Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
Why Is This Man Still Fashionable?

Oscar de la Renta Keeps Evolving;
Ready to Retire? 'Certainly Not'

By VANESSA O'CONNELL
wsj.com

At an age when contemporaries like Valentino Garavani are retiring, 75-year-old designer Oscar de la Renta is having a growth spurt.
His gowns, which sell for up to $16,000, and his luncheon suits, at up to $9,500, now have a following among wealthy women of all ages. His designer line, which includes knit tops and silk pants for the younger set, is sold at chains such as Saks Fifth Avenue and Neiman Marcus in the U.S. and at 45 stores overseas, up from seven a year-and-a-half ago. Next year, he will increase the number of free-standing boutiques he operates to around 12 from seven. In all, Oscar de la Renta-brand clothing, perfume and other products generate about $750 million in annual retail sales, not counting O Oscar, a middle-market line produced under license by Kellwood Co.
The 42-year-old design house is a family business. Son-in-law Alexander Bolen, a 39-year-old private-equity veteran, is chief executive. Stepdaughter Eliza Reed Bolen, 38, oversees licensing. Son Moises, 22, has designed casual clothes.
While preparing for today's Manhattan showing of his "pre-fall" collection, the Dominican Republic native discussed his work. Excerpts:
WSJ: What accounts for your recent renaissance?
Mr. de la Renta: Probably it has to do with the fact that I seriously address today a consumer who loves clothes. The most important consumer is the professional woman, and today, a professional woman can buy really beautiful clothes. No longer she has to go to a husband and say, 'Can I buy this dress?' She can do it on her own.
There has never been in the history of fashion a time more exciting to be a designer because there has never been a woman as in control of her destiny. I have always done very feminine clothes. So this is my time, the time for women to really be proud to be women.
WSJ: Other mature fashion brands lost their core audiences. How do you keep yours while reaching younger women too?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119609473835803998.html
Mr. de la Renta: Sometimes you will get a designer that so strongly marks a period of fashion that neither he nor his customer can get out of that. I like to think myself in the second category, the designer who sees the changes in a woman and tries to keep pace. We do a secondary line, O Oscar, for the woman who cannot afford my clothes but who one day might be able to.
WSJ: How is your O Oscar line doing?
Mr. de la Renta: [Mid-tier apparel] is a business that across the board has been very, very difficult. Your margins are so small, and there is a wide range of competition. As a whole, that business has been very flat. We just keep trying to make it work. I am sure that we will succeed.
WSJ: You are often compared to your longtime friend Valentino Garavani. Are you thinking of retiring soon, too?
Mr. de la Renta: Certainly not. When I come to work every day I have a lot of very young, talented assistants. Most of all, Alex is sort of running the company. As long as I have the passion for what I do, and as long as there is an acceptance for what I am doing, I am going to keep doing it.
I am going to see [Valentino] in a couple of days. He sold his business a long time ago, which is something I am not contemplating myself. We have very different consumers. Valentino will hate me to say this, but Oscar has a little younger attitude. But listen, he was a great designer. I miss that he is no longer doing what he is doing. What keeps us going is the competition.
WSJ: What was your most challenging period as a designer?
Mr. de la Renta: I felt like a fish out of the water back when women were wearing minimalistic clothes. In the '70s and '80s, we went through women's lib, and had women hesitantly getting into the workplace, dressing in a manner that would not get too much notice, to become part of what was then a man's world. Today a woman knows that putting on lipstick, looking great, putting on a beautiful dress, is wonderful. She can express who she is, in a much stronger way, exercising a sense of femininity.
WSJ: Most designers today are part of a fashion conglomerate, or brands with buzz that are still independent. What do you tell potential investors who call to inquire about Oscar de la Renta?
Mr. de la Renta: Obviously this is a family-controlled business. I have to tell you that before my family came to work in the business, I thought that perhaps it would be a good idea to sell my business. Today when I have members of my family so deeply involved in the business, I think differently. There is a lot that we can do on our own to grow the business.
Five years ago my international business was practically nonexistent. Soon, we will be opening a freestanding store in London, and in Moscow. I have resisted the idea of selling just because I see the business now going in a different manner.
WSJ: You were treated for cancer last year. How is your health?
Mr. de la Renta: My health is good. I just had a hip replacement six weeks ago. Last year, I had something a little bit more serious. But I am totally well now.
WSJ: What's it like working so closely with family members?
Mr. de la Renta: Heaven -- hell. No. Extremely wonderful. Sometimes Alex gets on my nerves. It took me a very long time to convince him to work with me. His business was a very different business. Now when he comes to see me in the studio and starts to express his ideas, I always tell him, "Parsons [the New School for Design] is right up the street, and they have night classes."
Eliza I have been working with for such a long time. She is a great image for the company. She represents the young consumer.
Moises is trying to learn the craft. And I hope he will. He has a sense of style. He is shy sometimes in expressing himself, especially in front of Alex. But he has an eye, no question about it.
WSJ: Are there conflicts between the Oscar de la Renta boutiques and the department stores that also carry the clothes?
Mr. de la Renta: [Operating boutiques] is a very different kind of business. Certainly it involves more risk. When you own the store, you own the merchandise until you sell it. But at the same time, the margins are so much bigger. We have been extremely successful at it. Yesterday we were doing a trunk show in our store on Madison Avenue. For the first time in our store we did over $1 million in one day. We were always very worried that our business with the big stores would shrink. But it is a very different consumer who goes to a boutique than goes to a department store.
WSJ: You increased your advertising recently. Is it paying off?
Mr. de la Renta: The increased awareness of the brand I certainly hope was because of the money that was spent on advertising. In the past, our advertising was minimal. We were much more reliant on the advertising done by the stores. For the image of the brand, and the strength of our image, it is better we do it ourselves.
WSJ: Hillary Clinton and Laura Bush both wore your gowns on Vogue covers, and you dressed them, as well as former First Lady Nancy Reagan, for inaugural balls. What accounts for your popularity among these first ladies?
Mr. de la Renta: I think first ladies identify with the kind of clothes that I do because they feel that I represent them well. Fashion is nonpolitical. So I have been lucky enough that a lot of first ladies have chosen me to design clothes for them.

