Why Do You Own Both Authentics & Replicas?

bagalicious

Reaction score
coco- I have a question for you, coming from genuine interest and curiosity (and :heart: ) I have always wondered why you have a rep of your authentic Alexa? Don't you ever feel that you're not getting your money's worth from your authentic? :unsure:
I was just curious when do you actually use your authentic, I know if I had both I would probably only want to use the authentic as it would bother me carrying a replica if I had the real thing sitting in a closet at home.:blush:
I would just be careful as I am with all my other authentics.
I would love to hear you opinion. :flower:
I can understand buying a rep of a bag that we dont have the authentic of, But don't quite understand having both of the same bag:unsure:

As i know personally speaking if i had a authentic balenciaga work i would NEVER use my NBF works anymore...I just know myself:blush: it would kill me knowing I had the real thing at home in a dust bag, or hanging on a bag hook, life is to short for me, I would want to use the authentic ALL THE TIME.:lol: Maybe it's just me :blush: :innocent:
Coming from a place of genuine interest :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
coco- I have a question for you, coming from genuine interest and curiosity (and :heart: ) I have always wondered why you have a rep of your authentic Alexa? Don't you ever feel that you're not getting your money's worth from your authentic? :unsure:
I was just curious when do you actually use your authentic, I know if I had both I would probably only want to use the authentic as it would bother me carrying a replica if I had the real thing sitting in a closet at home.:blush:
I would just be careful as I am with all my other authentics.
I would love to hear you opinion. :flower:
I can understand buying a rep of a bag that we dont have the authentic of, But don't quite understand having both of the same bag:unsure:

As i know personally speaking if i had a authentic balenciaga work i would NEVER use my NBF works
anymore...I just know myself:blush: it would kill me knowing I had the real thing at home in a dust bag,
or hanging on a bag hook, life is to short for me, I would want to use the authentic ALL THE TIME.:lol:
Maybe it's just me :blush: :innocent:
Coming from a place of genuine interest :flower:

Baga: Do you have any authentic Balenciaga bags in your collection? If so when/where do you carry them? I am curious?

I think that you can understand living in NYC the general rudeness of New Yorkers on the street and on the subway which I ride a lot to get around NY. People on the subway are always carrying coffee and eating food out of styrofoam condtainers which I don't understand as the subway is certainly not a clean place. I have had numerous people bump into me and they usually injure me or my handbag. I honestly don't carry my authentic Alexa because I don't want anyone near it and I have genuine fear that someone
will ruin it by taking a chunk of leather out of my bag or spilling something on it. Some ladies on the purse forum have posted that when they carry their Alexa next to denim the blue bleeds I to and stains
their Alexa. The Jacky Alexa gets no denim transfer at all anid this is a plus for me as I no longer worry
when I carry it. I can carry my Jacky Alexa worry free but I cannot say that the same is true for my
Authentic Alexa.

Also, as you know it rains here in NYC quite a bit. I don't carry any of my authentic Bal or Mulberry bags on those days. I have a black Coach bag which I save for these occasions which unfortunately in NYC are often.

/\Thank you for explaining,:flower:
I was just wondering if you got mileage from your authentic that's all^_^
I am so oblivious to all that on the trains at this point in NYC, But you're right, there are accidents waiting to happen on the subway:D

Going to Nordstroms rack today with a fellow FS member friend, can't wait to see what they have, My first time ever to a Nordstrom anything.:woot:

/\Thank you for explaining,:flower:
I was just wondering if you got mileage from your authentic that's all^_^
I am so oblivious to all that on the trains at this point in NYC, But you're right, there are accidents waiting to happen on the subway:D

Going to Nordstroms rack today with a fellow FS member friend, can't wait to see what they have, My first time ever to a Nordstrom anything.:woot:

Bagalicious: I am not oblivious to the accidents that can happen on the train.
In fact I am very conscious of it.

Do you have any authentic Balenciaga bags besides your reps? I ask because I don't think you would want someone even near a bag that you paid that amount of money for. If I don't feel I am using a bag enough I usually eventually sell it.

