Warm or Cool skin tone?

andaluana

Reaction score
Do you know if your skin tone is warm or cool?

I've done a lot of research and I still don't know for sure if my complexion is cool or warm.
I thought I was warm but when I dye my hair in a golden warm tone it makes my face look yellowish.. and I can't be cool because I have brown eyes.

^The colour of your eyes has nothing to do with your skin tone.

I'm quite confused - is yellow warm or cool? I've only noticed yellow toned skin and more pink toned skin and all in between.

I'm def. more yellow than pink, but I'm not very yellow unless I tan. I don't really tan, I just turn more yellow :lol:

There's this test: if the veins in your wrists are more greenish than you're yellow-toned, if they are blue-ish, you're pink-toned.
Honestly, I find it really hard to tell if my veins are more green or more blue :innocent:. I always thought I was neutral and SA's never seem to agree when it comes to which foundation shade I have to pick. I personally think yellow-toned foundation suits me best, I'm usually an NC 15-20.

Yellow is usually considered warm, pink cool, but not at MAC :rolleyes:.

I really don't think that is useful. Some people have thinner skin and all their veins will show up blue even if they're yellow-toned. I have blue, green and purple veins depending on where you look, what does that make me then? :lol:

Some people say that you can hold a piece of white paper next to your face and then compare...kind of like when you're picking out paint for your apartment and you can't decide what shade of white you're going for :lol:

I have definitley cool... I wish I knew what make up (colours) is flattering for me personally... or "cool" people in general.

Cool skin tones have natural pink undertones to their skin. These kind of people usually have fair skin and don't tan well. It does not depend on hair or eye colour. A lot of Irish people for example tend to be cool skin tones, but will have black or brunette hair. The hair does tend to lean towards the ash tones though.

Another way to tell is how make up shades work on your face. The opposite of your tone will stand out - e.g a warm tone on a cool skin tone, where as a warm tone on a warm skin tone will look more natural.

I have definitley cool... I wish I knew what make up (colours) is flattering for me personally... or "cool" people in general.

It just depends on the person. One cool toned person could look great in a orangey bronze eyeshadow, where as another will look bizarre. I do tend to find cool toned people should avoid anything orange based in their make up.

Julianne Moore is a famous cool tone and she usually always wears grey,silver, blue and purple shadow with a neutral lip and maybe a pop of pinky peach on her cheeks. On the opposite end you've got someone like Jennifer Aniston who wears a lot of warm pink and nude lipstick and bronzer.

I think I'm more Julianne Moore...as Jen IS very very tan.
I too tend to wear greyish or taupe eyeshadow...which look8s very good.
I just wish I need how to do my make up really really well - especially when it comes to blushes, highlighters, etc. Ugh! I envy those girls who so naturally are able to chose their make up.

it can be very trial and error but a cheap solution would be to go into your local dept store and ask for a make over? maybe somewhere like mac where the SAs tend to have a bit more knowledge.

I find this confusing too! I tend to think of yellow as warm and cool as pink, but the whole mac nc being yellow and nw being pink just makes it more confusing for me (not that i go to mac often or use their foundation, but people usually use their labels as a guide...everything eventually gets compared to mac colours!) but anyway...the whole vein thing is just weird to me because i have more blue/puple veins which puts me as a pink tone, but i find my skin to be more yellow than pink?!

now i'm starting to think that i'm more of a neutral...in nars i use the colour fiji which is very yellow and it suits me ( though i must admit, it would be better if it was a tad less yellow) and then in chanel vitalumiere aqua i got matched to BR20 which is a pink toned and that matches me perfectly as well?! so i guess my skin is somewhere in the middle which is why i can kind of get away with either...maybe because i'm half asian and half european?! i got the yellowness from my asian side and pinkness from my european side, so they sort of cancel each other out and make me neutral?? haha i dunno it's so confusing

It just depends on the person. One cool toned person could look great in a orangey bronze eyeshadow, where as another will look bizarre. I do tend to find cool toned people should avoid anything orange based in their make up.

i find this to be true for me, orangey-peach is really hard to pull off.

but i think in terms of orangey bronze shadow, i like it more on blue/green eyes than brown because it brings out the color more. unless the brown eyes are very golden then i think it works better but this is not about skintone so much.

so i guess my skin is somewhere in the middle which is why i can kind of get away with either...maybe because i'm half asian and half european?! i got the yellowness from my asian side and pinkness from my european side, so they sort of cancel each other out and make me neutral?? haha i dunno it's so confusing
I doubt it. I'm very yellow, and I'm European.

I have the same problem: I cannot figure out what tone I am. Then I stumbled upon this whole colour theory thing of how people can be warm/cool and be either spring, summer, autumn or winter based on skin tone, eye colour and hair colour. Each of the eight types has its own colour palette for clothing, make-up, jewellery and hair dyes that will flatter them and really make them `glow'. Still haven't figured out what on earth I am. All I know is I can't go wrong with red and dark and muddy colours such as navy, dark browns and greens really do not flatter me at all. Also, I've always felt silver jewellery looks much better on me than gold. Then I bought silver eyeliner and it looked odd. So I'm completely confused. :blink::lol:

but i think in terms of orangey bronze shadow, i like it more on blue/green eyes than brown because it brings out the color more. unless the brown eyes are very golden then i think it works better but this is not about skintone so much.
I've golden/hazel eyes and bronze eyeshadow really brings out the color, I love mac's woodwinked on my eyes and teddy eye pencil on the waterline:heart:

Nic from pixiwoo talked about skin tones in this video

Can you tell someone's tones just by looking @ the colour of their skin?
I have the same skintone to Vanessa Hudgens- maybe a tad lighter, but still olive....

i THINK i have yellow undertones, but i could be way off,haha.

yes. if you are anything like vanessa in skin tone you are warm toned. more people are warm with yellow tones than cool with pink undertones. if you are unsure in terms of foundation it is always best to go with a shade that leans more yellow than pink as pink can look very odd and make warm tones look ashy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same problem: I cannot figure out what tone I am. Then I stumbled upon this whole colour theory thing of how people can be warm/cool and be either spring, summer, autumn or winter based on skin tone, eye colour and hair colour. Each of the eight types has its own colour palette for clothing, make-up, jewellery and hair dyes that will flatter them and really make them `glow'. Still haven't figured out what on earth I am. All I know is I can't go wrong with red and dark and muddy colours such as navy, dark browns and greens really do not flatter me at all. Also, I've always felt silver jewellery looks much better on me than gold. Then I bought silver eyeliner and it looked odd. So I'm completely confused. :blink::lol:

what colours suit you can depend on the time of year and the changes that brings to your skin tone, as well as your hair colour. look at someone like evan rachel wood. she is definitely a cool tone but she is able to change how that cool tone looks. when she is a honey blonde colour with a tan it gives her a warm look, even though she is cool toned. yet when she goes with red or black hair it brings out her cool tones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->