Yves Saint Laurent to return to couture

the sad thing about the details from SLP RTW is that such gorgeous detailing is totally lost on awful looks

Given how much money he has made them since taking over, it just seems like a smart business move, but i doubt he has anything major to offer when it comes to HC.

I wonder what's the point of doing an Haute Couture line when the visibility is almost non-existent, except for being showcased in yet another sleek black/white photo shoot by Slimane (that is much more heavy capturing atmosphere than really showing any much of the actual clothing)?

I wonder what's the point of doing an Haute Couture line when the visibility is almost non-existent, except for being showcased in yet another sleek black/white photo shoot by Slimane (that is much more heavy capturing atmosphere than really showing any much of the actual clothing)?

Because, I think, like all their other labels, they aren't doing it for prestige or for marketing but because they actually expect to do a business with it

^^
Yes, actually couture is selling quite well and most of the major couture houses are profitable.
I feel like Saint Laurent is the laboratory of Kering. If this "couture" thing is working, i'm pretty sure they will revamp Gucci Premiere in a much more harder way.

Because, I think, like all their other labels, they aren't doing it for prestige or for marketing but because they actually expect to do a business with it

Yes, but how do you make a real business out of couture if you don't let the big spenders of couture buy but keep it only as a means to dress Hedi's illustrous friends for the red carpet or rock shows, in which case the clothes will be made purely for the sake of publicity? The houses that actually have a profitable couture business, like Chanel, Dior or Elie Saab, actually do sell clothes to real-life customers.

But perhaps this is just a transitioning period in which they keep it secretive and more-exclusive-than-exclusive than the other houses before opening up to the real couture market.

Yes, but how do you make a real business out of couture if you don't let the big spenders of couture buy but keep it only as a means to dress Hedi's illustrous friends for the red carpet or rock shows, in which case the clothes will be made purely for the sake of publicity? The houses that actually have a profitable couture business, like Chanel, Dior or Elie Saab, actually do sell clothes to real-life customers.

But perhaps this is just a transitioning period in which they keep it secretive and more-exclusive-than-exclusive than the other houses before opening up to the real couture market.

I think it's about drumming up desire. How do you make something exclusive that 99.9 percent of the world is already priced out of? You tell even the rich they can't have it. That's how you launch a couture house.

I find this sort of silly and done already. In fact, every fashion house does it. It's giving a different name to custom Saint Laurent. OK. Not a big deal.

I'd prefer a show... But Hedi always does the same thing so with rtw shows it's enough I guess.

What ended up happening with this project? They had everything ready to go, with all the ateliers set up, the space to receive clients, and even the label! I'm very curious if this project will continue.

Saint Laurent / Kering just leased the original Haute Couture space on 30 bis Rue Spontini in Paris where Yves installed his original HC salon, so there is some hope!

original.jpeg
VOGUE UK

What ended up happening with this project? They had everything ready to go, with all the ateliers set up, the space to receive clients, and even the label! I'm very curious if this project will continue.

Saint Laurent / Kering just leased the original Haute Couture space on 30 bis Rue Spontini in Paris where Yves installed his original HC salon, so there is some hope!

View attachment 1225029
VOGUE UK

I think this was a Hedi Slimane project more than a Kering-Saint Laurent project so once he left the maison this plan went poof into the thin air…

Would be interesting if Kering decides to restart this since LVMH has an active (Dior) and a sleeping (Givenchy) HC label and Kering only has… like a half-f**ked one and ever since the Balenciaga saga…

I thought the PB-YSL Foundation owned the rights to the couture business still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waldzios
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->