I recently was riding on the subway wearing a white pantsuit. A man got on the train and sat next to me. He proceeded to take a coffee out of the bag.He took the whole lid off of the coffee and started to drink it. I said nothing but when he did it a second time I had to speak. I told him that he had better put that coffee lid back on that coffee. He turned to me and glared for a full forty seconds and said "I can do whatever I want.". I turned and said to him "You can do whatever you want so long as it does not infringe on my right to sit here quietly without having that coffee spill on me,I mean do you not see that I am wearing a white suit". He glared at me for a full thirty seconds in disbelief and then put the coffee away in the bag. Case in point don't be afraid to stand up for yourself.

I have answered your question so please answer mine. Do you have any authentic Balenciaga bags? If so what are they and where do you carry them.

I recently was riding on the subway wearing a white pantsuit. A man got on the train and sat next to me. He proceeded to take a coffee out of the bag.He took the whole lid off of the coffee and started to drink it. I said nothing but when he did it a second time I had to speak. I told him that he had better put that coffee lid back on that coffee. He turned to me and glared for a full forty seconds and said "I can do whatever I want.". I turned and said to him "You can do whatever you want so long as it does not infringe on my right to sit here quietly without having that coffee spill on me,I mean do you not see that I am wearing a white suit". He glared at me for a full thirty seconds in disbelief and then put the coffee away in the bag. Case in point don't be afraid to stand up for yourself.

I have answered your question so please answer mine. Do you have any authentic Balenciaga bags? If so what are they and where do you carry them.

Perhaps he would have responded more positively if you weren't quite so... forceful. :unsure: Correct me if I'm mistaken and it played out differently, but the way you described the scene it sounded like you ordered the man.
Either way, I definitely agree with you asking the man to be more careful with his coffee in that situation, and it's good that you took precautions to ensure that your belongings didn't get ruined.

And out of curiosity, when do you carry your authentic Alexa? Since you're always worried about the weather/people in NYC, I was just wondering if you ever get the chance to take your gorgeous Alexa out to see the light of day? :flower:

/\ No I do not have any authentic balenciaga bags. Only NBFS.
I have authentic other bags but they are not Balenciaga's, But I do use them all the time, for work, for play, I have no problem with them having a lived in look.
But I would worry if I was wearing white and someone sat next to me on a train and was drinking coffee and ran the risk of being spilled on..FOR SURE

Perhaps he would have responded more positively if you weren't quite so... forceful. :unsure: Correct me if I'm mistaken and it played out differently, but the way you described the scene it sounded like you ordered the man.
Either way, I definitely agree with you asking the man to be more careful with his coffee in that situation, and it's good that you took precautions to ensure that your belongings didn't get ruined.

And out of curiosity, when do you carry your authentic Alexa? Since you're always worried about the weather/people in NYC, I was just wondering if you ever get the chance to take your gorgeous Alexa out to see the light of day? :flower:

Amyiish: The situation warranted being forceful. Do you live in NYC? People here are very self absorbed and don't think of others or of how what they are doing will affect others. Most people break a whole in their coffee lid and drink it that way. They do not take a lid off a coffee and start drinking it on a moving train. That is just not wise IMHO.

I wear my Alex Oak on sunny days in my neighborhood when I know I will not be using public transportation. I have alot of bags so I just rotate them. My Alexa might get used twice a week.

If there is a bag that I can get a GREAT rep of, I have gone for it:woot: If there isn't I buy the authentic (as long as i can afford it) and use them equally in the same places and situations. I own 20 authentic bags and 9 reps (9 NBF + 1 B+S) I treat all the bags equally, I prefer all my bags to have a lived in and used and broken in look. I think all bags look more authentic used and worn anyway^_^ I have either re-homed or given away my reps from yesteryear, let them be in homes that they get used in.
I personally feel a lot happier carrying an authtentic bag, I don't have to worry about it not being right, because I have 100% confidence that it is. Again this is the way I feel.
I don't even really care about other people knowing or not knowing, as most of the people I know do not know the nuances and detailing of the authentics like i do, they assume whatever i carry is authentic, BUT I KNOWB) and to me that is most important.
At this point in my life i would rather carry a $500+ authentic bag than carry a $200+ rep of a $1000 bag, If i couldnt afford it new i would rather buy it gently used. I would rather save and buy the authentic. Again just my opinion. I am over that feeling of "settling or being unhappy coz the HW isn't right":shock:
Having said that i have commited to buy a V'ert D'eau rh work from NBF next month, And to be honest, I am over it:cry: and I haven't even got it, I am so into linnea pelle bags right now..thats all i can think about!
I love the medium dylan's and I want to get a couple of more to add to my LP collection, the leather is AWESOME, and i love the style.:flower:

