W Volume #1 2020 : Best Performances by Juergen Teller

This is some of the best work Jurgen has done in quite some time. It has his signature touch that's been missing lately. Less is definitely more for him.

A+ casting - captured nearly all the awards frontrunners (would also have liked to see Renee). Has Laura Dern's career ever been hotter?

Chris his cover is easily my favourite, although I am a bit surprised to see him here. Knives Out is doing very well, but his performance hasn't had any awards buzz. Shame the women are underrepresented as well. The had so many choices as well- Renee, Awkwafina, Lupita, Cynthia.

I think the general consensus is that the male actor categories this awards season are more stacked than the female actor categories. Sure Awkwafina was good in The Farewell, but is her not getting a cover a more egregious snub than Taron Egerton, Antonio Banderas, Song Kang-ho, Tom Hanks, Leo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Christian Bale, Willem Dafoe, Jonathan Pryce, Anthony Hopkins, etc. not getting a cover? The idea of a forced 50/50 split in cover subjects for this issue seems silly to me, since normally far more women get covers for this issue than men. I can recall a few years where it was a 5:1 ratio, which I doubt any of us found problematic.

Last edited:
I think some of the buzzed about women not getting a cover might mean they're getting something else - Vanity Fair's cover is not out yet, it's possible that some might be exclusives and don't want overexposure - and then there's Vogue US, Elle etc.

I think I like these covers for what they are, but the male ones are far superior to the female ones. Maybe it comes down to the simplicity of their shots, or the toned down styling? Don't know.

Reactions: KoV
I think the general consensus is that the male actor categories this awards season are more stacked than the female actor categories. Sure Awkwafina was good in The Farewell, but is her not getting a cover a more egregious snub than Taron Egerton, Antonio Banderas, Song Kang-ho, Tom Hanks, Leo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx, Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, Christian Bale, Willem Dafoe, Jonathan Pryce, Anthony Hopkins, etc. not getting a cover? The idea of a forced 50/50 split in cover subjects for this issue seems silly to me, since normally far more women get covers for this issue than men. I can recall a few years where it was a 5:1 ratio, which I doubt any of us found problematic.

I'd argue that Awkwafina being snubbed is more shocking than most of the names you mentioned. She starred in one of the surprise hits of the year, a movie that no one expected to do much business, yet it crossed more than 20 million at the US box office and is universally praised for both the movie itself and her performance. I mean, when was the last time a woman with an Asian background was getting so much praise and even Oscar buzz? Unfortunately that is very very rare.
And for all the names you mentioned, we could also say Renee Zellweger, Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Lupita, Cynthia Erivo, Alfre Woodard, Ana de Armas or even Brie Larson and Daisy Ridley.

I'd argue that Awkwafina being snubbed is more shocking than most of the names you mentioned. She starred in one of the surprise hits of the year, a movie that no one expected to do much business, yet it crossed more than 20 million at the US box office and is universally praised for both the movie itself and her performance. I mean, when was the last time a woman with an Asian background was getting so much praise and even Oscar buzz? Unfortunately that is very very rare.
And for all the names you mentioned, we could also say Renee Zellweger, Saoirse Ronan, Florence Pugh, Lupita, Cynthia Erivo, Alfre Woodard, Ana de Armas or even Brie Larson and Daisy Ridley.

