What to wear to a university interview

laisla

Reaction score
Eek! in the last 24hours Ive found out I have 2 uni interviews this week and of course Im worrying more about what Im going to wear than what Im going to say :lol:

Whilst I know they wont be expecting me to turn up in a suit, I pretty much live in vintage tea dresses, old cardis and oversized breton tops which are obviously not appropriate.

my first interview is on wednesday (as in 2 days time :doh:) so I have hardly any time at all to buy something.

what do I do? :cry: HELP

Don’t panic! You don’t have to dress as smart for uni interviews as you would for a job interview. A tea dress would be fine to wear perhaps with a blazer and brogues or whatever takes your fancy. Just avoid jeans, open toe shoes/trainers and bare legs just to be on the safe side. Good Luck! :flower:

I would go safe and wear a pair or jeans, in dark blue/black, with a really simple white t-shirt and a cute blazer. Well, that's usually how I dress when I have exams with the teacher in front of me. My teachers always said to me to go with a simple outfit, in black or grey with a touch of white.
But I think a neutral vintage tea dress, with a blazer would look cute but comfy too, as you need to be on an uni interview. Or an oversized bretton tops with a simple jeans. I think that the essential is to don't dress like you're straight up from a magazine. They usually don't like it too much.

Well, I don't know if that helps but Good Luck :flower:

this probably depends on the uni :smile: i went to a super quirky liberal arts school in the middle of nowhere here, so that wasn't really an issue... i say just be yourself! i personally think slim black pants with a breton top and red ballet flats always looks impossibly chic and pulled-together -- you want to look like a smarty-pants 18 year old, not a frumpy old woman :smile:

I work in retail part time and we had a girl come in who had an interview for Yale. Instead of putting her in basic slacks and a coat, we ended up deciding on a black wool type dress with a simple white stitch design on the top. Since it was sleeveless she was going to wear a simple yet nice jacket over top of it that she had at home. The most important thing was that she was comfortable though and it was not something she would have to keep adjusting because in an interview that's the last thing you want to worry about. My suggestion is go something that is your style. It may not be the best thing to show up in an oversized tee but if you have a more vintage style, maybe add something in that says that but in the end still staying professional.

Your vintage tea dresses sound fine to me ...

The school I went to wants to see your personality ... seems like a good opportunity to just be yourself :flower: Now if you said you wear Daisy Dukes and Doc Martens, I would advise you to spiff it up a little :lol:

Wear whatever makes you feel comfortable, self-confident and powerful. A tea-dress with a nice cardigan sounds great.

I've had lots of friends who were in your situation once upon a time! Definitely no jeans, no 5 inch heels and no over-exposure! Blazers over a pressed shirt and skinny/slim trousers with sensible heels work well.

Oh, and don't forget to get your make up done - but leave the nail polish at home. A friend who had applied to read Chemistry in one of the UOLs had the interviewer say 'don't you know that your nail polish will affect the quality of your experiment results?'.

All the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->