What Not To Wear At Church...

fortezza

Reaction score
Once again this easter I spotted someone at church in the most inappropriate outfit. I don't know how the parents of this 15 year old let her go to church Saturday night looking like she was going to the mall with friends to meet a boy.

But then again does it really matter what you wear at church as long as you have faith?

If going to church is anything like my synogogue, I would think that you should be dressed appropriately. After all, I do believe that you are going there to communite with G-d. Hopefully you should be dressing with that in mind.
At my synogogue (which is orthodox), there is a focus on modesty. Skirts should be below the knee and shirts need to go past the elbow. Of course, these are minimums. Basically, when you are praying the focus should be on prayer, not clothing. In my opinion, it is best to dress quietly, modestly and with respect.
If someone does want to dress differently though, this is of course their perogative. I have seen some girls coming in with sweat pants and sloppy tops. Although I do not personally like this, I think that it is positive that they are attending at all. At the same, I do think that one should dress according to the situation. If I was visiting a church, for example, I would still want to honour their customs and habits of dress.

If I was visiting a church, for example, I would still want to honour their customs and habits of dress.

I totally agree. I would never go to someone else's church or synogogue dressed inappropriately. It's very disrespectful.

I only go to church once a year for easter (I go for my parents).
Most women wear skirts below the knee and men wear suits. I wore pants this year cause it was cold (church was packed and I had to stand outside) and because I don't have any "appropriate" skirts. :lol:
The dresscode is basically conservative and clean.

My church is your typical Southern Baptist church, so you see lots of stretch pants, peroxide, big hair, D&B bags, and stiletto heels for the women and ball caps, cowboy boots, huge belt buckles, and anything with a Dixie flag on it for the men. Apparently we still haven't caught up with the rest of the world when it comes to dressing appropriately for church. I however, try to set an example and wear a longer skirt or a dress, as do most of the girls my age that attend. Maybe this means my generation is a lot more stylish than its predecessors.

Well I think if you're going to go to church then no short skirts,hot pants,see through anything,low cut tops/dresses,skin tight skirts or pants,and no exposing any undergarments

I'm of the opinion that if your religion has the belief there's a god with you at all times, then it's unnecessary to distinguish yourself just for a union of people who share your thought and share your time with whoever it is hanging around up there.
I know people who spend their time there admiring others choice of clothes while hoping the same is being done of theirs. And then there are those who come as they are and are involved in nothing but the original purpose of worship. They may seem as though the ritual has less importance, that they couldn't even make an effort to be at their most presentable, but they don't even care for others thought because they know their reason for their being there.
A church is manmade, few believe it is the only place to be holy and if you do believe in going, I think you should feel comfortable and in your own skin even if it isn't particularly pretty. :ninja:
But then tradition's a tricky thing and mixing the generations and their notion of what's acceptable anywhere is easier said and done. With so many out there still considering short skirts, hot pants, see through anything, low cut tops/dresses, skin tight skirts or pants and exposed undergarments as inappropriate, it's not just in a place of worship where you can be tarred disrespectful :wacko:

I agree that it depends on the person. Some people are evidently able to feel spiritual when they are wearing a tank top and jeans. Personally, it just helps me to clean up a bit. Although I believe that G-d has seen me in some pretty terrible situations, maybe they'd appreciate my getting dressed up. I do think that they deserve that bit of honour.

I hate how casual everyone is at church theses days...i always wear a nice pastel suit (usually a chanel tweed skirt suit)

this easter:
Pink/white chanel tweed skirt suit
White silk camisole
Prada Venice Giada pumps
Prada Venice Giada bag with pink trim
1 small strand of pearls
Miguel Ases little gold chandeliers

Originally posted by strawberry daiquiri@Apr 12th, 2004 - 7:56 pm
I'm of the opinion that if your religion has the belief there's a god with you at all times, then it's unnecessary to distinguish yourself just for a union of people who share your thought and share your time with whoever it is hanging around up there.
I know people who spend their time there admiring others choice of clothes while hoping the same is being done of theirs. And then there are those who come as they are and are involved in nothing but the original purpose of worship. They may seem as though the ritual has less importance, that they couldn't even make an effort to be at their most presentable, but they don't even care for others thought because they know their reason for their being there.
A church is manmade, few believe it is the only place to be holy and if you do believe in going, I think you should feel comfortable and in your own skin even if it isn't particularly pretty. :ninja:
But then tradition's a tricky thing and mixing the generations and their notion of what's acceptable anywhere is easier said and done.
i would agree with that... :angel: :angel:

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Apr 12th, 2004 - 4:43 pm
What does everyone typically wear to their place of worship? :flower:
In here, dressing up in sundays to go to church is a tradition ... even the most humble people save their best outfits for church ... and a lot of skin is not well-seen on church ...
About an attire for church, I know that conventionally speaking it'll be better if everyone dresses a bit more formal ... but devotion is not directly proportional to vestimenta ...

I don't go to Church, first, cause I don't have my parents with me, and they are the only reason I go, and second, cause I wear too much colours together, and people might confuse me with a window glass art display :lol:

Alejandor :lol:
I go to synagogue and the dress code is as purple stated earlier.
Skirt below the knees and arms covered. Of course everything else has to be covered too :smile:
Married women also wear head coverings...the orthodox women wear wigs and and most of the Russian jews (who dont tend to be orthodox) just put on a little kerchief or a piece of lace on their heads.
I tend to keep the colours dark and the look over all put together.

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand, dressing up in most cultures is a sign of respect and a measure of the importance one feels in attending an event. (I suspect that is why many teenagers dress down for church.) So I think dressing up for church is important. I like the idea of "Sunday best." On the other hand, I would NEVER want anyone to not come to church because they feel their clothes are not nice enough.

Quite frankly I don't think an omnipotent divine being who created infinity really gives a damn about what you wear to church.

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:30 am
Quite frankly I don't think an omnipotent divine being who created infinity really gives a damn about what you wear to church.
Did someone say he did? :unsure:

I think that was the question...

"But then again does it really matter what you wear at church as long as you have faith?"

Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Apr 24th, 2004 - 10:30 am
couldn't agree more! I think it is kind of strange that people think that they need to dress more conservativley when they go to churc/temple/wherever. If they believe in that then they should be dressed like that all the time. It is like christians who say they are religious and drive Mercedes and wear Chanel. Glutiny is supposed to be a sin in that religion, but because they show up for an hour on a sunday morning, they are considered religious.

To be more on topic, I think it shouldnt matter at all what you wear, not only would god not care, but it shouldnt be whats on your mind if you are going for the right reasons. Personally, I don't have a drop of religious blood in my body, so it really doesn't affect me much.

i think that in any place of worship it should be nice-looking clothes. conservative. nothing flashy or anything. while some people think that God doesnt care about how you look, i think it's more of a respect and humbleness thing rather than how God sees you. I know i would never wear jeans and a t-shirt or anyting like that to church, its not the right thing to do in your place of worhsip, IMO, of course :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->