What do you do with your magazines?

Reaction score
I currently subscribe to 5 magazines:
W
Elle
Nylon
Vogue US

and Clear Magazine, which is an art/design magazine.

As a fashion design student myself, I am ADDICTED to editorials/fashion magazines. If i could subscribe to european magazines, I would! But they are too expensive :[ I treat my magazines like books really...

So, I was wondering what all of you do with your subscriptions, and how you use them to your advantage? I have a big folder full of categorized editorials and how-to's, but I dont know how to use my magazines to their full advantage!
I have so much inspiration and have thought of doing collages, but the magazines are so chalk full of information, how do you keep track of it all??
If you love fashion as much as everyone else here, including myself, you will understand that having over 100 magazines on your shelf is frustrating!! Cutting them up is a pain, and its like you want to treat them like books,and not just magazines that you use and look at once in a while! I am curious to see how you all use your magazines.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited by a moderator:

I am ADDICTED to editorials/fashion magazines. If i could subscribe to european magazines, I would! But they are too expensive :[ I treat my magazines like books

Because I treat them like books I would never, never cut them up. Sometimes there is a good picture on both sides of a page as well. So if you want to make collages then scan them and then muck around with the digital version. Although storing them is a problem. Maybe you could store them in boxes in them stating which magazine and the year.

Well I reread them over and over again so I keep all of them and I'll never cut them up unless the issue is really bad. I understand that you can't subscibe to European mags, I feel your pain =)

flick through them,buy it,read,pop them on in a corner,re-read,ordered them onto my shelf.

:smile:

I find that once you cut them up - or start filing the contents away in folders - you need hours of free time to organise and maintain that collection; it's much easier to keep them intact.

I also keep them intact, all stored in plastic bags to avoid yellowing and possible humidity impacts. This way, magazines are always in mint condition.

Although I'm thinking about cutting and collect only the fashion editorial section of my W magazine collection and bind them ordered by year. I just need to find someone who can make a good binding.
If I could find a portfolio case (as the ones model agencies carry) maybe could be an alternative ... any suggestions? where to find them?

Because of constant moving, I keep my faves in mint condition. For the rest, I cut out memorable tears and put them in one comprehensive binder. Takes a good weekend, but it's worth it!

When I was younger I used to cut the pictures I like (models, clothing, runway etc) and put them all together nicely on a a exercise book :blush:

I didn't have internet that time, so magazines were the only source for my "obsession"

I just read them, and after I give them away or throw away the least interesting ones

I have a large bookcase full of old magazines. I store them all in magazine files as I love looking over them again and again. I could never cut them up, I prefer them how they're meant to be. Scanning is a delicious saviour for when you want to mess with an issue but don't want to give them the chop.

I used to cut them up for the ads, but I wouldn't dare now. I keep them on rows on shelves.
It is sort of getting out of hand now, and I need a new storage system.

I have a cupboard which fits eight stacks nicely like so:

Top shelf: InStyle* - Teen Vogue - Vogue UK - Harper's Bazaar UK

Bottom shelf: Elle* - Grazia - Vogue US - Harper's Bazaar US

*alternates between US and UK depending on the editorials usually.

I'm not quite sure what happens when the shelves get full. I'm also looking for some protective "folders" for them. Idk.

I sold... donated to a local fashion college & gave away a good part of my collection last year. It is so liberating... so wonderful to be free of all these magazines that were weighing me down. I'm being very selective now about what I buy & I've been tearing up magazines that I don't want to save & making collages in some lovely hardbound blank books I bought on sale at the bookstore.

I do absolutely nothing with it. I feal great bliss just looking at it so organized on the floor/shelves. :heart:

I sell/give mine away to a local bookstore or just dump them. Unless I paid a lot for a magazine or really like it's contents I won't keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->