With Sen. Clinton, with whom I have a very close relationship, I always tease her, saying, "My big dream is one day to see you in a strapless dress."
WSJ: Is that because she has good shoulders?
Mr. de la Renta: She has great shoulders.
Online Only: Additional excerpts from our conversation with Mr. de la Renta, and his son-in-law and CEO, Alex Bolen.
WSJ: Most people don't know that you sing and have privately released a CD of your wife's favorite songs.
Mr. de la Renta: If you want to punish your ears, play it. One of my closest friends is Julio Iglesias. We have houses next to each other . Sometimes when he is sunbathing on the beach I go to his studio, and I record.

WSJ
: How has the industry changed in the past four decades?
Mr. de la Renta: We show much smaller collections. Then, if I made 150 dresses, we would show 150 dresses, and we would show it on six models. They would have to do their own makeup. Bring their own shoes. Today the business has tremendously changed.
Competition is so much bigger now. We have become a global business. You are not dealing only with your competitor locally. Our big competition comes from European designers and not from American designers.
When I started working back in the mid-'50s, the extremely talented designers were designing clothes for a very, very tiny segment of the population. So these were people designing custom-made clothes for the very privileged. Today that business is almost non-existent. Today the designers are designing for the masses.
There is a luxury ready-to-wear business has replaced that business of that woman going five times to fit one dress at a fashion house. Today a woman doesn't have that kind of time to do that.
WSJ: How has your strategy changed?
Mr. de la Renta: I think my challenge is really to understand that woman, to understand what her needs are. Today there is no loyalty among the consumers. When I started my fashion career, a woman would dress in a specific [design] house year in and year out. She always went to that house to buy her clothes for the season. Today no one buys that way.
You buy clothes that you hope are going to have a long life, and then you discard them when you feel that you have outlived them, or that you want something else.
What is most important to a woman today isn't saying this is so-and-so's clothes but projecting her own sense of individuality. I think with the clothes that I create, I am helping that woman. I am giving her choices.
WSJ: What accounted for your relatively quick rise as a designer in New York?
Mr. de la Renta: I started my own line totally sort of by accident.
I came to the United States because I felt the great future of fashion was not haute couture. It was ready-to-wear. A friend advised me that at [Elizabeth] Arden I would make a name for myself much faster than elsewhere because Arden hadn't identified herself as a designer. I tried to convince her that she should go into a ready-to-wear business. I said, 'You are selling your beauty products to the stores. Why not sell clothes with your name?' She asked me to explore the idea. I started to work on the project.
By the time I had put everything together, she had changed her mind. She was already over 80 years old. And then the people that I had come to, to try to organize the business here on Seventh Avenue, when I came back to tell her that Miss Arden had changed her mind, they said to me we are not interested in Elizabeth Arden, we are interested in you. So there was an existing house. In 1967, I won my first Coty (American Fashion Critics') Award. Then in 1968 I won the Coty Award again. So I very quickly made for myself a name.
At that time, I thought I was very famous. But it took me more time to realize that it takes many more years to become famous.
WSJ: Do you often look back at your work from previous eras?
Mr. de la Renta: I never really kept any of my clothes until recently. Now we are trying to build up our archives. Sometimes you look at a dress and you say, 'Oh goodness, this looks great.' And sometimes you say, 'Oh my goodness, so horrible.' So it works both ways.
WSJ: Fashion is so much more complicated today than it was in the past. How do you stay close your customers?
Mr. de la Renta: I would say that probably 20, 30 years ago I personally knew 90% of the people who were buying my clothes, because I traveled through the country. One mistake that a lot of designers, especially European designers coming to this country, make is that they come to New York and they think that New York is the United States. But New York is a very different market. I have the experience, I have traveled back and forth through this country for many, many years. Once you cross the Hudson River you are in a completely different country. And you are addressing a completely different consumer.
Today I may know 10% of them. Today I see masses and masses of women, in photographs, at parties, wearing my clothes. And I don't know who they are. If I see someone wearing my dress, I say, 'My goodness. You have such a beautiful dress. Thank you for wearing it.'
I have a group of very talented designers working with me. You have to be lucky to find them. When I am designing clothes I work really with creative people. And we are working in the studio today. And I always turn to my assistants and I say, tell me, Who is going to wear that and when? After that, they calm down, and start looking at things in a different way.
That's the most important thing. Because you know, despite your publicity, what is going to make it for you is the fact that there is a consumer that wants to buy what you are making. That's what is important.
