Vogue Mexico & Latin America January 2019 : Yalitza Aparicio & Irina Shayk

I saw Roma on the big screen last week and was wowed by the film. Her performance was absolutely stunning. Great cover for Yalitza!

So wait, Yalitza is only on the digital cover??

Yalitza's cover fits well for Latin America. What a crime if they change it.

Irina and Hana :heart: I'm suprised to see Martin Parr in a fashion magazine, he's like Steve McCurry shooting for Pirelli and Valentino or Paolo Pellegrin, so unexpected. I'm glad I restarted my Vogue collection when Karla took the helm. Vogue México became bigger and better.

Way better than most international Vogues. She definitely upped the prestige at the very least. I like their model casting. It's very up to date. Even more than bigger editions like China, Germany and Australia. Just a bit irked at the short edits. 6 Pages is not enough to tell a story. But then I've noticed that the last issue the Latin American edition normally adds 2 or more pages to an edit.

There's are also some small issues. Mainly layout. Why for instance ruin that beautiful edit with Hana by showing product shots? They should have enough faith in their audience to read a story based on the images alone.

Yalitza's cover and editorial is easily the most memorable Vogue Mexico did in years. I think the reason why it's so stunning may be because it was creative by a native team, and not someone sitting in Miami. More of this would certainly be welcoming.

It's also the anniversary issue of Vogue Mexico, and I was appalled to see their debut cover was a reprint of Winona Ryder from US Vogue. Granted, she is wearing that gorgeous Galliano jumper and dress combo, but still. Anyway, look how far they've come!

Last edited:
In october of the next year they will turn 20 years, so it's expected to see special contents till that month. The first issue in Argentina (and it was named 'Vogue Argentina') was a reprint of Nicole Kidman by Steven Meisel. I saw it in the argentinian ebay :smile: By the way, I'm happy to see Luna again. Hope they won't cut this one!

Now that is a cover! I was completely captivated by the actual woman - not just the beauty of the image, or just the styling. Stunning! I think this is the best Vogue cover I have seen in years and I’m thrilled the cover star is someone who should be celebrated!

These were the first issues of Vogue Mexico and Latin America, 20 years ago. You can notice the differences

lote-6-revistas-vogue-argentina-anos-80-1999-2000-moda-mujer-D-N.jpg

mercadolibre Argentina

One of the pictures from Luna editorial made it to Vogue Brasil January cover....they gonna share contents now???

Not an awful cover of Irina by any stretch, but I wonder why Yalitza couldn't get both covers. Could have been an even powerful statement because I think her covering Vogue represents more than just indigenous Mexican beauty donedone justice. I imagine someone in Peru, Guatemala or Ecuador for instance can look at this cover and feel validated and acknowledged too. Seasons aside, I find this separatist idea of Vogue Mexico next to the Latin American edition very odd at times. Like they're taking pains to make sure we don't get the two confused.

Anyway. Happy Christmas, TFSers. :flower::magic:

Same for you Benn :heart: Irina's cover is gorgeous, it's beautiful, but yes, they should have save her for february. The multicovers things makes me mad, but I'm happy when they pick the good one for Latin America (Hana Jirickova in october of 2017 or Birgit Kos in the september edition). I don't know wht to think this time. Kelly Talamas, the former EIC of VM, said back in december of 2015 (I don't own those issues anymore because an stupid accident :cry:) that her and Sarah Gore Reeves create in january the line up of cover girls for the rest of the year, I think that they have a deal with models agencies and brands. I suspect that they have started the multicovers stuff for this, but I find it very unffair for readers. This thread was full of flowers until Irina's cover came out. I'm a models guy, I love Irina so much, but I'm so happy for Yalitza, she's real and necessary for the world.

At least Chris Colls' ed with Luna was better than this one

The Irina cover onslaught continues. Points for longevity.

‘We can do it’: Yalitza Aparicio’s Vogue cover hailed by indigenous women

Roma actor’s Vogue Mexico cover is first for country where light-skinned people dominate media landscape

David Agren in Mexico City
Fri 21 Dec 2018 17.15 GMTLast modified on Fri 21 Dec 2018 19.31 GMT

The indigenous Mexican actor Yalitza Aparicio has made history by appearing on the cover of Vogue Mexico, in a first for a country where light-skinned people dominate the media landscape – despite an overwhelmingly mestizo and indigenous population.
Aparicio, who has won acclaim for her debut performance in Alfonso Cuarón’s new film Roma, wears a Gucci dress on the magazine’s December edition, next to the title “In tiu’n ntav’i” – “A star is born” – in the indigenous Mixtec language.

In a video released by Vogue, Aparicio, a preschool teacher from Oaxaca state, said: “Certain stereotypes are being broken: that only people with a certain profile can be actresses or be on the cover of magazines.

“Other faces of Mexico are now being recognized. It is something that makes me happy and proud of my roots.”

Her appearance on the cover of the magazine’s Mexico and Latin America edition was hailed by indigenous women. “I saw it and wow! It was very powerful. Just like she did, others will say: ‘We can do it,’” said Esther Poot, 24, an indigenous Maya activist and preschool teacher in south-eastern Quintana Roo state.

“We can continue raising our voices and say ‘yes’, as indigenous women we can go on television and come out in movies or appear on the cover a magazine. It’s exciting, but also motivating,” she said.
Mexico portrays its pre-Hispanic history in heroic terms, while demonizing Spanish conquistadors such as Hernán Cortés, but modern day indigenous peoples are portrayed less glowingly – if they are portrayed at all.

Indigenous Mexicans comprise 15% of the population but are often marginalized from public life and politics, and many live in poverty.

Aparicio’s magazine appearance comes shortly after the country swore in a new government led by populist president Andrés Manuel López Obrador, who has promised to put a priority on indigenous issues.

“Some media outlets are getting that sensibilities in Mexico are changing,” Federico Navarrete, author of the Alphabet of Mexican Racism, told El País. “It’s incredible that in 2019, 80% of the population of Mexico – those who look like Yalitza Aparicio – are not represented in the Mexican press.”

A survey by BuzzFeed Mexico showed the vast majority of people featured in Mexican magazines were white – with some publications having just 2% of its photos showing mestizo or indigenous people.

Skeptics noted that Aparicio appeared in the US edition of Vanity Fair before Vogue Mexico put her on its cover, while some online reaction to her cover has been explicitly racist.

“It shouldn’t be so surprising, but it is and that’s because of the racism we experience in the country and the exclusion of indigenous people historically,” said Betina Cruz Velázquez, a leader of the Binnizá community in the Isthmus region of southern Oaxaca state.

“The whole idea that indigenous people are not attached to western ideas or western beauty stereotypes causes people to be surprised that an indigenous woman can use an expensive dress and be on a magazine cover that isn’t targeting indigenous people.”

TheGuardian.com

I'm in awe of Yalitza's performance in Rome, more than the actual film actually. Absolutely love this. Wish I could find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->