I want a rehomed bag from bagalicious,lol! Your friends must LOVE you! Do you let them know they're reps or not? I'd be quite happy either way if you want to send some my way ; )!

At this stage in my life (23years old) i can't really be doing with dropping £££ on a bag when i have more sensible (read BORING!!) things to pay for so i'm quite happy to have reps however i do plan on getting certain authentic bags that i know will last stylewise, eg a 2.55 or a M*lberry b*yswater as soon as I feasibly can..

/\ haha....what can I say, I tell who ever I am giving it to that it's not an authentic, I have about 4 girl friends who are in on the rep scene loop, so I stay in that circle for re-gifting or re-homing.

As far as replica care-I have an arsenal of leather creams and potions in my "DIY NBF DRAWER" along with gold leaf paints, tarrago dye, pliers....blah blah blah...I persoanlly have used and can recomend "egyptian Magic for dry thick leather and Leather revive for thin shiny leather and LMB shine restore for cracked leather' my friend thinks I'm crazy (I guess I am) the queen of cream...but I really feel that creams/conditioners can help a bad situation and can make the difference of a bag being used or not.
Sometimes it's a lost cause, if the finish of a bag has no texture to begin with or a satin blouse finish, IMO all the creams in the world will not make the leather appear to have texture or dimension or substance.
The reason why I love the feeling of owning authentic bags is exactly because of this unfinished/incomplete feeling I have with replicas
Like i said before owning a gorgeous mid range designer authentic bag with gorgeous leather that smells like heaven versus a plasticky thin leather wannabe that smells like exon seems like a no brainer to me.
I'm over playing Russian Roulette when it comes to buying bags.

I actually DO own a few auth Bals and ... honest to Pete, the stress of the thing is just not worth it. I nearly had a nervous breakdown when the tassle of me 05 Sky Blue City got caught in my cardoor and snapped. Beyond that, my NBF reps IMHO aren't any better or worse than my auth Bals. They smell good, they're soft, they have beautiful colors - and I DO have a better time carrying them. I don't feel as stressed out about any crazy incident that may occur. And really, if color starts to fade next summer, I probably won't be shaking my head in misery cause I blew $1200 on a bag that's now turning yellow. Now, interestingly enough, I carry my auths more now that I have the NBFs but I prefer my reps to my auths. And I have auth LV and rep LV, auth Coach only (to me, there's no point in repping them), and various other Cole Haan's and Via Spigas that I :heart:)

It IS roulette when you purchase rep, but I tend to stick with styles that have great testimonials and/or purchase from fellow rep lovers that I trust. That cuts down on the bs tremendously. I'm kinda sorta glad I skipped out on the NBF black cause folks are NOT happy. On the other hand, I wouldn't dream of skipping out on the Sorbet that's coming. Cause, real talk, no way in H.E. double hockey sticks would I buy a $1800 pink bag. Sorry. But @ a few hundred bucks? I'll take it. :smile: (And FIND things in my closet for it to go with.)