WSJ: Today (Dec. 3), you will have your fourth and final ready-to-wear runway show of the year, to show your "pre-fall" collection of new looks. What role does the "pre-fall" collection play in your business today?
Mr. de la Renta: Because we ourselves are in the retail business, we have to supply the merchandise to our stores constantly. Today, you cannot rely just on two major collections. So obviously people tend to think that spring collection and the fall collection are the two most important collections. We think that all four collections (including pre-fall and resort) are extremely important. And we put the same kind of effort in every collection. No question about it.
Mr. Bolen: One of the great things about this business is Oscar has his staff back here and can change stuff up until the last minute. So we never know what is going to happen. Until Oscar puts it on the runway, it can always change.
Mr. de la Renta: Unfortunately for me my best work is panic times.
WSJ: When does the pre-show panic start?
Mr. de la Renta: When you almost have no time to change things around.
WSJ: The luxury business has been strong in recent years. How has Oscar De La Renta benefited from that strength?
Mr. de la Renta: There is so much money in this country. And women love clothes. Women like to dress regardless of age. That's exciting.
WSJ: Any sign of the luxury boom ending?
Mr. de la Renta: No.
WSJ: Where do you expect your business to be five years from now?
Mr. Bolen: I think if I have done a good job, in five years Oscar is here working harder than ever doing all the things he is doing now and all the other things that we want to do. I think one of the things that I hope that I am doing a good job at is keeping him excited about all the things we are doing here. Because as long as I keep him focused on things, we are going to make beautiful clothes that people will want to buy. And we will have a successful business.
WSJ: Has Oscar de La Renta pared back its licensing over the years?
Mr. Bolen: Licensing is something that is very valid for us, but that has to be approached with caution. It is probably true that we have fewer licensees today than we have had in the past. But I also think that we've really approached licensing a different way, with a greater focus on where we are at now, which is design.
We take all of those partnerships very seriously. It is very clear to me, you do give up some control when you enter a license arrangement, regardless of how you structure the partnership. And for a business that is an intellectual property business, this is a dangerous thing, to give up control. You get into dangerous territory.
I think that for the foreseeable future, licensing will be an important part of our business. But we have to have to approach it in a different way. New licenses will be approached not from the perspective on income, but, are they strategic? Do they add to our business? Are they part of the overall brand? Does it make sense for where we want the business to be? We might be able license the name to a tobacco product in Eastern Europe or something. And that is not something that would make sense to our business or our brand.
WSJ: What is your vision for the O Oscar brand?
Mr. Bolen: O Oscar is in women's sportswear, women's shoes, women's handbags, men's tailored clothing, men's dress shirts, men's ties. All of these categories we pursue under license arrangements with a variety of partners, which in some cases are public companies like Kellwood. I am uncomfortable disclosing a lot of their detailed financial data.
But what I will tell you is in the case of women's sportswear, we are in the 150 best Macy's stores. And we would over time to try to expand that to include not only the A doors but the B doors and they have as many as 450 B doors. That's down the road.
O Oscar originally started with Kellwood as a 'good' (lower-price-point) brand. And we relaunched it earlier this year as a 'better' (higher-price point) brand. And so clearly we got off to a false start. What I would say is while the modern customer is a very large slice of the apparel market here in the U.S., it is a segment that is very interested in designer labels. We underestimated the power profitability wise of private brands. So at a place like Macy's Inc., what is most important is their vertical (private label) brands. They are doing the designing and manufacturing and distributing of those brands. So to take away that space (in the store) is difficult.
(With O Oscar), I think Oscar would say, we are designing in the way that he wanted to design given the price restrictions. I think the results have been good so far. But we would like to be doing better. These are sort of the early days, on the better segment. But we are hoping to, again, with Kellwood and Macy's, triple the number of stores we are with right now.
WSJ: How do you ensure your advertising reflects your aesthetic?
Mr. Bolen: For the past five seasons, we have hired (British fashion photographer) Craig McDean. We think that Craig has a really good understanding at this point of what Oscar is about, what our brand is about. And we are very pleased with what he has done.
Mr. de la Renta: For the first time, we will begin running ads that use two models instead of just one. That makes the production much more expensive.
Mr. Bolen: There is clearly a correlation between more advertising and more sales. The value of that extra dollar in advertising into our business is hard to tell. It is something we continually tinker with and discuss. Should we do more in this magazine? More overall? We are not perfect. We think we are getting better. We are pleased so far.

