What happened to French fashion designers?

mikevensel

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that french fashion is severely lacking in comparison to other countries considering its rich history? France in general has not produced many great product lately. I live in the us and cant think of the last time I bought a french product. America is being exported everywhere but what is being produced in france anymore? Fashion week is mostly designers and press from elsewhere, models from elsewhere, the top people in the french design houses are not even french. I have been to shows in Paris, shot editorials, worked with PR firms and can say that while Paris may be beautiful its really trading on its history. Its all smoke and mirrors and nostalgia imo, whats going on here? Any french designers care to share thier opinion?

I interviewed Gaspard Yurkievitch and he told me that no one in france wants to be a boss - if you are the boss you are considered and a**hole, so no one wants to start a clothing line - I think he is amazing but definately the exception to the rule. For more of Gaspard interview with me visit - http://www.kittenmag.com/k24/k244849.html

Clearly you have a personal hatred towards France and french fashion but don't force your opinions on others. You started this thread already and it was closed down, you might want to take that as a hint.

I didnt reallize anyone would take offense - I am not anti france - just observing what I noticed - I was currious to hear other peoples opinions - I reworded it so it wouldnt be so offensive - Sorry for the multiple posts - TFS keeps timing out - and I didnt know the others got posted.

rekko said:
ain't it same in Italy?!

No I think its very different - Italy host mostly italian designers - the big italian houses are run by italians - prada , armani, dolce, versace, etc. - younger italian designers are great aslo IMO

mikevensel said:
Anyone else notice that french fashion is severely lacking in comparison to other countries considering its rich history? France in general has not produced many great product lately. I live in the us and cant think of the last time I bought a french product. America is being exported everywhere but what is being produced in france anymore? Fashion week is mostly designers and press from elsewhere, models from elsewhere, the top people in the french design houses are not even french. I have been to shows in Paris, shot editorials, worked with PR firms and can say that while Paris may be beautiful its really trading on its history. Its all smoke and mirrors and nostalgia imo, whats going on here? Any french designers care to share thier opinion?

I interviewed Gaspard Yurkievitch and he told me that no one in france wants to be a boss - if you are the boss you are considered and a**hole, so no one wants to start a clothing line - I think he is amazing but definately the exception to the rule. For more of Gaspard interview with me visit - http://www.kittenmag.com/k24/k244849.html

His assesment doesn't make much sense - most french houses are french-run with foreign designers at the helm (the LVMH group is the prime example, and I think Chanel is also french-owned, but I could be wrong). The problem must be elsewhere.
I wonder if, contrary to the popular belief, France itself no longer has the rich culture like it used to. :unsure:

I think Chanel is Swiss-owned? Not that it really matters, it's still a French house anyway, isn't it?

I don't think there is a lack of french designers, I think it is just that more international designers are becoming more prominent. I can name tons of French designers at the top of my head. They aren't all flamboyant like Galliano or media craved like Tom Ford.

but PPR (who owns Gucci) and as already mentioned LVMH are all french ran and owned.

Oscar Wilde might well have asked the same thing about American culture...

I can't name more than about three Americans I would consider top designers. Taking Paris menswear: Rykiel, Yamamoto, Takizawa, Raf Simons, Kawakubo, Van Noten, Demeulemeester, Gaultier, Boateng. I fail to spot the American.

tott said:
I think Chanel is Swiss-owned? Not that it really matters, it's still a French house anyway, isn't it?

Pierre Wertheimer EDIT: actually his grandsons Alain and Gerard (French/Swiss/Jewish)? Or is that another house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am not talking about ownership, I am talking about who is in charge of design.

PrinceOfCats said:

I can't name more than about three Americans I would consider top designers. Taking Paris menswear: Rykiel, Yamamoto, Takizawa, Raf Simons, Kawakubo, Van Noten, Demeulemeester, Gaultier, Boateng. I fail to spot the American.

Americans dont typically show in Paris - You cant name 3 american designers?

