Vogue Portugal January 2018 : Alessandra Ambrosio by Branislav Simoncik

Really stunning covers. My favourite is the first - nice to see Alessandra get to do something a little different for a change.

I often don't understand this community. This cover is art school 101, glamour close up + lots of negative space= amazing cover. Come on, we've been here numerous times in over 6 decades. All the swooning over this cover probably says more about the monsoon of dreadful covers that we're used to these days than it says anything about the artistic quality of this cover in particular.

Last edited by a moderator:
They really hit it out of the park on this one, it just shows what a long way they've come since doing reprints as covers a few years ago.

Love all three especially the first one. It's great to see smth different from Ale, and kudos to Vogue Portugal for producing another interesting and creative cover. It's them and VU that I find captivating these days when it comes to mag covers.

I often don't understand this community. This cover is art school 101, glamour close up + lots of negative space= amazing cover. Come on, we've been here numerous times in over 6 decades. All the swooning over this cover probably says more about the monsoon of dreadful covers that we're used to these days than it says anything about the artistic quality of this cover in particular.

Not entirely fair, Vitamine. If you're disputing the praise for this cover, why not the praise Vogue Italia gets (used to get)? Or Vogue Ukraine? Is it because they're often more grittier?
Then you get to the context - this is Vogue Portugal.....hovered to be slightly above Vogue Taiwan in terms of fashion insider opinion. Used mostly reprinted shots. Went for a more commercial approach when they did manage to shoot their own covers. And now we have this revamp.

I will agree with you that what they're doing is not entirely original. Everyone is going indie right now and that's perhaps more due to the shift of contemporary readers (millenials, hipsters), than the state of affairs. Getting all the elements right is not as formulaic as you make it sound. They know their readers are primarily consumers of glamour and fashion (this is still Vogue.) But while catering to their needs, why not add a fresh twist to it by incorporating creativity as well? That's the job of hf magazines after all.
In addition, they're also giving each cover to a different photographer which furthers the promotion of young and rare talent, something many of the top titles never seemed to care about. Because the reason why we are bombarded by Weber, Meisel, Testino, Demarchelier, Leibovitz many years after their golden age has passed is because nobody else bothered to push for new icons. Not the ones who matter, anyway.

Ultimately they should be applauded for doing something, anything, to innovate what seemed to be an ailing title instead of blindly churning out the same commercial fluff while slowly withering away.

I love the first and third cover. Proud of Branislav Simoncik again for scoring another Vogue cover.

What intersting and engaging covers, the first two are definitely the strongest.

Wow, these are splendid. I love Vogue Portugal and Ukraine for challenging themselves with something different every time.

The video appears much sexier than the covers would lead one to believe, but I must say Ale looks incredibly sophisticated here. Cannot wait to see the entire editorial.

Not entirely fair, Vitamine. If you're disputing the praise for this cover, why not the praise Vogue Italia gets (used to get)? Or Vogue Ukraine? Is it because they're often more grittier?
Then you get to the context - this is Vogue Portugal.....hovered to be slightly above Vogue Taiwan in terms of fashion insider opinion. Used mostly reprinted shots. Went for a more commercial approach when they did manage to shoot their own covers. And now we have this revamp.

I will agree with you that what they're doing is not entirely original. Everyone is going indie right now and that's perhaps more due to the shift of contemporary readers (millenials, hipsters), than the state of affairs. Getting all the elements right is not as formulaic as you make it sound. They know their readers are primarily consumers of glamour and fashion (this is still Vogue.) But while catering to their needs, why not add a fresh twist to it by incorporating creativity as well? That's the job of hf magazines after all.
In addition, they're also giving each cover to a different photographer which furthers the promotion of young and rare talent, something many of the top titles never seemed to care about. Because the reason why we are bombarded by Weber, Meisel, Testino, Demarchelier, Leibovitz many years after their golden age has passed is because nobody else bothered to push for new icons. Not the ones who matter, anyway.

Ultimately they should be applauded for doing something, anything, to innovate what seemed to be an ailing title instead of blindly churning out the same commercial fluff while slowly withering away.

Benn98, I often agree with you, but you are forgetting a few points here. As I have a bit more insider info regarding this "new" Vogue, let me share:

- Although the covers and the (very few) editorials inside looks different and fresh when comparing to the old Vogue PT, the actual written content is fairly the same. It maintain the same privileged snoozefest and always, plenty of articles that I could bet are nothing but translations from articles posted elsewhere. A huge turn off;
- The price doubled. The magazine now costs 5€ in Portugal for a few more pages and same paper quality/format. People aren't happy about that since they did nothing but clean the magazine face a bit;
- They aren't giving the covers to different photographers. From the last three covers (the covers with the new team), two were shot by the same photographer that is, actually, the magazine's director (the other one was shot by Dan Beleiu). Besides the main ed, shot by him, you have only one or two other editorials. It's like the Meisel/VI thing but here the photographer is also the magazine's boss. It's quite promiscuous and sad since we have plenty of talented new photographers here.

I'm just saying this so people stop thinking Vogue Portugal is the new holy grail. It's far from being on track. It still has a lot of problems and still needs a lot of work.

Photographer: Branislav Simoncik
Stylist: Jan Králíček
Hair: Benoit Moenaert
Make-Up: Vincent Oquendo
Model: Alessandra Ambrosio

Vogue Portugal Digital Edition

^Thank you so much, Zorka! do you have the cover with/without texts? ^_^:flower:

EVERYTHING for you, my precious! :flower:

(However, not the best quality IMO, but I have no doubt they will suffice eventually...)

Vogue Portugal Digital Edition

This is such an incredible editorial, the picture in the bathtub is definitely my favourite.

Wow, gorgeous editorial. :wub:

In a PRE-digital copy I got - you know, I have a friend, who has a friend, who has a friend and so on! :smile: - there weren't these 5 images which I later found online and came to a conclusion they has to be outtake (or not?). However, I'll wait for a regular digital copy and see it for myself...

highfashionliving.com, xst-nxght.tumblr.com, instagram.com/alessandraambrosio, fashiongonerogue.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->