The Farewell was a modest hit at the box office (it got plenty of marketing from A24 and a wide release in the summer, so 20 million isn't like... smash hit territory) and one of my favorites of the year, but it also came out 7 months ago and Awkwafina has appeared on several covers promoting the movie already. She's not lacking press. I just got the most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly with her on the cover, being proclaimed entertainer of the year. I've seen her on Time, The Hollywood Reporter and Marie Claire recently, and I'd be willing to bet she's a likely candidate to show up on Vanity Fair's Hollywood issue, along with several other covers in the upcoming months, as she has plenty of projects to promote this year. I mean, I think her getting a cover would be totally warranted, but I don't think it's a slight that she wasn't included, either. Several of the people I mentioned are basically guaranteed nominees, and their films will be among the most nominated, and several of them haven't scored any covers. I completely agree with several of the names you mentioned as worthy candidates to have been included, but there are dozens of acclaimed performances this year and they can't include everyone. Cynthia and Alfre haven't gotten the press they likely deserve (I haven't seen either film). Lupita has scored plenty of covers in the past year to promote Us and her book. Vanity Fair, Vogue UK, Marie Claire, AnOther. Renee got InStyle. Surprised Saoirse wasn't included but she has several W covers in the past few years, including being twice featured in past "performances of the year" issues, so maybe they just are trying something new? Wish Florence was included. Ana would have been a nice inclusion. Brie and Daisy have zero awards buzz for their films.

And again, in the past several years there were multiple "performances of the year" issues where 5 women got a cover and 1 man did. This is likely the first time ever with more men scoring a cover. W clearly does not have some sort of bias in favor of men, as proven by their track record. For that reason I personally see it as a complete non-issue.

My God... We were expecting a Vogue for JLO and we got this awful W, we were expecting a Versace campaign and we got one from Coach, by an unfortunate coincidence Coach's campaign is by Juergen Teller. Ok, I'm affraid!

Best Performances 2020

Photography: Juergen Teller
Styling: Sara Moonves
Hair: Malcolm Edwards, Stacey Morris, Coree Moreno, Adir Abergel, Danielle Priano, Larry Sims, Mark Townsend
Grooming: Amy Komorowski, Barbara Guillaume, David Cox, Sydney Sollod
Make-up: Sam Bryant, Vera Steimberg, Stacey Panepinto, Terrell Mullin, Kate Lee, Scott Barnes, Katey Denno
Manicure: Michelle Saunders, Gina Oh
Cast: Laura Dern, Eddie Murphy, Zoey Deutch, Scarlett Johansson, Adam Driver, Margaret Qualley, Willem Dafoe, Elle Fanning, Florence Pugh, Kristine Froseth, Adam Sandler, Brad Pitt, Joaquin Phoenix, Shia LaBeouf, Cynthia Erivo, Antonio Banderas, Camila Morrone, Dakota Fanning, So-dam Park, Chris Evans, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Charlize Theron, Jennifer Lopez, Awkwafina, Jodie Turner-Smith, Kaitlyn Dever, Beanie Feldstein, Billie Lourd, Taylor Russell

W Magazine

Getting Into Character

Photography: Willy Vanderperre
Styling: Katie Grand
Hair: Anthony Turner
Make-up: Miranda Joyce
Manicure: Michelle Humphrey
Set Design: Emma Roach
Models: Lila Moss, Erin O'Connor, Lis Rutten, Ilona Desmet, Kim Schell, Patrycja Piekarska, Esme Creed-Miles, Achenrin Madit, Twiggy, Bo, Kyla Ramsey, Alewya Demmisse, Megan Winstone, Stella Jones, Kasper Kapica

W Magazine

I got the Joaquin Phoenix cover in the mail. 224 pages.

In addition to the posted content:

accessories edit

"Walk this Way"
Photographer: Jamie Hawkesworth
Stylist: Max Pearmain
Models: Alma Corbic, Bernie @ IMG, Maisie Dickinson, Alyssa Morelle, Caitlin Soentendal, Marilen de Schrevel, Amrit @ Special Beauties, Anneliek Heuvel, Athalia Amah, Emilie Meincke, Heloise Kressel, Jenna Kandell, Line Geijerstam, Milla Gradin, Josefine Hortsmann, Madeleine Fischer, Raquel Quitrana, Maja Zimnoch, Mey Sayed, Marie Hilgers

"Costume Drama"
Photographer: Tim Walker
Stylist: Sara Moonves
Models: Nastya Cherkasova, Akuac @ Nevs, Harrison Jones, Henry Parkin Aaron Lewins, plus Sandy Powell

Impressed with how much content is in this issue. Aside from a four page Balenciaga ad, pages 78-223 are editorials and the main feature

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->