Vogue Italia June 2015 : The China Issue

Speaking generally, you can hire someone to reproduce Meisel's photographic style, but his work is more than a "style". Meisel excels at the reinterpretation of "history" through a modern lens. Those who are familiar with his source material appreciate the twist he gives it within the frame of fashion, and those who are unfamiliar are given the chance to get acquainted with a potentially interesting piece of culture - an iconic model, a classic movie. This is what you lose, if you lose Meisel.

I do agree.

Pure Meisel rip-off....I mean M&M's pages...:o

Can someone translate the italian write up for Fei Fei. I see Ethel Granger mentioned in there.

Fei Fei Sun

"The first time I left China was in the fall of 2010, to do a fashion show in London. I only knew a few words in other languages, so I always carried a small dictionary. I didn’t even understand my agent when he spoke. In addition to the language barrier, I remember it was freezing cold and I ran from one casting to another. I was alone. I had a city map to find my way, but it was in English. One day, at an intersection, I realized that I was completely lost. I didn’t know where to go and I was terrified I wouldn’t make it to the casting, which was very important to me. I was about to cry. At that moment I put my hands in my pockets to keep warm, and found a note written by my boyfriend before I left... It is thanks to that coincidence that I am here today". The parable of Fei Fei Sun, 26, originally from a quiet village in northern China and the first Asian model to appear alone on the cover of Vogue Italy (January 2013), is encapsulated in this alternative version of Lost in Translation. In fact, her young life seems the demonstration - aesthetically convincing – of a well-known Chinese proverb: "The man who moves mountains starts by taking away the smallest stones". She moved her first pebble in junior high school, when her mother enrolled her in a modeling school to correct the slouching posture typical of an overly tall teenager. Fei Fei loved it, so much so that upon graduating high school she entered the Fashion Design program at Soochow University. Second pebble: in 2008, after two weeks of competing in the Elite Model Look contest in Shanghai, she won the title of ‘Champion of Asia’, placing third in the world rankings. An historic achievement, never reached by an Asian model. Thereafter she moved as many pebbles as she set precedents, constantly on the catwalk or posing for the ad campaigns of brands like DSquared2, Prada, Louis Vuitton, Giorgio Armani Beauty, Diesel, H&M, Christian Dior and Valentino. Right up to this spread, "sexy and cool, inspired by the style of Ethel Granger", shot in England by Mert & Marcus. Despite her continuous travels around the world, Fei Fei decided to settle down in New York. "Manhattan pulses with energy: I chose it because it welcomes all foreigners with kindness and friendship", she explains. Paradoxically, it was in the Big Apple that she discovered the extraordinary scope of Chinese fashion culture. "It happened a few weeks ago, before the Met Gala in honor of the Through the Looking Glass exhibition. A film series, collections by Chinese designers, vintage Western clothes influenced by Eastern imagery. Although I grew up in China, I had never seen any of this! And I must say that seeing them all together made me feel very proud of my country. Back home fashion is growing fast. Many designers go to study abroad and then return to work in China, where they find support and the social media are literally going crazy for fashion". This is demonstrated by the shopping numbers, especially online sales, dominated by enterprising and confident young people. "What the Chinese kids want are fun, cool, easy and chic clothes. Of Western taste, but not too expensive or frivolous". Spoken by someone named by Models.com as one of the faces to follow for her impeccable street style that mixes simple and colorful garments. "The example comes from my mother. I remember that she made beautiful sweaters by hand for the winter holidays when I was little. The same goes for cooking: the dumplings she made for New Year's were like a party within the party, because she used to hide good luck coins in some of them". Today her relationship with New York also has a culinary component. "I love to browse the Union Square farmers markets for the best organic ingredients to cook my favorite dish for friends, rice with stewed pork; or wandering in the East Village to discover new Chinese, Japanese and American restaurants". Although she has moved many pebbles, Fei Fei feels that she still hasn’t moved the mountain. "I am grateful to all those who have helped me so far. It is an honor to have been the first Chinese model on the cover of the American, Italian and Turkish editions of Vogue. But I haven’t yet reached the pinnacle of my career. I’m still moving ahead”. There remains a curiosity. What was written in the note she found in her pocket? "Be brave, baby!" And the rest is history.
vogue.it

what a stunning edition of vogue italia... imho the best in years... especially the steven klein editorial... i do not understand the negative comments... everything i have seen looks incredible... well i for one am definitely investing in this one! :heart:

a big thank you to @miguelalmeida for sharing all those wonderful hq images! :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mélange said:
especially the steven klein editorial... i do not understand the negative comments...

I am a one for Klein's ed here. Patti Wilson's styling is amazing and works best with Klein's photography as usual. For me this and M&M's story are the best in this issue.

I still strongly feel Meisel's absence though. It's been only one issue yet and such bluechip photographers made contributions for it, but I don't see they make such remarkable images as Meisel had done for VI. He is the identity of VI himself, and I think Franca needs to get him back to keep it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My copy has been waiting in the store for over a week now and I've only just motivated myself to go pick it up. They had the McDean cover for me which I'm not too bothered about because I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the issue. I will be giving it a leaf through at some point though and just maybe I'll find something of interest.

My copy has been waiting in the store for over a week now and I've only just motivated myself to go pick it up. They had the McDean cover for me which I'm not too bothered about because I'm not in the slightest bit interested in the issue. I will be giving it a leaf through at some point though and just maybe I'll find something of interest.

Ewww.... I'd pass on that if that's all they had in stock. A cheap or free digital edition would suffice for me, unless you want to add it to your collection.

Very lackluster issue with the exception of the Mert & Marcus edit featuring Fei Fei.

McDean's video is the best! Love every nuance in that presentation.

Jesus, hated so much this issue at the time. Was the first non Meisel one. Broke my heart. Here is were all started to decline, but of course Sozzani's direction was above the mediocrity of these times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->