What Are You Reading?

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Sep 16 2004, 04:21 PM
My advice is to read the modern preface (if your copy has one) first - a lot of people say it dilutes the experience of some rubbish but personally I think it's like being thrown in at the deep end...
[snapback]369529[/snapback]​
hmm the preface of the book is indeed modern.. I started reading it but right in the middle of it they start describing the book, which I thought was a bad idea for me, I usually like when they introduce the author and then leave you alone with the story to form your own opinion out of it. so hmm.. I'm ignoring the second half of the preface and then reading it back once I've finished the book :P

could that be a decent idea or do I really have to read the preface in the first place? :ninja:

Originally posted by faust@Aug 26 2004, 03:39 PM
Absolutely :flower: Remember the epigraph (from Goethe's Faust by the way :heart: :lol: ) "'...who are you, then?'/'I am part of that power which eternally/wills evil and eternally works good.' " Moreover, the people they exposed were not some dingbat criminals, they were supposed to be prominent cultural figures - and in reality they were as immoral as the worst of the human kind. The point also is that God and Devil are not enemies but are a part of the whole, like Ying-Yang.
[snapback]346350[/snapback]​

i did it, i did it, i read master & margarita this summer! :heart: i'm proud of myself. i have to re read it though definitely when i'm older, but i loved it this time. i understood it well (surprisingly, my russian knowledge is becoming poor due to my attending an english school..) and i think bulgakov is amazing :heart: i read sobachye serdce (dog's heart? :blink: ) and loved it, too. and the theatre romance (teatralnij romans).

but man, i gotta say i'm so ashamed of myself - i attempted to read pride and prejudice and great expectations..but the language bores me to tears :cry: and i call myself a literary fan..

Originally posted by twilight fairy@Sep 17 2004, 01:18 PM
i did it, i did it, i read master & margarita this summer! :heart: i'm proud of myself. i have to re read it though definitely when i'm older, but i loved it this time. i understood it well (surprisingly, my russian knowledge is becoming poor due to my attending an english school..) and i think bulgakov is amazing :heart: i read sobachye serdce (dog's heart? :blink: ) and loved it, too. and the theatre romance (teatralnij romans).

but man, i gotta say i'm so ashamed of myself - i attempted to read pride and prejudice and great expectations..but the language bores me to tears :cry: and i call myself a literary fan..
[snapback]370304[/snapback]​

Reading Great Expectations is like watching the paint dry. That's right, I said it!

Seriously, those books were written in the world before ADD. Our world is too fast and too happening for these books, unfortunately or not...

Twilight, it's nothing - try reading Marcel Proust. One sentence = one page. I'm loving it, though.

The Great and Secret Show by Clive Barker, again (and Everville after this)

I really wanted to get caught up in this story again and with Clive Barker, the stories seem new again each time because they're so intense that there is always something you missed. Each reading just provides a better understanding.

Originally posted by twilight fairy@Sep 17 2004, 01:08 PM
Lord of the Flies :blink:
[snapback]370288[/snapback]​

Do you like it? Tell me you do! I think I'm the only person on the planet who loves Lord of the Flies. :ninja:

Originally posted by alwaysandnever@Sep 21 2004, 12:23 PM
Do you like it? Tell me you do! I think I'm the only person on the planet who loves Lord of the Flies. :ninja:
[snapback]371539[/snapback]​

Nope! I love that book too! The majority of the people I know HATE it because we read it in sophomore year english in High School, and managed to overanalyze the book, so most people just ended up being sick of it, sadly...but I still love it. :smile:

Reading right now?

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger - simply exquisite. :smile:

2 things...AT THE SAME TIME

:o no way

1) Everything I Know About Business I Learned From Monopoly
2) Graphic Novel *rereading* Sandman : The Dream Hunters

Originally posted by model_mom@Sep 20 2004, 10:09 PM
East of Eden
[snapback]371092[/snapback]​

Timshel. :flower:
I love that book, read it over the summer.

Originally posted by Nemova@Sep 22 2004, 06:15 AM
I read "Death of a Salesman" last night. Really impressive.
[snapback]372345[/snapback]​

one of my favorites. nothing describes USA better.

Originally posted by prixi@Sep 7 2004, 12:13 PM
Gossip Girl-All I want is Everything, the one with Taylor on the cover.
[snapback]358134[/snapback]​

ok-i know i shouldn't be reading those books but i love them. They just remind me of everything around me...lol. I can go from reading these really long, hard books for my course to reading Gossip Girl. It;s great! :blush: I just finished Prozac Nation and the Maggie O' Farell book (After You'd Gone) and now I want to read O' Farrell's second book.

Originally posted by faust@Sep 22 2004, 01:31 PM
one of my favorites. nothing describes USA better.
[snapback]372501[/snapback]​

I found the plot quite generic. I mean, I could actually relate to some aspects of the characters and of the story itself, because the author treats the subject in a rather humanist - although twisted - way.

Originally posted by Nemova@Sep 22 2004, 11:47 AM
I found the plot quite generic. I mean, I could actually relate to some aspects of the characters and of the story itself, because the author treats the subject in a rather humanist - although twisted - way.
[snapback]372580[/snapback]​

It's a play, a plot will always be generic. It's the dialogue and the development of the characters that counts. It beautifully captures that all-american image of a winner that everyone strives for, and 99% never achieve.

Originally posted by faust@Sep 22 2004, 04:34 PM
It's a play, a plot will always be generic. It's the dialogue and the development of the characters that counts. It beautifully captures that all-american image of a winner that everyone strives for, and 99% never achieve.
[snapback]372664[/snapback]​

I do believe you understood I liked the book? :unsure: I was just saying that the story's not applicable only to the people at that specific time and place the author refers too, but to anyone everywhere else with the same dreams and hopes and frustrations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->