The Pretension Of Yves Saint Laurent

source:
Arrivederci, Gucci
Lynn Hirschberg. New York Times Magazine. New York: Mar 14, 2004. p. 54 (4 pages)

Originally posted by Erzébeth@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:23 am
source:
Arrivederci, Gucci
Lynn Hirschberg. New York Times Magazine. New York: Mar 14, 2004. p. 54 (4 pages)
aaagh--frantically looking through recycle pile...maybe i can find it online... :flower:

Originally posted by Erzébeth@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:02 am
I received nasty letters from him, and they were pretty constant. They were sort of vicious."

-tom ford
OMG this is hilarious...a 60-something flaming ol' queen incessantly sending angry bitchy little notes to his successor?

Apparently Monsieur Saint Laurent wasn't stuck in the 60's....he's stuck in his kindergarten days. :lol:

Back on topic, I've always liked Alber Elbaz's work at YSL Rive Gauche. His style worked particularly well for the house at that particular time because I think there's an aesthetic similarity between it and Hedi Slimane's designs at the menswear department, and subsequently Rive Gauche finally had some coherence that was sorely lacking before.

While I'm happy for him that he's given free rein to revive Lanvin, I can't help but think that we'd have the ultimate dream team if he took over Dior womenswear from Galliano. Galliano has just about hit the bottom of the barrell as far as design goes, and if LVMH had an ounce of sense left in them they should replace him before any further damage is done to the venerable house of Dior. And who'd be a better successor than Elbaz? At least finally the brand would have a coherent aesthetic, instead of a few seperate, non-communicating departments schizophrenically grouped under the same brand name.

Originally posted by Orochian+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 10:29 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orochian @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 10:29 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Erzébeth@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:02 am
I received nasty letters from him, and they were pretty constant. They were sort of vicious."

-tom ford
OMG this is hilarious...a 60-something flaming ol' queen incessantly sending angry bitchy little notes to his successor?

[/b][/quote]
i seriously dont believe that Yves would ever sent any kind of 'vicious' letters to TF.. just because TF would certainly use them against him

if the letters exist , he should make them public, this kind of silly accusations saw the 'level' of TF in plain light , he cannot throw dirt like this :angry:

the guy is a joke :P

Originally posted by Lena+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:49 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 4:49 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Orochian@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 10:29 am
<!--QuoteBegin-Erzébeth
@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:02 am

-tom ford

i seriously dont believe that Yves would ever sent any kind of 'vicious' letters to TF.. just because TF would certainly use them against him

if the letters exist , he should make them public, this kind of silly accusations saw the 'level' of TF in plain light , he cannot throw dirt like this :angry:

the guy is a joke :P [/b][/quote]
lena-do you really think people make up stuff like this... i mean, i know it's a dirty business, but to just make stuff up...isn't that borderline looney tunes... :wacko: at the very least it's mean...that's why i've always said...people in hollywood may be crazy...but in fashion...people are crazy and mean... :angry: :yuk:

anyway...my opinions are based on the clothes themselves...none of these other shenanigans affects my opinion in the least... :innocent:

yes i certainly believe TF is making up false accusations,
and it does not even come as a surprise to me that Ford would fall so low :rolleyes:
Yves would know that IF there were nasty letters TF would bring them up at one point or the other

it just shows where TF comes from, i wish him good luck on his Hollywood trippin'
he certainly belongs there and should have stay there from the start, he brings fashion business level very low, its almost predictable he would turn bitter and uncivilised as long as his Gucci contract was over, start throwing dirt left and right

They said that the s..t would hit the fan , once TF's contract came to an end , but I think he's jumped the gun and started BEFORE the end of April , in creating this unpleasant atmosphere , with these unfounded accusations . :yuk:

As they say , ' ALL publicity is good publicity ' and perhaps TF wants to make that ultimate splash in Hollywood with this ' petit scandale ' !!! :wink:

KIT :innocent:

i don't even want to think about it...i'm so sick of tom ford already... :flower:

this is all my opinion of course, but i believe tom for some reason. YSL has after all made some biting comments publicly to tom 'the poor thing, he does what he can' which i intepret as catty/snide and patronising.. that's why i think it's true..

i u/l the article for you in pdf here :flower:

Maybe YSL tried to get Tom into bed or something...I mean, come on, it's hard to resist Tom with his shirt opened all the way to reveal his strong, slick chest hairs, very Texas, very Texas.

