What happened to French fashion designers?

tott said:
Thankfully... And it is rather pointless to argue/discuss when people don't listen and respond to questions and critiscism, but goes off on another tangent instead.

Perhaps this does not reflect well on me, but I was quite looking forward to taking another chunk out of Mr Kitten ... perhaps he has retired to lick his wounds. Meow :wink:

Agree with Sayan ... the fact that Paris has attracted talent from all over the world simply makes it cosmopolitan and demonstrates its true power and importance.

The Las Vegas of Europe ... that one's gonna be with me awhile :lol: The Ugly American is alive and well :rolleyes:

If I'm correct the initial criticism of this thread is the relatively small number of prominent French designers? Alright, I guess you can argue that the U.K, U.S, and maybe Japan have produced more talent in recent years, even then I think you're taking more of a quantity over quality stance, are you going to argue that you think Belenciaga is crap? If you're judging countries cultural merits on the amount of designers they produce you might have an argument, although a rather absurd one.

PrinceOfCats said:
If one sticks to actual designers - the plain facts are that the designers who most people on these boards seem to regard as 'top' designers are European or Japanese.

If one wants to get into some bizarre slagging match of cultural influences then France was the cradle of Western democracy, which is the basis of modern life, so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

I thought -french- democracy got killed by -american- consumerism ... which would explain why there's more people around the world who can recognize Tommy Hilfiger vs. Lanvin -as labels-.

Errrm ... I kinda agree with the topic ... there are no french designers at the helm of french houses and there are no french designers who are up and coming and exposed to us ... is it a big cover-up or there's an actual lack?

i SO want to get in on this conversation...

:lol:...
i only got as far as page two and now i have to go to bed...
can't wait to read the rest when i have more free time...

this thread is AWESOME!!!...:mrgreen:...

mike-please stick around..
i'd love to talk to you about the topic of this thread..
i find your comments on french fashion really interesting...
i have also noticed how many of the big designers showing and working in paris are not actually french....

i think many people have noticed this...
it's pretty obvious...
just look at paris fashion week...
and i have also been wondering about it myself...

i posted a thread awhile ago about an article regarding 'where is all the young french talent'...or something along those lines..
it is pretty interesting...

seems even the french have been wondering this...:ermm:...
because they are very nationalistic and i think they too are concerned about the 'foreigners' taking over their precious catwalks...
the french take their fashion very seriously...
^_^...

when i have the time i will try to dig it up and post a link for you...

I remember a quote by Jean Cocteau (sorry to the original poster he's a French Poet) you said about the (Golden) Modern Art period in Paris (1905-1925 when all Art was made in Paris with: Brancusi, Miro, Picasso, Modigliani, Tzara, Giacometti...) that even if he knew all of them weren't French it felt everyone was.

Well, think the same with all the designer who choose to live, breath, eat, read, walk the streets of, and show in Paris: they're French in a sense (more than anything else maybe).

(Oh! and Also didn't Hedi Slimane at Dior just spend 5 years totally controlling Men fashion?)

Here, kitty, kitty ...

:D

Maybe he's gone back to the "Las Vegas of Europe" just to make sure he didn't miss anything by hanging out at the Golden Arches the whole time ...

Maybe he's had to stop the presses to add an article about the couture-wearing fools at tFS ...

Maybe he had to stop by American Apparel for a fresh T-shirt ...

Maybe he is simply contemplating the greatness that is Ralph Lauren ...

There are so many possible reasons ... :unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->