What happened to French fashion designers?

mikevensel said:
Jean Paul Gaultier is a top designer? I thought he retired in the 80s =)~

Gaultier's debut was in 1976, making your beloved Ralph Lauren almost another whole decade out of date. I really think you need to consider this for a while...

mikevensel said:
How many of you have actually been to Paris, worked in fashion in paris - know french designers - etc. I think you are basing alot of your ideas on what you think paris is - paris is very different on the inside than how it looks on the surface.

many of the people who are posting on this thread have a LOT of experience of Paris.

mikevensel said:
Alber Elbaz was born in morocco, then grew up in isreal

Jean Paul Gaultier is a top designer? I thought he retired in the 80s =)~

He didn't .

I agree with Susie_Bubble.

This thread is so pointless, just sounds like some French-hater needed to go bash at them for no reason really.

PrinceOfCats said:
Gaultier's debut was in 1976, making your beloved Ralph Lauren almost another whole decade out of date. I really think you need to consider this for a while...

Ralph Lauren started his company in 1967 - and your point is?

nanker_phledge said:
He didn't .

I agree with Susie_Bubble.

This thread is so pointless, just sounds like some French-hater needed to go bash at them for no reason really.

I dont hate france - just pulling away thr curtains like the wizard of oz to expose paris for what it is - smoke and mirrors with no substance - trading on its history - there are exceptions to everything - but this is my general feel - and I was currious to see how others felt - i love this thread - if you dont like it dont read it =)~

Can somebody who is actually in the Paris fashion scene give a counter argument because this guy is seriously doing my head in....

mikevensel said:
Ralph Lauren started his company in 1967 - and your point is?

Ummmm, I just need to ask one thing ... when you go to McDonalds, do you eat Freedom fries? :innocent:

It's also worth noting that unless someone has eyes to see, visiting Paris is not enlightening.

susie_bubble said:
Can somebody who is actually in the Paris fashion scene give a counter argument because this guy is seriously doing my head in....

I am in the paris fashion scene - I work in paris from time to time - I attend paris fashion week - I know quite a few designers there. We even have a paris editor in charge of all things paris.

fashionista-ta said:
Ummmm, I just need to ask one thing ... when you go to McDonalds, do you eat Freedom fries? :innocent:

It's also worth noting that unless someone has eyes to see, visiting Paris is not enlightening.

I only eat at McDonalds in Paris because feench food is so aweful - and I think they are called pomette frites or something like that.

susie_bubble said:
I'm sorry but I have been reading all of this with bemusement. You seem to be very narrow-minded about what 'influential' means.

Yes, well... Isn't he the same guy as "micouture" who got banned for some reason, if memory serves me right?

This is amusing for a while, it gets old quickly though...

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said you weren't.....I just feel that your view is very one-dimensional and wouldn't mind if someone gave a more rounded opinion.

helena said:
Lacroix
Gaultier
Hedi
Ghesquiere

and also...
Paul & Joe
Christophe Lemaire (Lacoste)
Vanessa Bruno
Isabel Marant
Leonard
Barbara Bui
Agnes B

And, mikevensel, JP Gaultier is far from having retired in the 80s. He's one of the rare true "createur" who are left in this world.

I just put the final dot to an article about how almost all French houses now have a foreign artistic director at their head, and how this somehow makes Paris the international "capital of fashion" again. I only half believe what I wrote, but GOSH, this thread makes me want to defend French fashion badly...

bernard arnault happened to french fashion - creativity went out the window in favour of commercial success...

mikevensel said:
I only eat at McDonalds in Paris because feench food is so aweful - and I think they are called pomette frites or something like that.

French food awful :lol: My opinion of your judgment does not improve ...

Btw, that would be pomme frites.

mikevensel said:

Well if you can't even sit down and chow down a steak hache and some pomme frites, no wonder you have zero respect for French fashion, art and music.

tott said:
Yes, well... Isn't he the same guy as "micouture" who got banned for some reason, if memory serves me right?

This is amusing for a while, it gets old quickly though...

Oxygen of reply creates fires. Abandon thread.

Caramilla said:
and also...
Paul & Joe
Christophe Lemaire (Lacoste)
Vanessa Bruno
Isabel Marant
Leonard
Barbara Bui
Agnes B

And, mikevensel, JP Gaultier is far from having retired in the 80s. He's one of the rare true "createur" who are left in this world.

I just put the final dot to an article about how almost all French houses now have a foreign artistic director at their head, and how this somehow makes Paris the international "capital of fashion" again. I only half believe what I wrote, but GOSH, this thread makes me want to defend French fashion badly...

PLEASE DEFEND! It's insane how WRONG this thread is.

Well personally I'm French and I've lived in Paris so I frankly don't know what he's talking about , from Sonia Rykiel , to Christian Lacroix , to Jean Paul Gaultier , to Nicolas Ghesquières to Vanessa Bruno, Isabel Marant, I guess there are some important French designers who are getting/are famous in the fashion world and besides a lot of foreign designers have installed there because they were inspired by this city from Marc Jacobs, to Galliano, Lagerfeld and others. About American designers , how many top designers are actually American born ? Ralph Lauren, , Marc Jacobs , Zac Posen .

Last edited by a moderator:
susie_bubble said:
PLEASE DEFEND! It's insane how WRONG this thread is.

Why is it wrong? This is reality ...I am not making this up. Its an observation. I am entitled to make observations and hear peoples opinions ...I felt this way after leaving Paris last and just wanted to share my views - actually I may skip paris next season all together.

mikevensel said:
How many of you have actually been to Paris, worked in fashion in paris - know french designers - etc. I think you are basing alot of your ideas on what you think paris is - paris is very different on the inside than how it looks on the surface.

i've been to Paris, i worked in Paris, i showed in Paris and i sold my collections in Paris..
you obviously had some bad experience there, or you didnt meet the right people , this is not a reason to bash a whole arts & culture embracing country, i regret that this seems like a very narrowminded attitude to me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->