Why do you like/hate Rochas by Olivier Theyskens?

Yes the guy is amazing....but sometimes i regret the Rochas style is not much more like he did before for his own collections...

Baizilla said:
How can you not love this guy?

i wanted to write that too :lol: I must say, I MUCH prefer his own line, which no longer exists. Those gowns of his were just flabbergasting. :woot::heart:B)

I don't think it's possible to not like Rochas. The gowns are gorgeous. :P

look at those signature floor-length skirts... they are works of art..

those alone would make you worship Theyskens..

You can tell by the clothes that Olivier and his talented team know exactly what they are doing - the cut, the fabrics and the detailing just fit perfectly well together, the colours are always very distinct. He´s certainly good with evening, but he also knows how to cut a fabulous pantsuit (I must say, some of the best and most flattering pants out there these days) or a strict tailleur. He is also one of the few that is just as good with structured couture as in capturing the flou.

Just as Sarah Mower said before, he´s a die-hard romantic but manages to bring it back to a point where it´s not sugar-y sweet but beautiful and real. The identity he build up for the Rochas woman is otherwordly and engrossed, austere yet sensual. He is one of the few designers that is dressing women in an utterly respectful manner, it´s so against the vulgarity that is out there in fashion and popular culture.

I like the way he is pushing his vocabulary forward with only the smallest of steps, it´s the consistancy and calmness that amazes me about Olivier, considering that he is only 28!

Last but not least, big time credits for Lieven Bonne, Olivier´s talented accessories and footwear designer... I think he´s one of the most talented in his métier and I cross my fingers that he´ll eventually receive the recognition that he deserves... he´s also designing for Bruno by the way...!

...soooo, the only thing I´d love to know is, whom of you girls is actually wearing Rochas??

tricotineacetat said:
...soooo, the only thing I´d love to know is, whom of you girls is actually wearing Rochas??

yea, i want to know that too. it's so incredibly expensive, and i never hear anyone say they wear it. you know, one time i saw one of his $2000 mini-skirts at a discount store here for $30, and I wanted to buy it just because... :lol:

faust said:
yea, i want to know that too. it's so incredibly expensive, and i never hear anyone say they wear it. you know, one time i saw one of his $2000 mini-skirts at a discount store here for $30, and I wanted to buy it just because... :lol:

Don´t tell me, this is a fashion nightmare become true... :cry:

Well, let me be the first to say I am not :lol:

I saw a gorgeous dragonfly jacket for spring that would have tempted me if I didn't already have a plan built around other pieces and if I didn't live in such a warm climate ... there is almost no such thing as a spring jacket in my wardrobe. Actually I do have *one*, but it's inexpensive ... I certainly can't build a spring/summer wardrobe around it, it's just a transitional item I wear a few times in the spring and a few times in the fall.

I think his clothes are absolutely gorgeous, but when I buy designer I'm looking for a statement piece (which the gorgeous dragonfly jacket def was). I saw your post on another thread, tricot, about who will spend 1200 euros on a pair of black pants. My own approach is to buy what I consider basics (like black pants) at a lower price point. The fabric and fit are important to me, but I can find good or great ones from Ellen Tracy or Ann Taylor.

In the case of his fall collection, it's very very similar to what I'm doing for spring, and I'm ready for a change ...

But love or hate, it's definitely love :heart: ... and you really need to watch the video rather than look at the stills when it comes to Rochas.

I guess a lot of women don´t want to look that way, Rochas is obviously not trendy, not very young as a point of view - at the same time, not incredibly sex-driven. It´s very decidedly adult and like I said, quite against the zeitgeist - yet, that´s exactly what I like about Olivier.

I'm yet another person who must ask, how could you not love it?

I admit though, it took me some time to warm up to Olivier's work at Rochas (the stiff, Balenciaga-esque ladylike thing wasn't really for me) but by his third season it was love.

Regardless of wearability and all of that, the clothes are just absolutely beautiful to look at. His gowns are impeccable, the details are interesting and the overall look of it is just so appealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I´d really love an equivalent to one of his awesome Linen suits from S/S 2006, that´s exactly what I´d love to wear - casual, effortless, chic.

I confess the photos don't do the actual clothes justice sometimes as they are very fine. His own line was maverick in many ways but I feel he made the right choice to prove himself in the big arena. His backers were also dodgy and he really is too good for that. His sense of poetry is astounding sometimes and I know he will only get better. He's also a very old soul despite his lovely looks.

tricotineacetat said:

Yeah, great question.

I would like to ask the same question, not only about Rochas, but also Balenciaga & Chanel... generally those labels with high pricepoints..

because if you look at the "What are you wearing today?" thread.. you see a general pattern, that is; not a lot of the girls are wearing clothes from expensive labels (however they still look great, though ^_^), whereas the guys are all wearing expensive designer labels from top to toe.. i'm talking C Diem/LMaltieri, DH, CCP, Raf Simons, all those belgian designers etc...

I've been wondering about this for quite a while.. only explanation i could think of is; the girls are more interested in the aesthetic point of view, "it is not about what you wear, but how you wear it"... while the guys are interested in the quality, thus the expensive clothes..

but maybe this belongs to another thread :wink:

hopping on the 'how can you NOT love it?' train....
taking it all the way to the end of the line...

:heart:...

Baizilla said:
Yeah, great question.

I would like to ask the same question, not only about Rochas, but also Balenciaga & Chanel... generally those labels with high pricepoints..

because if you look at the "What are you wearing today?" thread.. you see a general pattern, that is; not a lot of the girls are wearing clothes from expensive labels (however they still look great, though ^_^), whereas the guys are all wearing expensive designer labels from top to toe.. i'm talking C Diem/LMaltieri, DH, CCP, Raf Simons, all those belgian designers etc...

I've been wondering about this for quite a while.. only explanation i could think of is; the girls are more interested in the aesthetic point of view, "it is not about what you wear, but how you wear it"... while the guys are interested in the quality, thus the expensive clothes..

but maybe this belongs to another thread :wink:

Actually, I think this is only a partial reason. Another big part of that reason is that in the US, unlike in Europe - you usually (not always) must pay through the nose to get beautiful, well-fitted menswear. Women can much faster get away with high street stuff, because they have so much more choice. It's a matter of the view of masculinity in the US - if you are a "real" man, you better be a careless slob.

tricotineacetat said:
guess who???...

:wink:...
it's mostly eveningwear...
you wouldn't really wear it for day...so that is probably part of the issue...
you would probably only see people wear this stuff at particular events...

it's not usually the kind of thing you just wear out to dinner even...
it's quite stiff and formal really...

faust: Exactly. Most department stores I have been to cater to a 'beach/surfer dude' aesthetic, which I care very little for. My girlfriend finds it much easier to get interesting, non 'surfer' clothing at a reasonable price.

And plus, how can you not be astounded by this:
00330m.jpg

style.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nymphfable
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"