Vogue South Africa (1960s)

callmejaeden

Reaction score
Vogue South Africa is probably the most elusive Vogue publication aside from Vogue Argentina, compared to Vogue New Zealand which has almost all of its covers easily available online, I've only been able to find one cover of Vogue South Africa (and one for the British Vogue supplement for South Africa & Rhodesia, which is fully available online and I will post in here).

The earliest mention I have found of Vogue South Africa (within Vogue) is the November 1st 1962 issue and the last mention is the December 1966 issue. The National Library of South Africa's catalogue say they have two volumes (Summer 1963 and Winter 1964). To my knowledge only one cover is available online of the magazine which is a Midsummer issue seen below.
923812-647805448672350-207042518-n.jpg

source: _andrewwhiley_ on Instagram.com

Sorry about the long title! Anyways the cover below was shot by Eugene Vernier and according to the writing cover this is the first South African/Rhodesian supplement. Also I got the entirety of the scans from redressingvogue.co.za made by Jade Nair for a University project so thanks to her for scanning this rare issue. Would be great if anyone could identify the model!
Vogue Supplement for South Africa & Rhodesia - №1 | Summer 1955
source: redressingvogue.co.za
Photographer: Eugene Vernier
Description of the cover from within the issue: Heavenly blue skies, heavenly blue sun dress and bandeau; the complexion sheltered by a huge straw hat (see our advice on summer beauty, page 52) Grafton's Grafagleam cotton. Make-up by Elizabeth Arden; powder, Invisible Veil No.7, Desert Pink lipstick, Blue-vert eye shado. Sunglasses by Thurgar Bollé. Hats by Otto Lucas at Stuttafords, Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban. Cotton, beauty preparations, sunglasses, also at Stuttafords; and at Barbour, Rhodesia
Editor: Rosemary Cooper
Managing Director: H.W. Yoxall
Thread for the supplement :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->