6 every month ^_^

Not happy with this.I was never a fan of Linda, and this cover just looks like it came from a time capsule from the early 90's.The edit is ok, but not at all my favorite.

Not a fan of the cover, but I really adore the editorial! Go Linda!

just got the issue..quick review now

Vogue Close-Up
13 pages
Ph: Steve Hiett
Stylist: Kai Margrander
Model: UTM

Vogue Beauty
9 pages
Ph: Greg Lotus
Stylist: Sara Maino
Model UTM

The Duchess
22 pages
Ph: Steven Meisel
Stylist: Andrew Richardson
Model: Linda Evangelista

Maggie Cheung
22 pages
Ph: Peter Lindbergh
Stylist: Michael Philouze
'Model': Maggie Cheung obviously

A Play of Colours
5 pages, another beuty edit
Ph: Mario Sorrenti
Stylist: Andrew Richardson
Model: Anabela Belikova

Lucy Liu
10 pages
Ph: Stephane Sednaoui
Stylist: Alice Gentilucci
'Model': Lucy Liu

Gleams
18 pages
Ph: Emma Summerton
Stylist: Patti Wilson
Model: Anja Rubik

I can't scan at the moment..will try pics soon

It is very disheartening for me to see how much ageism there is in these mag threads whenever someone considered older is on a cover. Linda is a model that truly enjoys what she does & she's had a long & stellar career...which most of the younger models of today can only dream of having. Women only become more interesting as the get older. It's fine if you don't like the cover or edit...but the ageism comments are really disempowering to all women.

I completely agree with you, I hate the current turnover rate of models. Besides Vogue Italia uses new faces on ninety percent of it's covers so one cover with an established icon is not going to hurt anyone. It must kinda suck to be a woman when everyone is obsessed with 13 year old, sullen looking little girls like Agnete or Masha or whatever other flavor of the month.

I couldn't agree with you more MMA - I do not understand the ageism that occurs sometimes. A beautiful face is a beautiful face whether it is attached to a teenager or a mature woman. Faces only become more interesting with age - time is what gives them character. Linda looks elegant and beautiful in this editorial - the cover is a little RL but the pictures within are stellar. Surprisingly prim for Vogue Italia but not entirely unheard of - Meisel loves to play with the imagery of ladies who lunch, socialites and their ilk. I recall his beautiful edit with Daria also for VI wherein he worked with a similar theme.

One of the great things about VI is that you really never know who will be on the cover each month - its a great surprise. Sometimes you are treated to an icon like Linda or Karen other times you get a great new model who is experiencing her first moments in the limelight and still other times a celebrity shot in a new and interesting way. I think the magazine keeps us on our toes in that respect.

I'll be interested in seeing what other content there is this month - should be interesting. I love Lucy Lui - quite interested in seeing her shots, she's so gorgeous.

i love the ed and cover! She is a genius and easily gets into any character

as much as i love the idea and how the cover & the feature story are crafted, i didnt bother clicking the thumbnails. meisel-perfect interpretation as always but perfectly empty.

anyway, this wont make me buy vogue italia and i repeat, linda evangelista is just ugly and dumb-looking.

?

"Ugly and Dumb looking"
can you please tell me who is to you a beautiful woman? cause you gotta be kidding calling a supermodel this high ugly

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->