Vogue Italia June 2015 : The China Issue

^Really? I see it only in the cover... The ed is very non-Meisel to me. Meisel would rarely go for those poses. I think it's the best ed out of the bunch.

Klein's AWFUL.

Sorry for doubleposting, but just wanted to compare M&M's to Meisel's ed. I think Meisel is deeper and fancier, and the B&W is more yellowish, but there's definitely a huge similarity...

Meisel
M&M

I'm not impressed with any of the edits posted so far. There's something off in every single one of them. M&M's editorial, while passable, seems to be a mash-up of their Givenchy campaigns and their last Interview cover story with Madonna. If Franca's biggest issue with Meisel was exclusivity and unique ideas then she's got her work cut out with this lot.

The fact that Franca signed for these to be published is the biggest joke of them all. Come on girl, you are introducing a new era! Can't you at least lift it a little? Has she also forgotten that she's working at Vogue? It might not be a completely new era since Meisel might still come back but the fact that he came from being a staple photographer down to a recurring one is still definitely a new era for Vogue Italia and still she didn't even want to start things with a bang? I can't even.

I miss Meisel already & I hope he returns ...

This issue is BORING!
Although that shoot by M&M is perhaps the best in this issue that shoot is typical Vogue Paris and not Vogue Italia and it's boring

I expected more from their (all the photographers) debut on Vogue Italia! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
She should have chosen Solve Sundsbo, Jamie Hawkesworth, Michal Pudelka and Mikael Jansson for this issue.
Even if this was supposed to make history, I have doubts about people remembering this in 10 years. I'm sure people will remember the Meisel China story for American Vogue...

Mert and Marcus' ed is gorgeous! I really love it, further proof that they should have just gone with Fei Fei's cover, at least in my eyes. I really like McDean's edit as well.

Sorry for doubleposting, but just wanted to compare M&M's to Meisel's ed. I think Meisel is deeper and fancier, and the B&W is more yellowish, but there's definitely a huge similarity...

Meisel
M&M

I thought this too. I wasn't fond of Meisel's story and I'm not overwhelmed at Mert and Marcus' either. As MON mentioned, Franca's introducing a new era of Italian Vogue and all I'm seeing is the same old stuff but with new photographers, just shooting the same stories. Because Vogue Italia's on a standing order at my local store, I'll get this particular issue but if this type of content keeps up then I won't think twice about cancelling. Meisel's contributions need to be consecutive and not just sporadically!

I wonder how everyone else has reacted toward Meisel's absence (the avid Italian readers)? I recall everyone ranting about how they were cancelling and discarding of their copies of American Vogue when Kim Kardashian was on the cover. Now for me.. this here is a REAL reason to cancel because there's zero creativity or innovation.

is this M&M's ed inspired by Ethel Granger? it's like Meisel's "The discipline of fashion" part 2

Exactly my first thought too!

That being said, it's funny how every time I got to open a VI thread people would say things like "Meisel's time is over", "Meisel's work is outdated" and all the shadow they could to him and wishing to see him departing VI. And now that he, indeed, left, people started praising him like he was the best thing VI had. Make your mind, please.

I'm happy to see new things. Too bad these new things are too close to Meisel's past works. VI needs fresh blood ASAP.

i think MM is the best story on this issue....Do not know to say very vogue paris bc they contribute there but not on the same level of Meisel at VI.
what it lacked on this new VI is the cinematic feeling of Meisel's work.
I do not think it's a new era bc we already seen this editorials on other magazines.

Miles aldridge would be a better choice for one cover....instead of being only the beauty photographer.....or Tim Walker (instead on Klein)

if Franca wants change,she have to bring new or less established blood up front and go for it....what about Jamie Hawkesworth?

This would be a good issue if it had all these eds PLUS Meisel's cover story. Without it it just feels so... empty.

Speaking generally, you can hire someone to reproduce Meisel's photographic style, but his work is more than a "style". Meisel excels at the reinterpretation of "history" through a modern lens. Those who are familiar with his source material appreciate the twist he gives it within the frame of fashion, and those who are unfamiliar are given the chance to get acquainted with a potentially interesting piece of culture - an iconic model, a classic movie. This is what you lose, if you lose Meisel.

Even in HQ, I still see Vogue Paris / W. I'm sorry but this isn't Vogue Italia for me

Actually I quite like the beauty editorial, it seems to be ironically funny. And talk about the irony, some people were getting bored with Meisel's works and now just drown this month issue without mercy :lol:

it looks like W magazine. aka BORING.

VI has an identity, they need to keep that.

I would like to see Vogue Italia with Hans Feurer in the Beauty section, Lindbergh and all "signature" photographers doing really mesmerizing work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->