Vogue Portugal January 2018 : Alessandra Ambrosio by Branislav Simoncik

Benn98, I often agree with you, but you are forgetting a few points here. As I have a bit more insider info regarding this "new" Vogue, let me share:

- Although the covers and the (very few) editorials inside looks different and fresh when comparing to the old Vogue PT, the actual written content is fairly the same. It maintain the same privileged snoozefest and always, plenty of articles that I could bet are nothing but translations from articles posted elsewhere. A huge turn off;
- The price doubled. The magazine now costs 5€ in Portugal for a few more pages and same paper quality/format. People aren't happy about that since they did nothing but clean the magazine face a bit;
- They aren't giving the covers to different photographers. From the last three covers (the covers with the new team), two were shot by the same photographer that is, actually, the magazine's director (the other one was shot by Dan Beleiu). Besides the main ed, shot by him, you have only one or two other editorials. It's like the Meisel/VI thing but here the photographer is also the magazine's boss. It's quite promiscuous and sad since we have plenty of talented new photographers here.

I'm just saying this so people stop thinking Vogue Portugal is the new holy grail. It's far from being on track. It still has a lot of problems and still needs a lot of work.

I think this assessment is pretty fair and spot on . Where are the models ? Ambrosio is way over her peak . Same for Barbara Palvin . Hana Soukova I haven’t seen in years and Karolina Kurkova gets the top model award out of this crew but it’s definitely a Eastern Euro movement.
Do you really feel this is indie fashion ? It doesn’t feel like a Vogue which I would be a concern if I’m the publishers. Are they getting a lot of advertising . Advertisers must wonder why there are no top models wearing top designers in pictures showcasing the clothes . The April covers are very odd . Foggy window covers with models defused and clothes unrecognizable. Then , out of nowhere , a bold blue nude cover with a man and a woman.

Back to the Ambrosio Issue: long editorial with a very odd styling direction . Clearly the story is about her.

Can you tell me how many main stream advertisers they have ?

Also , be very curious as to the response at the CNILLux conference with Suzy Menkes. I’d feel very outmatched given the company .

Wish them the best but they should embrace Portugal and it’s beautiful cities . Start to mix it up .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tunagurl95
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->