W Magazine Volume #6 2019 : Frank Ocean by Tim Walker & Rosalía by Willy Vanderperre

Can someone get me some Vaseline or moisturiser!?! And to the dirty minded-ones, I don't mean it as a sexual innuendo. His skin just looks so....dry.

A very unflattering image, especially considering the guy doesn't appear on loads of covers. Guess he's still trying hard to make Prada cool. Art direction doesn't work because it fades in the anokak.

Fail!

The second cover is better, but also is a non-event. Both are mediocre.
The first one is... Can I just ask how much Prada paid to actually make that Prada logo appear on the cover?

I like how they didn't try to make them look pretty and perfect. That's something I miss. I'm sick of the IG aesthetics and extreme Photoshop we've been getting lately, especially with Luigi & Lango.

Both covers are dreadful, and I'll never understand fashions fascination with Frank Ocean. He's not remotely interesting, and average from head to toe. Also, doesn't Rosalia have a neck?

Yup...just as I expected, the slightly tinkered with masthead is the only thing refreshing about the revamp...same sh*t, different editor.

I don't understand why Katie still works at this magazine at all. What does she even get out of working at it when every inch of relevance has been squeezed out it? And now it's not longer on Conde's roster.

Oh, and I'm mad they jacked up Frank like that, and by the looks of it didn't even give him a stylist to work with.

First issue under Surface? Anything about the old logo or content?

I actually hate that they brought the old logo back. It looks dated.

Rosalia looks unrecognizable. Frank looks...bad.

Sara does not have what it takes to bring this magazine back.

I think it's a good decision they brought the old logo, it has some classic/nostaligic vibe from when W was good. (Also the previous logo was weak and irrelevant from the moment it started – with the uninispired and pretentious Tonchi).

Bad thing is that they can't match the logo with relevant content. Fashion right now seems to be on the brink of saturation and bad taste. All those greedy brands like Prada, Vuitton etc, are getting uglier and annoying by the minute.

Oddly, I like the second cover. It catches my attention. There is something haunting and quite beautiful.

Frank's cover styled by himself is just a straight-to-the-trash cover.

Old logo, dated photos... what's new?

Got this in the mail today. 128 pages.

Review:

"Rosalia"
P: Willy Vanderperre
S: Katie Grand
story by Lynn Hirschberg

"Frank Ocean"
P: Tim Walker
S: ??

"Everyone Is Welcome"
P: Tim Walker
S: Sara Moonves
M: Adwoa Aboah, Edie Campbell, Aaron Phillip, Tess McMillan, Kiki Willems, Isabella Rossellini, young "talents" street-cast, Bobbi Salvor Menuez, Maartje Convens, Alek Wek, Achok Majak, Ugbad Abdi, Grace Bol, Efosa Uwubamwen, Mayowa Nicholas, Shanelle Nyasiase

"One of a Kind"
Chloe Sevigny by Luca Guadagnino
Willow Smith, Jonah Hill, Jean-Paul Goude photographed themelves
Tracee Ellis Ross by Maripol
various other people

"This is the New Country"
P: Angelo Pennetta
S: Sara Moonves
Kacey Musgraves

last page is Jana Julius styled by Carlyne Cerf

Also, an article and pictures on the Jamie Hawkesorth edition of Joan Didion's "On Keeping a Notebook," article on Peter Berlin

Unfortunately i saw his name and knew that it was gonna be some pretentious artsy shot

Rosalía has a tricky face to photograph (long and wide) and that angle doesn't flatter her, you can tell Willy is not used to photograph woman with fat on their face. I like the old new logo in pink and the simplicity of the picture but I'm not here for it.

I agree with Benn that Frank's skin looks as dry as sandpaper, I'm very annoyed by how overhyped he still is: the campaign for his last album would have you believed he's the lovechild of 2Pac and Paul McCartney. I hope he doesn't have another collection of lo-fi snoozefests to drop on us because I'm not ready to live through that again. Fashion's fascination with him is because he's gay and that's the end of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliburum
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->