Here are just a few who are showing this week in NYC

9am Kenneth Cole, Bryant Park, the Tent
10am John Bartlett, Bryant Park, the Promenade
5pm Nicole Miller, New York Yacht Club, 37 W. 44th St.
6pm DKNY Men, TBA
7pm John Varvatos, Bryant Park, the Promenade
4pm Diane Von Furstenberg, Bryant Park, the Tent
8pm Badgley Mischka, Bryant Park, the Tent
3pm Betsey Johnson, Bryant Park, the Promenade
4pm Proenza Schouler, Milk Studios
8pm Marc Jacobs, N.Y. State Armory, 68 Lexington Ave.
9pm Heatherette, Bryant Park, the Tent
10AM: Peter Som, The Promenade
11AM: Michael Kors, The Tent
3PM: Derek Lam, Exit Art Gallery
7PM: Anna Sui, The Tent
2PM: Vera Wang, The Tent
8PM: Zac Posen, The Tent
10AM: Ralph Lauren (also 9AM and 11AM)

mikevensel said:

i think what prince was saying is that he can't name 3 americans that he would consider top designers...
just because american design is being exported everywhere doesn't mean it's good...:rolleyes:

imo, the best design is coming out of paris, at least when it comes to womenswear...and even though the lines aren't designed by a french person, the houses are based there and show there, so i have to believe that's where the influence is coming from...
balenciaga, lanvin, rochas, vuitton, yves saint laurent, chloe, comme des garcons, etc...these are lines to me that are way ahead of the pack, and they all show in paris...

if i could afford to buy from them, believe me, i would...^_^

susie_bubble said:
^Is this thread about French designers or French labels - ???

French designers and or the lack of french designers in the global spotlight.

Many US designers, or should I say labels, are only really relevant to the US market, aren't they?

For instance Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, Zac Posen, Betsey Johnson, Vera Wang come to mind. I might be wrong, but even though I know their names they seem to be totally irrelevant here in Europe?

There really is a difference between US/European consumers and culture.

Last edited by a moderator:
mikevensel said:

Here are just a few who are showing this week in NYC

9am Kenneth Cole, Bryant Park, the Tent
10am John Bartlett, Bryant Park, the Promenade
5pm Nicole Miller, New York Yacht Club, 37 W. 44th St.
6pm DKNY Men, TBA
7pm John Varvatos, Bryant Park, the Promenade
4pm Diane Von Furstenberg, Bryant Park, the Tent
8pm Badgley Mischka, Bryant Park, the Tent
3pm Betsey Johnson, Bryant Park, the Promenade
4pm Proenza Schouler, Milk Studios
8pm Marc Jacobs, N.Y. State Armory, 68 Lexington Ave.
9pm Heatherette, Bryant Park, the Tent
10AM: Peter Som, The Promenade
11AM: Michael Kors, The Tent
3PM: Derek Lam, Exit Art Gallery
7PM: Anna Sui, The Tent
2PM: Vera Wang, The Tent
8PM: Zac Posen, The Tent
10AM: Ralph Lauren (also 9AM and 11AM)

Go the thread on who people regard as the 'top ten' designers, you will notice that many of the members of this board do not rank any of the above as top desginers. Many of the above, Jacobs, Proenza Schouler, Varvatos, Zac Posen etc get a regular ribbing for being so crap...

kimair said:
i think what prince was saying is that he can't name 3 americans that he would consider top designers...
just because american design is being exported everywhere doesn't mean it's good...:rolleyes:

imo, the best design is coming out of paris, at least when it comes to womenswear...and even though the lines aren't designed by a french person, the houses are based there and show there, so i have to believe that's where the influence is coming from...
balenciaga, lanvin, rochas, vuitton, yves saint laurent, chloe, comme des garcons, etc...these are lines to me that are way ahead of the pack, and they all show in paris...

if i could afford to buy from them, believe me, i would...^_^

they show in paris because it has ab "ooh lala que chic" factor - but many of them dont even live in paris - and those that do were not born and raised there - so how much influfnce do you think paris has on the design - very little from what I can gather - modern design is influenced by many things - art, architecture, music, etc - take a walk around paris and see how much great contemporaty art by french designers you see - see how much modern architecture there is - how great is french music? - america has more influence on the world and on fashion than any other place, london would be #2 IMO

PrinceOfCats said:

What's up P.O.C.!

No matter how much you may not like him, Marc Jacobs is a top designer.
Kors had his day at Celine. You got Patrick at Paco R. Neil Barret is climbing
the ladder in menswear. And of course the entire industry feels the ghost of Tom Ford.

mikevensel said:
america has more influence on the world and on fashion than any other place, london would be #2 IMO

I agree that US street styles/McD and things like that have invaded the world, but when it comes to higher end design, Europe reigns (and Japan, I think). I think it's a bit misguided to focus on Paris, it's more a European/US thing if we want to argue this. There is more to Europe than Paris, we have London and Milan for instance. The focus shifts between them, but it stays here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacur368
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->