What Are You Listening to Right Now?

Nirvana. Sub Pop Demo Tape. Jan.1988.
One of Kurt’s best vocals

It’s been a while since I listened to this but it always pops up in my head and in my ears. Strangely, it reminds me so much of my mum but I never knew if she listened to Nina Simone herself. It’s been 10 years since her passing and this song, despite having no real connection to her always brings me to tears. Same way as Barbers “Adagio for Strings, Op. 11” does. Again, no notable connection to her yet it just FEELS like her. Strange isn’t it.

It’s been a while since I listened to this but it always pops up in my head and in my ears. Strangely, it reminds me so much of my mum but I never knew if she listened to Nina Simone herself. It’s been 10 years since her passing and this song, despite having no real connection to her always brings me to tears. Same way as Barbers “Adagio for Strings, Op. 11” does. Again, no notable connection to her yet it just FEELS like her. Strange isn’t it.
I love that song so much, I can't really handle listening to it often but its effect has never changed for me from the first time I ever listened to it with no life experience whatsoever to now. I think it goes straight into that corner of the brain where deep longing for love lives, the unconditional kind, not necessarily romantic, and how magical and safe it feels when it passes through your life (the 🪕s and springtime), and to me what makes it difficult and universal is that it also brings its nemesis: time/mortality. And Nina's voice is no help. 💔

There have been a bunch of covers of the song but Jeff Buckley's is by far my favorite, the one version out there is a bootleg from one of his shows at a café, the audio is dirty and full of noise from people dining but his voice is always so hauntingly beautiful..

jackets are back and so is my winter playlist from early this year 💀:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtletulip413
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->