What to wear in New York City

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 16 2004, 06:24 PM
yah... it's like fashionista...people use it randomly without realizing what they are saying...it's not good... :P
but the jeans and heels thing is all over here as well...though a lot of the super-trendies have graduated from sevens to rogans...
[snapback]398689[/snapback]​

I like the word Fashionista...... :blush:

<------------------------------

Originally posted by Sassyspice@Oct 12 2004, 12:39 PM
I am visiting a hope to be boyfriend next week and I need an appropriate Mid October evening going out attire. I'm in Clevelenad and we mainly wear stilettos and jeans when we go out. What do the trendy ladies of NY wear?
[snapback]394783[/snapback]​

A pretty safe bet would be a nice one-piece dress (light fabrics like chiffon or satin) with a fitted blazer/denim jacket and pretty heels (or boots if its too chilly). And don't forget to throw in some accessories to personalize your look :flower:

Originally posted by chocsta@Oct 21 2004, 02:38 PM
A pretty safe bet would be a nice one-piece dress (light fabrics like chiffon or satin) with a fitted blazer/denim jacket and pretty heels (or boots if its too chilly). And don't forget to throw in some accessories to personalize your look :flower:
[snapback]403782[/snapback]​

Would it be safe to suggest inspiration from Sex and the City?
After all, it was the epitome of NY style.

Originally posted by marcXcore@Oct 21 2004, 05:44 PM
[snapback]403816[/snapback]​

I think you watch too much TV, my friend. It detaches one from reality :P :flower:

Originally posted by marcXcore@Oct 21 2004, 05:44 PM
[snapback]403816[/snapback]​

seriously?...have you ever been to ny?...i would doubt it if you think anyone actually dresses that badly...ny women dress MUCH better than that silly show... :P

Originally posted by faust@Oct 22 2004, 08:03 AM
I think you watch too much TV, my friend. It detaches one from reality :P :flower:
[snapback]404246[/snapback]​

Huh?
That's silly.
I do NOT watch too much tv.
Hmph.
How dare you even suggest that!?

[Pauses TiVo]

Okay, maaaaaybe a little tv.
:lol:

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 24 2004, 03:53 PM
seriously?...have you ever been to ny?...i would doubt it if you think anyone actually dresses that badly...ny women dress MUCH better than that silly show... :P
[snapback]405704[/snapback]​

I thought all NY women did was go to bars, drink cosmos, have sex, then go to brunch to talk about it!
Seems I was sadly misinformed.

Originally posted by marcXcore@Oct 24 2004, 06:29 PM
I thought all NY women did was go to bars, drink cosmos, have sex, then go to brunch to talk about it!
Seems I was sadly misinformed.
[snapback]405734[/snapback]​
Damn, too bad.

Hmm, I say, to look chic for evening a black tuxedo (or suit, whichever you prefer) black off the shoulder top as faust mentioned (I happen to love them as well, they look great) and a pair of classic black pumps......can't go wrong, and since most women would probably opt for a dress for an evening affair, you'll stand out and probably be more comfortable.

So thanks for all the input. I went last weekend and I thought I'd share my observations. There were a lot of brown blazers coupled skinny scarves, lots of ballet flats- or flats in general. Lots of Coach and designer handbags in general and lots of heels with jeans. Evening of course a lot of black but also lots of chiffon like dresses with unmatched killer heels. I hate being back in OHIO :(

thanks for the follow-up...sassyspice...

it's always a bit of a drag when you never hear back from the person who made the original post...

sounds like you had a good trip... :clap:
where did you go out at night?...what part of town?...

Originally posted by marcXcore@Oct 24 2004, 06:26 PM
Huh?
That's silly.
I do NOT watch too much tv.
Hmph.
How dare you even suggest that!?

[Pauses TiVo]
Okay, maaaaaybe a little tv.
[snapback]405729[/snapback]​

Originally posted by Sassyspice@Oct 28 2004, 02:45 PM
So thanks for all the input. I went last weekend and I thought I'd share my observations. There were a lot of brown blazers coupled skinny scarves, lots of ballet flats- or flats in general. Lots of Coach and designer handbags in general and lots of heels with jeans. Evening of course a lot of black but also lots of chiffon like dresses with unmatched killer heels. I hate being back in OHIO :(
[snapback]409448[/snapback]​

I think those were all people from Jersey you were seeing :lol: :doh: :wink:

That's really intuitive Faust cause I actually stayed in Jersey! I was visiting my hope to be boyfriend and I dragged him to the MET. He took me to a restaurant in Little Italy and we saw Times Square, Ground Zero :( and China Town walked all over 5th Avenue- you know to see how the other half lives. In Jersey we partied at these polish bars. The whole trip was very insightful. Must move out of white suburbia!

Originally posted by Sassyspice@Oct 29 2004, 03:41 PM
That's really intuitive Faust cause I actually stayed in Jersey! I was visiting my hope to be boyfriend and I dragged him to the MET. He took me to a restaurant in Little Italy and we saw Times Square, Ground Zero  :(  and China Town walked all over 5th Avenue- you know to see how the other half lives. In Jersey we partied at these polish bars. The whole trip was very insightful. Must move out of white suburbia!
[snapback]410609[/snapback]​

:P ...so basically you didn't see any native new yorkers while you were here.... :lol:
faust...how did you get that??? :huh: :flower:

Im not a New Yorker here, I don't know if I can define my style as my own or something, but Im not definitely the kind of beeeyoth that rocks the jeans with heels and a tank :doh:

Then again, we all grow from one thing to another... we're learning from what we see on the streets...and most of the time, we learn not to wear what we see on the streets :lol:

Outside of isolated pockets, most of the women do not dress that well in NYC. More hype than reality. I've come to realize that it is a myth for the most part.

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 29 2004, 03:55 PM
:P ...so basically you didn't see any native new yorkers while you were here.... :lol:
faust...how did you get that??? :huh: :flower:
[snapback]410637[/snapback]​

the bags.

Theory, I concur with your observations.

come on downtown theory... :D

it's a different world down here... i used to work on 57th and bdwy...and it was a depressing site...even with bergdorf only blocks away...it was just basic coonservative office attire...

the downtown chicks have got it going ON...!!!
it's so good to be back home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->