Originally posted by datura001@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 5:57 am
Maybe YSL tried to get Tom into bed or something...I mean, come on, it's hard to resist Tom with his shirt opened all the way to reveal his strong, slick chest hairs, very Texas, very Texas.
:brows: ... :lol:

Originally posted by datura001@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 11:57 am
I mean, come on, it's hard to resist Tom with his shirt opened all the way to reveal his strong, slick chest hairs, very Texas, very Texas.
:blink: ewwwwwkiiii, i dont find him sexy at all :sick:

As they say , ' ALL publicity is good publicity ' and perhaps TF wants to make that ultimate splash in Hollywood with this ' petit scandale ' !!!

hype with no substance and constant press (much more bad press)
is irrelevant and can be quite very tiring :rolleyes:
he should get over it, he's not a Gucci artistic director anymore, caput, finished, c'est fini .. au revoir Tommy from texas :P

some substance please :innocent:

this conversation sometimes borders on the absurd...first of all, not saying that the new york times hasn't had some difficulties with matters of the truth in the past year, but putting that aside for a second, anyone in journalism knows that you can't simply make a statement without some truth or corroboration, or you might get sued. if these letters were false and do not exist, i am quite sure that ysl, the man, himself, can stand up and defend his name and sue tom ford for slander, which given the date of the story, has not happened and probably will not happen, i know you guys have a grand respect and love for ysl but to demonize tom ford really is not the way to draw attention to the true glory of ysl...do you think?

i think it was petty for ysl to issue his first statement -- insinuating that tom ford had no interest in developing a relationship with the original work and with the original master of yves saint laurent -- therefore it's rational that tom ford defend himself in this battle being played out in the press. i just can wait to see what batty rebuttal ysl is going to come up with next (and i'm sure it will continue, simply to keep some attention on ysl, which needs all the publicity it can get without it's star, tom ford)

Originally posted by Erzébeth@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 2:02 am
apparently tom ford tried to be friendly with YSL but he blew him off:

"It was difficult from the start. I made a real effort with YSL himself at the beginning. I had a foolish idea that we would get along... and that he would be happy. I included him in the beginning, but very quickly, he turned on me. I received nasty letters from him, and they were pretty constant. They were sort of vicious."

-tom ford
I bet the notes were nothing more than "When I was your whippersnapper age, this is how we did couture, baby." :P

*Thinks of an eldery YSL shaking his bony finger at a scowling teenage Tom Ford*

Seriously though, Tom Ford's shows were always enjoyable and his clothing decent. It's a bit difficult to take the reigns of a company for which a genius designed over a long period of time- for nearly 40 years! YSL is already a bit of a daunting task; Now imagine having only a few years to have the same impact that YSL had upon the fashion world.

I think it was odd of Tom Ford to not visit the archives. That strikes me as very strange....

Originally posted by mikeijames@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 9:41 am
this conversation sometimes borders on the absurd...first of all, not saying that the new york times hasn't had some difficulties with matters of the truth in the past year, but putting that aside for a second, anyone in journalism knows that you can't simply make a statement without some truth or corroboration, or you might get sued. if these letters were false and do not exist, i am quite sure that ysl, the man, himself, can stand up and defend his name and sue tom ford for slander, which given the date of the story, has not happened and probably will not happen, i know you guys have a grand respect and love for ysl but to demonize tom ford really is not the way to draw attention to the true glory of ysl...do you think?

i think it was petty for ysl to issue his first statement -- insinuating that tom ford had no interest in developing a relationship with the original work and with the original master of yves saint laurent -- therefore it's rational that tom ford defend himself in this battle being played out in the press. i just can wait to see what batty rebuttal ysl is going to come up with next (and i'm sure it will continue, simply to keep some attention on ysl, which needs all the publicity it can get without it's star, tom ford)
I totally agree with you, bravo! :flower: I found myself wondering a few things after I read the article and then this thread. First would be, what does Tom have to gain from making these accusations? The only remote possibility would be publicity and let's face it, his last two shows garnered so much publicity on their own, he wouldn't even need it. Second, I was thinking that, Yves has been berating Tom in interviews, comments, etc for such a while now, and for a very long time, Tom really didn't say anything, at least nothing negative about Yves. I think that's why I believe him in saying Yves sent him nasty notes. After reading some of the things he's said, it wouldn't surprise me. Genious or not, Yves seems like quite the bitchy diva, so I wouldn't put it past him :innocent: . I would just like to say, it's about f**king time Tom said something regarding Yves' immature behavior, you can only be a gentleman for so long.

I guess now, we'll just have to wait and see what transpires. The suspense is killing me!

On another note, I have found myself wondering for a while now, does anybody think that perhaps Yves has been so vocal about his disdain for TF in order to remain intanct in fashion? I mean, he's no longer designing or having anything to do with his company, so at this point the only thing he has is his legacy. I just can't help but wonder if he has done all of his whining to stay in the spotlight.