I think what coco109 is getting at is this........
She is more comfortable carrying a $115 Mulberry Alexa on a subway, in the rain, whatever, than carrying her $1250 authentic bag.
Spending $250 on an NBF GH Work is different than spending TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS on the authentic. I think she's asking how comfortable would you be carrying that bag, knowing that it could be ruined in an instant? Not everyone can rush back out to Barney's that afternoon and replace it. I know I certainly couldn't. I have no problem spending $495 on a Linea Pelle or Coach or MBMJ bag, but I can't justify spending $2200 for a Bottega when I can get a perfectly acceptable replica for less than ten percent of that. Nonetheless, if I had the authentic I think I would most certainly carry the authentic. However, I'm not sure how I would feel if I brushed past someone and their cigarette was knocked into my purse and burned part of the leather. Quelle horreur!
I wouldn't dress up my rep to make it look more authentic. I really don't think anyone even notices such things. On my last trip to Barney's, they don't even put the colour on the tag. You have to ask the salesperson, and usually they have to look it up in the computer! Even when I purchased my bags at Tod's the colour was not listed on the bag. In fact, I don't even remember if the model name was on there. When I got the receipt it just had an 15 number alpha-numeric code for the bags. The shoes had an actual name assigned to them.
Anyways, that's not the subject of the post. I own both authentics and replicas and I love them all equally. There is perhaps a bit more of a spring in my step when I'm carrying an auth and I feel that I could dress more blah (like as if I ever WOULD!), compared to me wanting to make sure that I'm carrying my replica and looking as if it BELONGS. I'm sorry, but anyone who carries something like say, a Chanel MultiPocket Cambon bag and is wearing ratty shoes, dirty jeans, peeling nail polish and her roots are two inches long..... sorry, but it's just gonna look like a Big 'ol FAKE to me! Speaking of that, I've got a great article to share with you all. Perhaps this is a good place to post it.
Bagalicious...... great thread topic BTW girlfriend. Let's keep it going. Much love as always. :heart:
ColeyX3 : H E double hockey sticks? Thrashers Fan much? We might be sistas from another mama... minus the Thrashers bit!

This article is courtesy of rahrahrah.posterous.com by Meg Tirrell, it is from Dec/09. I don't know how to quote the blog so it's in this format instead.
ENJOY!

Your Fake Louis Vuitton Bag Does Nothing For You If You Don't Look The Part

Some interesting research from Renee Richardson Gosline, Marketing Professor at MIT. It's always cool when you come across someone who is doing what you think you might want to do. Good to see the kind of work that I might be able to produce if this Ph.D thing works out. Living in the capital of counterfeits - where people from all stripes carry fake handbags - I have become adept at spotting fakes (its all about the seams, the hardware and if the straps are made of pleather). I know on the train I am more likely to give a purse a closer inspection if the person doesn't look the part (it's not right, but it's ok). Pressured by a friend on a trip to Canal St., I've only bought a fake purse once. I never carried it because it just looked faker and faker and I was paranoid. I would see people carrying the same purse in the streets and laugh to myself. I am by no means a fashionista so I probably couldn't pull it off anyway.

Dec. 2 (Bloomberg) -- If you want to tout that fake Louis Vuitton Le Radieux handbag as the real deal, you had better look the part, according to a Massachusetts Institute of Technology researcher.

People are more likely to identify a designer handbag as authentic if the individual carrying it wears expensive clothes or has a certain aura that says rich person, the research found. The study, by Renee Richardson Gosline, an assistant professor of marketing at MIT’s Sloan School of Management, showed that shoppers can more accurately distinguish between real designer bags and fakes if given social cues.

Gosline showed 100 owners of luxury handbags photos of the items alone against blank backdrops and ones worn by people in social settings. She found that the ability to discern an item’s authenticity and the amount a shopper would pay for the product declined with the lack of context.

“Counterfeits are really not serving as a substitute for the real thing at all,” Gosline, a former brand manager for LVMH Moet Hennessey Louis Vuitton, said yesterday in a telephone interview from Cambridge, Massachusetts-based MIT. “Consumers are a lot smarter than we may give them credit for -- just because you’ve got a nice fake doesn’t mean you’re going to get away with it.”

Annual sales of counterfeit goods total about $600 billion worldwide, almost 7 percent of global trade, Gosline said in an unpublished research paper. That includes industries other than luxury goods, such as automotives, pharmaceuticals, media and consumer items, she said.

Counterfeiting costs U.S. businesses as much as $250 billion a year, according to the Washington-based International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition.

