Why do you like/hate Rochas by Olivier Theyskens?

First off....Hate rochas by olivier?!:shock:

...I can understand these hate/likes with other designers who get a tad-bit silly. But Olivier Theyskens??

Second, on who wears him...I know a few women who own a gown or two, but i sometimes think his clientele is a much more mature/older woman. Rather than his ideal shown on the runway. personal opinion ofcourse.

Balenciaga is limited, if any (that can be found in decent shape/size) pieces for boys..so I cant vouch for that. Unless you're talking about bags, then I can^_^

Chanel? hah... who doesnt own anything chanel these days.

faust said:
It's a matter of the view of masculinity in the US - if you are a "real" man, you better be a careless slob.

This is a very sad perception of how a 'real' man should be. :(

softgrey said:
guess who???...

:wink:...
it's mostly eveningwear...
you wouldn't really wear it for day...so that is probably part of the issue...
you would probably only see people wear this stuff at particular events...

it's not usually the kind of thing you just wear out to dinner even...
it's quite stiff and formal really...

That seems to have changed though with this most recent collection ... lots of pants, short skirts, and even *shorts* ... I think the line is becoming more wearable ...

Anna Wintour had ... oh dear, what is her name, the socialite who has an occasional column in Vogue ... it's on the tip of my tongue ... test drive one of the stiffer gowns from last fall, and the feedback wasn't great. Apparently it felt as stiff as it looked. Perhaps he took this to heart ...

Also, Oliviers has a bit of a poignant personal story, another reason to love not hate :wink: :heart:

marina rust?...

yes- it is the separates that i find most wearable in my lifestyle...

chicgarcon said:
Chanel? hah... who doesnt own anything chanel these days.

Not me ... :P And I daresay a good percentage of the rest of the population. Everything I like from Chanel is always logoed out the wazoo, and there's nothing I dislike more than dangling initials that aren't mine ...

chicgarcon said:
Second, on who wears him...I know a few women who own a gown or two, but i sometimes think his clientele is a much more mature/older woman. Rather than his ideal shown on the runway. personal opinion ofcourse.
this is true for most, if not ALL designers...

**the models are 15 yr old scarecrows...!!!...
of COURSE they are not the real customer...
of ANY designer collection...

-how many 15 yr olds do you know who can buy a $2000 dress...?
and even if they could...where would they wear it?...
and wouldn't they just look very foolish...
like a little girl playing 'dress up' in her mommy's closet.....???

these clothes are NOT for little girls...

:lol:...

i love his designs and the long dresses
makes the models look so tall and lean

but obviously i cant afford and no point of wearing a gown to school..(might get mustard on it >'_'<)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remembered passing the windows of Barney's New York 2 years ago and saw this stunning Rochas dress; and I never got it out of my mind.
It was, simply, beautiful.

Rochas' price point is a bit high but to me the problem is that, none of them are extremely wearable for me and the selection I have is small. Granted, I own one outfit from Rochas but that's it. Balenciaga can be "fancy" but I can still pull it off, because I go to "dressy" places etc., but sighs, Rochas is different.

Is there anyone else except Olivier and YSL, who have accomplished so much in their early 20s? The guy was hardly growing stubble when he created all that lovely gothic stuff for his own line. Another thing is that he has truly stayed honest to his vision, it would been so easy for him to sell out after the unfortunate death of his signature collection...but luckily Olivier's smart with his moves and now we have Rochas!

SiennaInLondon said:
What is this about? I cant find a reference to it anywhere.

The socialite who test drove the Rochas dress whose name I couldn't remember ...

... can i tell you why i like/hate these 'why do you like/hate ___' threads? ... ^_^ ....

tuomas said:
Is there anyone else except Olivier and YSL, who have accomplished so much in their early 20s? The guy was hardly growing stubble when he created all that lovely gothic stuff for his own line. Another thing is that he has truly stayed honest to his vision, it would been so easy for him to sell out after the unfortunate death of his signature collection...but luckily Olivier's smart with his moves and now we have Rochas!

i was under the impression that he closed his own company upon getting the offer from rochas...
not that he went out of business first and then got the job...

so there was technically no 'demise'...which implies some tragic end...
he simply made a choice to focus on the job at hand at rochas...
which he really needed to do-
since, as you mentioned...he was still young and green and learning...

correct me if i am wrong...
:unsure:

the truth is...
if he makes a real success of it at rochas (which he seems to be on track with)...
then he will be poised to build an empire under his own name...
clever boy that olivier...
^_^...

The resaon he closed his line and started working for Rochas was in Vogue July 2003--"When that label folded in early 2002, after a falling-out with his Belgian-fisheries-magnate backer, he didn't panic...Theyskens set to work custuming an opera for the Theatre Royal de la Monnaie in Brussels and--to everybody'd syrprise--accepted the job of restoring the fortunes of thr moribund house of Rochas."

I loved Olivier's interpretation of old world couture...his stiff, structured dresses of Rochas are always so beautiful and grand...I also love his signiture skirt suits for Rochas...but I'm not sure if I prefer his new approach on the lighter, more relaxed, matronly look with long sleeves, and baggy skirts...I want a see a new direction soon...it's about time he proogress into the next interpretation of a Rochas woman

I could get excited so I'm thinking how to start... first off, it's like or maybe 'love' for me - too easy to see coming :lol: Olivier just seems to redefine beauty every season. His dedication is astounding; but equally so, is his seamless interweaving of whichever influences drive his advancement of the definition. His collections aren't so theme-driven, it's just incredible refinement. I miss the days of his eponymous line you know, but only a little. Maybe like how I miss my own childhood :P

softgrey said:
i was under the impression that he closed his own company upon getting the offer from rochas...
not that he went out of business first and then got the job...

Nope, as Foxie pointed out he closed his business already in 2002 due to problems with his financier. There were also rumours of him going to Givenchy a few years ago, but the poor bastards hired Julien McDonald instead...

I do actually have and wear some pieces of Rochas but i bought them in a private sale so the price was really really low.Besides the fact that the price is lower is true that is still difficult to find some pieces wearable the day for young women...The shoes are really nice and some sweaters are amazings...but the style is still a bit more for older women or really chic young women.
Last collection showed another direction, the shorts and pants look amazing...

The most refined clothes that communicate a positive spirited darkness. Always loved it and if anyone has pictures of his early work, i think its worth posting. i remember a corset with rigid hood from a visionaire book(not THE visionaire luxury magazine, but an earlyer version) I also have an interesting picture od an object he uses as inspiration for rochas. Ill find time to scan it and post it its really something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nymphfable
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->