Originally posted by Spike413@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 9:36 pm
. First would be, what does Tom have to gain from making these accusations? The only remote possibility would be publicity and let's face it, his last two shows garnered so much publicity on their own, he wouldn't even need it.
Yves has been so vocal about his disdain for TF in order to remain intanct in fashion? I mean, he's no longer designing or having anything to do with his company, so at this point the only thing he has is his legacy. I just can't help but wonder if he has done all of his whining to stay in the spotlight.
but.. you answered your own question spike,
TF is a press/publicity junkie,
its only too obvious that no Press exposure is enough for him

as for Yves Saint Laurent, of course he's not designing -he designed enough to shape modern style for years to last him for a lifetime , remember he was very succesful as a head designer at Dior before opening his own house - and believe me, he does not care for publicity or need any, he's one of the hardest people to interview in the industry, he's extremely personal and lives completly in 'his own world' ..which is hardly the case -with also x-designer- TF :flower:

if it wasnt for Berger, Yves would be living in a medina in Marocco since the 70s he really doesnt care that much , but i guess you need to read some of his rare interviews and maybe study a bit his 'history' since you seem so much interested in ysl :wink:

Originally posted by Lena+Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:52 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lena @ Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:52 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Spike413@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 9:36 pm
. First would be, what does Tom have to gain from making these accusations? The only remote possibility would be publicity and let's face it, his last two shows garnered so much publicity on their own, he wouldn't even need it.
Yves has been so vocal about his disdain for TF in order to remain intanct in fashion? I mean, he's no longer designing or having anything to do with his company, so at this point the only thing he has is his legacy. I just can't help but wonder if he has done all of his whining to stay in the spotlight.

as for Yves Saint Laurent, of course he's not designing -he designed enough to shape modern style for years to last him for a lifetime , remember he was very succesful as a head designer at Dior before opening his own house - and believe me, he does not care for publicity or need any, he's one of the hardest people to interview in the industry, he's extremely personal and lives completly in 'his own world' ..which is hardly the case -with also x-designer- TF :flower:

if it wasnt for Berger, Yves would be living in a medina in Marocco since the 70s he really doesnt care that much , but i guess you need to read some of his rare interviews and maybe study a bit his 'history' since you seem so much interested in ysl :wink: [/b][/quote]
See, but that's why I find myself wondering. If he lives a relativly private life, why did he seem to go out of his way to make sure his feelings toward Tom were known? Even though Tom is what many would call a media darling of sorts, most of his publicity wasn't self imposed. It came naturally, as did Yves when he was still designing. I dunno, it just seems like his comments about Tom were kind of saying "Well, I am YSL and TF is definitly not contributing to fashion what I once did" you know, sort of reminding the world that he is Yves Saint Laurent, master couturier........even if it isn't necessary.
Ah who knows, it has been said there is a fine line between genius and insanity.....Yves kinda proves that true :wacko:

Originally posted by Lena@Mar 22nd, 2004 - 3:52 pm
so lena, by your logic, because ysl is a reclusive, brooding, artful genius it's impossible for him to start this catfight-like bout in the press, but because tom ford is a celebrity designer, anything he says is false? do you apply this same standard to every other modern celebrity designer or is it just tom ford? what irks you so about him and not, say, donna karan, calvin klein, michael kors, marc jacobs, john galliano, all who have larger than life celebrity personas and are buddy buddy with all of the right celebrities??

and what was tom ford SUPPOSED to say when posed the question in light of recent events...if he would have said nothing, you would have used that as proof that tom ford refused to seek out a relationship with ysl and his archives, but since he has now said he's tried, you write it off as lies...i would love to know why people harbor such hatred for tom ford when he essentially does the same thing as most big name designers of our day. (bc i am sure karl lagerfeld's dramatic weight-loss and his embracing of hedi slimane at dior homme and his canoodling with brad koenig were all things he did to shun the press, right?)

and by the way, why has ysl not just sank back and moved into seclusion? he's obviously starved for attention in some way...and i know you remember ysl's grand departure collection...i think he was more self-congratulatory than tom ford was...or am i wrong?

so lena, by your logic, because ysl is a reclusive, brooding, artful genius it's impossible for him to start this catfight-like bout in the press, but because tom ford is a celebrity designer, anything he says is false?

:blink: how in the world did you came to that conclusion?

i have nothing against celebrity designers, i just dont believe Yves Saint Laurent would ever send nasty letters to TF , thats all.

its only my personal view and i feel its ok to post it in this thread, excuses for making everybody so upset :( :ninja:

everyone keeps bringing up chanel and dior...asking why do you just hate tom ford...why not galliano and lagerfeld...hey ...catch up...we don't like them either...calvin klein is retired, oops!...donna karan hangs out with barbra streisand...i would hardly call that courting celebrities...(has beens , maybe)...marc jacobs?...he's essentially the younger brother of tom ford...don't like him either...michael kors...you can't dislike him too much, because you have to feel sorry for him , in a way...let's see who else did you bring up mikeijames...oh, i think that's it... i hope that answers the question once and for all and we don't have to read it in some rearranged version again...

oh..scratch the we's and make them i's...i really shouldn't answer for lena...she is quite capable of speaking for herself... :heart:

one more thing---that last show of ysl's was proof that he needed to retire... :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJS33
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"