What would you like to see in magazines?

Discussion in 'Magazines' started by KateIsGr8, Sep 12, 2009.

1. KateIsGr8

KateIsGr8 Active Member

Given the opportunity to decide what is shown in a new magazine, what are some things you would like to see in the magazine to make it successful?

2. Franzy

Franzy New Member

5+ stunning eds minimum in all issues. :P

3. Filipe

Filipe New Member

Will only choose one thing: Lady Gaga ... a whole issue only with Lady Gaga, "Lady Gaga Obsession" you know, just like they are doing to Natasha Poly in Muse.

It'd sell sell sell as hell !

4. tarsha

tarsha Active Member

^ Every fashion magazine is making ed with her or with other model as Gaga.

I'm bored.

I want to see different backgrounds on VR covers, not boring white.
    VN always uses white background but surprisingly for me I love this white backgorunds.

Also don't want to see Daria twice in a year on Vogue Paris cover.

5. ChloeFrancoise

ChloeFrancoise Active Member

Good editorials
    interesting interviews
    covers with actual models and the occasional actor or singer if they're interesting enough
    also the covers wouldn't be bombarded with too much text and the content inside wouldn't be a whole 1/2 full of ads.
    I don't know how a magazine with what I want would sell though since I don't think what I'd like would appeal to a large amount of people. If I actually had a magazine myself I wouldn't mind if a certain TFS member was a writer on it.

6. Filipe

Filipe New Member

Yes, but it'd be a COMPLETE issue of Lady Gaga.

My post has a sarcasm warning, btw.

7. KateIsGr8

KateIsGr8 Active Member

Oooh, most definitely! If I had a magazine, I would probably do a HUGE Lady Gaga special. Like 800 pages or so. I love her!!!

8. pajonk

pajonk New Member

I want see more new models in VP

anda about Nicolas Ghesquiere edytorials, interviews, covers :wink: I love Him !!:heart:

9. kasper!

kasper! Well-Known Member

I expect some eds that focus on the clothes themselves.

10. MON

MON Well-Known Member

New batch of models in every issue

11. muglerette

muglerette Member

it would be great to see complete designer issue...with pieces from the archives

a gaultier special by david sims
    givenchy(mixed with hubert de givenchy,mcqueen,mcdonald,ricardo...done by panos steven klein and ricardo)
    thierry mugler done by steven meisel
    john galliano by alasdair mclellan
    raf simons by vanderperre
    chanel by mert and markus
    versace by sorrentti.....gianni and donatella
    prada by vanderperre
    gianfranco ferre by inez&vinooh
    yves saint laurent(yves/tom/stefano)by craig mcdean
    vivienne westwood by camilla akrans
    alexander mcqueen by paolo roversi
    alaia by bruce weber
    dolce gabbana by mikael jansson

etc.

mixing archive pieces and new collections on the models of the moment...coming out every 2 month

12. fashionismydrug

fashionismydrug New Member

Good writing and awesome eds...I feel like thats not asking much

13. blueorchid

blueorchid you soft and only

Better articles.

14. ApertureRomance

ApertureRomance New Member

Less articles about anti ageing , what to wear at every age. The complete banning of the phrase 'wobbly bits; , anything that complains about big bums. No deprecating humour about women. I'm fed up of it.

i-D and Dazed & Confused are far too guilty of worshipping 17 coke sniffers.

15. ChloeFrancoise

ChloeFrancoise Active Member

To add to mine, less photoshopping. I want the subject in the photograph to look like they're are made of flesh and blood, not like a plastic mannequin.

16. Manuva

Manuva congratulations, nerds.

I wish the mainstream magazines (W, Vogue, Harpers, Elle) had better beauty sections. Creative & interesting beauty editorials are so hard to find these days. I know there's magazines that do focus much more heavily on beauty, but I think the mainstream magazines could do so much more with it.

17. ilaughead

ilaughead Active Member

muglerette, I love the designer-themed issue idea. I would add Balenciaga to your list though. Seeing some of the seasons combined on the same page would look awesome. (That huge grey cape from fall '06 with a pair of robot leggings from spring 07, or an archival gown with spring '06 heels...) :blush:

My big problem (other than the price, of course) is men's fashion magazines in general. You get either the lifestyle based ones with more information on actors or shaving gel than clothes, or you get others that feature the same editorials every season (teenage boys in leather coats in b&w, teenage boys wearing very little, teenage boys in 'sharp' silhouettes, etc.) And as much as I like Panos and Alistair, (and I *love* both of them) there are more stylists out there with different points of view. Some variation would be nice sometimes.

Many magazines could change the whole one-designer-per-shot philosophy they use so often. If I wanted to see a boy in a Prada suit on a plain backgound, I would look at runway shots. If I'm looking at a magazines, I demand creativity. Let's combine a few designers into the same photograph, could we?

Ooh, and let's get rid of Terry Richardson. I can't stand him or his work. Or him in his work. I hope sex-offender chic is on it's way out. Call me a prude, but I like to think there are much more talented photographers to fill pages.

18. the-raven

the-raven Member

Well in terms of men's fashion I think what Olivier Rizzo, Alister Mackie and Panos Yiapanis are doing is really exciting, bt the ounger generaton of menswear photographers don't seem to have as much vision as the stylists.