photos from wsj.com
OB-AU591_oscar__20071127163229.jpg

Hillary Rodham Clinton wore a de la Renta embroidered tulle gown with matching cape to the 1997 inaugural balls. Here she is, pictured with Bill Clinton at the New England Ball.
OB-AU530_oscar__20071126123351.jpg

Sarah Jessica Parker wore this strapless ivory dress to the June 2003 Council of Fashion Design Awards in New York.​

I've always said that I like him much more than his clothes. He seems to really know what he's doing. Sure he's not revolutionary, but he does make his women look great....you can't really deny that.

^^I agree,and he does seem like a true class act.

Very good read,thanks for posting Lucy.

Great read, thank you! It was really interesting. He's very good at what he does.

This is probably redundant given the number of people who have already said something like it but...Interesting read, thanks for posting Lucy!

Educational read. The only thing I wish they'd consider doing is bringing back the bridge line, which was prominent earlier this decade. I have some of those pieces. I wasn't too impressed with the previous O Oscar incarnation a couple of years ago -- too much polyester charmeuse, which is just :yuk:. With global production, you can have decent silk at reasonable prices.

i think that the o oscar line is dreadful. there's no real "design" to it. its hopelessly blah.

why is he still fashionable?
because he stayed true to himself!

:heart:

i love oscar. I met him once when i was little back in dominican republic, when i used to live there and wanted to go to the parsons school in altos de chavon.

He is one of the very few that are left of the great designers. :cry:

Really a fascinating article, especially for the light it sheds on the fashion industry and how it operates. His points about present female attitudes toward fashion are especially illuminating. The return of the feminine is a great boost to the fashion industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aza
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->