Conspicuous Consumption

Gosline’s research also supports the theory of conspicuous consumption -- that people will spend lavishly on goods to show off their wealth and social status. The study showed that people will pay twice as much for an item when they think they can use it to send cues about wealth and taste, she said.

Luxury-products sales may rise next year for the first time since 2007, consulting firm Bain & Co. estimated in October. Revenue in the 153 billion-euro ($230 billion) industry is forecast to increase 1 percent in 2010, excluding currency movements, according to Bain’s study. Revenue this year is likely to fall 8 percent, the firm said.

Still, fake luxury purses have a place on the social ladder. Many purchasers of knock-off bags move on to buy real ones within a few years, Gosline found in a separate study of 100 consumers.

“The counterfeit actually served as a placebo for brand attachment,” she said. “People were becoming increasingly attached to the real brand even though they never possessed it at all.”

From Fake to Real

Forty-six percent of the counterfeit-bag owners bought the authentic products within two and a half years, she said. Shoppers were willing to pay $786 for a real luxury bag, which declined to $403, on average, when they saw the items out of context displayed against a neutral background, Gosline found in the other study.

“People who look authentic to the brand -- high status people -- are far more able to get away with a fake than people who are not,” Gosline said. “A counterfeit is not necessarily going to do the same thing that a real brand will.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Meg Tirrell in New York at [email protected].

via Bloomberg

Counterfeits in context

Simon Houpt
From Friday's Globe and Mail Published on Friday, Dec. 04, 2009 12:00AM EST

Can you tell the difference between a luxury handbag and a fake? A new working paper by an associate professor of marketing at MIT's Sloan School of Management suggests that most people look to contextual clues to help discern the real from the counterfeit. “Basically these consumers look at the person, the setting, and determine the authenticity by seeing if the person's image corresponds with the image they have of the brand,” said Renée Richardson Gosline, whose “Rethinking Brand Contamination” is being written with an eye to publication in the Journal of Marketing. Her research suggests that mere product shots of luxury goods are not nearly as persuasive as images of those products in a full-scale luxury context. Prof. Gosline further notes that people judge each other's entire appearance rather than the individual items worn. For anecdotal support, she points to the existence of many online fashion-police groups, including a Facebook page with the most adorably revolting name we've heard this week: “Darling, I can tell by the rest of your outfit your Louis Vuitton is fake.”
via Globe & Mail

/\ Good stuff shelleybean
These paperbacks are also a good read

1)Bringing Home the Birkin: My Life in Hot Pursuit of the World's Most Coveted Handbag
By michael Tonello
2) Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster By Dana thomas

i have always carried my authentic bags to dress up my extra-casual outfits. i live in jeans and flip-flops and have carried authentic LV's for more than 20 years.

now i'm not trying to pull off a birkin or anything...that would be ridiculous for me

since most of my friends know i carry the real thing, it doesn't hurt to slip a fake or 2 (or 10) into the mix

besides, my husband and my friends wouldn't know a real Bal bag if it bit them

i have real diamonds, but also happily wear good fake ones!

^ So True!!!! but I must say I only get the yummie feeling if I buy the real deal

^ i totally agree!!

in my collection of over approx 15 auth bal bags and accessories, i can say that none of my t&d purchases can compare in quality to the real deal. IMO the auth just has a luxurious feel, look and smell to it that the reps lack. i'm not saying you are getting your money's worth in what you pay for in auths, but it does cost more for a reason

i have finally have come to the realization - who am i kidding with my reps?? i don't ever carry them when i'm out with my friends, who would be able to tell right off the bat as they are in the fashion industry and/or own many auth bags themselves. and with the amount of reps i have purchased in the last few months, i could've purchased 3-4 premier auth bags :smile:

Why did I buy replicas....Good question
I wanted to post about my year of buying replica bags. In the last year I had bought 30 replica bags....I now wish I had saved all the money( approx $200 a bag...you do the math) I spent on imitations and bought $6000 of the real deal.
I was momentarily happy when I received a replica bag, If I'm honest with myself it was more about the purchase than the actual bag I was receiving...I felt like a hamster on a wheel..chasing the perfect rep...that I knew in my heart did not exist...All the bags started to morph together.
I have never felt 100% confident or genuinely proud of any rep that I have carried, and this feeling started to get to me about 3 months ago.
I couldn't live with the incorrect details and compromises of replica bags anymore, it was me that couldn't except them anymore, no one else.
I had to plan my day accordingly as if I wanted to go shopping at a retail store that sold authentic bags I didn't want to look like the hot mess that was carrying a frankenbag.
Can I get Amen in here!
I woke up one morning and was really turned off with my collection of 30+ bags that were all fake and felt sick that I had not spent the money on authentic bags even if they were less desirable/top premium brands. I didn't have and still don't have any opinions on how the reps were made or in what conditions or any of that, it was just based on how I felt.
About a year ago I posted replica bags on a site that was known for authentic's, and for some amount of the time I got away with it, and it was like a game, and it it was daring and I have to admit it was a lot of fun...But when I was "exposed" obviously embarrassed, and then found a thread for replicas where I was welcome, but I still find myself living a lie, just a different lie, and I realize now that it's the lack of respect that I have for the bags that turned me off the bag eventually.
I am now proud to say that I have an authentic collection of 20 bags...and even tho each bag is approx in the $500-$700 range, I feel so much better about carrying it than a $200 bag trying to pose as a $1200, I have more confidence in it and in me and I have found a niche that I can honestly say I belong in. I can go anywhere and never worry that my bag is going to break, or someone is going to know it's a fake, and if it does break I can take it to the AUTHENTIC store and get it repaired, all bags break...even authentic $1000+ bags, but the difference now is I can take it back and have it repaired with pride. And not feel embarrassed that I was going down a road and having the details of my bag changed by potions and paints and smaller rings purchased on line at a metalmonger to match an authentic bag. For me it was a road I wanted..needed to get off.

The moral to this story is be true to yourself, if you have no qualms about carrying a replica bag, or wearing replica shoes and so on..good for you. I had a year of it and I am happy to say I am done with it.
And one more point that i forgot to add is I live in a city and work in an industry where there are a lot of authentic bags and i'm friends with a lot of these people, i was sick of living a lie with them as well..I feel quite releived...big sigh.....:D

^^^ And that makes all the difference! :-)

Those of us who don't travel in that world really don't have that issue of the constant OMG what if they KNOW. I understand why you traded it in, Baga. :flower: I probably would too. But since I'm just a spreadsheet guru in corporate hell that moonlights as writer, meh... most folks don't know and don't care. While I travel in some seriously bourgie circles at times, most folk don't know enough to call me out and those that do really DON'T know the diff. They ooooh and ahhh and know that I've purchased enough auth to be able to afford to mix in some rep with no raised eyebrows.

There is definitely something to be said about jumping into Neimans or Bloomies and plopping down over a grand for a bag just because you can. To me, that's the yummy feeling. It's not the bag when I stroke my 05 and stroke my 06 and stroke my T&D and feel no diff. For me, it was the thrill of spending the dough. Of knowing that I COULD buy auth if I FELT LIKE IT.

... but I don't. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol: As long as all my bag divas are happy, the choices are irrelevant. If you're going to rock auth, do it with pride. If you're going to rock rep, make it GOOOOOOD rep, and do it with confidence.

Shelleybean your posts crack me up :lol: I'm still laughing at the me me me me me one from earlier!

You make a great point. These NBFs are reps that are a fraction of the price of the authentic and T&D does a damn fine job. Of course it's great when we get a rep with incredible leather, but I'm trying to be much, much less picky. One thing I always keep in mind, which has been mentioned here before of course, is the variance in the auth Bal leathers too. I see complaints on the other forum of dry bags, leather too thin, don't like the texture/look, etc.

Speaking of incredible T&D leather...congrats on your Sang RH Day. What an amazing bag that will be! All that delicious, slouchy Sang leather is going to be unreal in the Day style.

And the crowd applauds Shellybean. :mohawk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->