Vogue Ukraine June 2018 : Taja Feistner by Alexander Saladrigas

amby

Reaction score
Source @vogue_ukraine Instagram

32597063_10155699064643031_4891188071845855232_n.jpg

Instant love from me! Thank God for Vogue Ukraine. I'm not big on the literal mimicked pose, without the tacky panther the image would've been telling enough.

This is really cool! It's the right model choice, I'd say.

Love it so much! Fierce Feline!

That's fabulous but I'm not so sure about the composition. Everything is so.. parallel and horizontal.

It's an interesting cover but I'm not sure if I like it.

I guess I just need to understand that this hipster-kitsch-analogue aesthetic is the new world order. I guess the 40+ years old buyers of Vogue just want to feel younger and fresh and mimic this Instagram born aesthetic.

I just can't believe a girl on her fours mimicking a panther statue, with said statue on the back, wearing a very Parisian 70s beach look (Jacquemus?) represents Vogue. This could easily be a cover for System Magazine but I just don't feel it.

Saladrigas work was much more suited for magazines like Paper and Dazed.

Now I've read the tagline I appreciate what they were trying to go for with this. The first time around I just thought it was a bit weird to be honest.

LOL @ the literal imagery of “Fashion Hunter”...

VU is such a parody/farce of high fashion it may as well cast Sacha Baron Cohen’s Bruno as their resident coverstar.

VU is always there for a good laugh

I guess I just need to understand that this hipster-kitsch-analogue aesthetic is the new world order. I guess the 40+ years old buyers of Vogue just want to feel younger and fresh and mimic this Instagram born aesthetic.

I just can't believe a girl on her fours mimicking a panther statue, with said statue on the back, wearing a very Parisian 70s beach look (Jacquemus?) represents Vogue. This could easily be a cover for System Magazine but I just don't feel it.
I know what you mean, and I agree with you! But here, I (could be just me) see some extravagant glamour that should represent Vogue. IMO, there's distinction between this and their fugly cover with Charlotte Gainsbourg.

Don’t get why people say it’s not Vogue-ish. Tbh they have their own direction and identity, which british and UK Vogue clearly don’t with the tacky headlines in Cosmopolitan style and using A-list celebrities only.

Besides before everyone seemed to praise VU for their identity but suddenly it’s bad?

I love it. Bold, different, and unapologetic. Definitely something you'd notice on the newsstand

Besides before everyone seemed to praise VU for their identity but suddenly it’s bad?

If I ever did that (which I don't remember) I was clearly drunk. :lol: I do like some of their covers. Just like every other Vogue, not everything is a miss. I can separate the image from the magazine it is published in (be it Vogue, Elle, Maxima or Harpers or any indie). If a shoot is good, it's good. That doesn't mean I see them as representing the magazine or its audience. Harpers had amazing editorials recently that would fit perfectly on Vogue, even with their audience being slightly different. It's the never ending discussion that goes for current Vogue Italia - is it losing its identity? Are identities that important? For some, like me, a magazine identity is very important. I bought magazines religiously without even seeing any preview content (VI, System, Dazed). Not anymore.

I may not think of some of these covers as being Vogue-material but they are good, nevertheless. This one isn't. (Although Vogue Ukraine have released a few Vogue-ish ones recently - I remember a pink one and one with Malgosia in b&w that were very VI).

VU never had an identity.

If they weren’t copying Franca’s Vogue and POP wholesale, they were a glorified monthly lookbook for the likes of Demna and JW— in that they copied wholesale, the look, the tone, the mood, and even the flat, depressing lighting and raw, unprocessed photo files of these designers’ aesthetic in print.

And unlike Demna’s aesthetic— which at best, possesses that brand of yes-I-know-I’m-suckering-in-all-these-fashion-victims-to-dress-like-the-down-and-out-of-Eastern-Europe, VU is just so joyless, so serious, so lacking in self-awareness.

I guess a backlash was inevitable after all the praise VUA had gotten over the years.

In desperate search for my contact lens. LOL. Nice try but this is bad...not cover worthy, let alone the cover line Fashion Hunter..... aesthetics has derailed....

I guess a backlash was inevitable after all the praise VUA had gotten over the years.

It's just from the same people though. People who have hated VU remain to hate it. People who've liked VU remain to like it.

With this cover, I do agree that the panther isn't really necessary and that the composition is basic. I like the concept. Execution - not a big fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->