Yves Saint Laurent to return to couture

crfashionbook.com/book/saintlaurent-couture/

Here's a lookbook in case anyone wants to see

"Yves Saint Laurent to return to couture"... for half a second, it made me remember the man himself. Seems a world away now.

I'm looking forward to it LOL

Besides Galliano for Maison Margiela, Hedi for Yvews Saint Laurent HC is a much needed injection of modern attitude, freshness and a great alternative to the stuffy, overwrought crap that's infested HC for me. I mean, good for you if you can afford Dolce's outdated, fuddy-duddy Scarlet O'hara tackiness-- or even prefer it. But I'm just more drawn to Hedi's idea of dressing in general.

Now, his whole branding make sense. Yves Saint Laurent which used to be the name of the RTW before Hedi will be now the name of his "Couture" line. Simple as that.
The original Yves Saint Laurent Couture will remain closed. Pierre Bergé own that.
But it is a clever move from Hedi.
I wonder if Tom and him are spending time together because this whole "hand-picked by the designer" reminds me of Tom's "I only dress one woman per event".

Every major designer is doing his own "couture" line. I bet this will be more successful than Gucci Première.

Here are some of his Couture designs for Yves Saint Laurent (they weren't labelled until now:(
Julianne+Moore+Arrivals+Critics+Choice+Movie+g113qzLLzZEl.jpg
Interstellar+European+Premiere+Red+Carpet+6GLe1Z0BxZul.jpg
Dakota+Johnson+Fifty+Shades+Grey+UK+Premiere+hZQS8dY6-X3l.jpg
Dakota+Johnson+Arrivals+87th+Annual+Academy+TIsTx5Izh4gl.jpg
Sophie+Marceau+Shan+Gu+Ren+Premiere+68th+Annual+mubCmayc3aEl.jpg
Margot+Robbie+Arrivals+87th+Annual+Academy+KaqR1o3zC5ql.jpg

zimbio

I was scared Hedi was gonna serve more of that mess he's giving us right now, but the HC looks optimistic.

I don't have high expectations for this at all. -_-

isn't that dress on rita ora from his first collection at saint laurent?

anyway, it's better than the mess he delivers in rtw, but it's as bland as gucci premiere (or even less, to be honest)

I'm quite excited about Hedi Slimane reintroducing YSL couture, it looks like it will be a continuation though of what Saint Laurent already includes in the ready-to-wear, when they highlight pieces as 'couture', from the images so far it looks good, very classic. Though as it won't be on the official schedule and Hedi is deciding who can and can't purchase/wear the pieces, it is apparently only for friends of the house, I'm not sure my initial reaction was justified. One things that is interesting is Hedi brought back the 'Yves' for the couture line. I am intrigued to see how this pans out.

In my opinion, I don’t think it will be a continuation of Saint Laurent Paris. I think it will be as once it was: The branded RTW label channeling the urban subculture lifestyle and the official house cultivating a more classic and elitist vision.

I'm looking forward to it LOL

Besides Galliano for Maison Margiela, Hedi for Yvews Saint Laurent HC is a much needed injection of modern attitude, freshness and a great alternative to the stuffy, overwrought crap that's infested HC for me. I mean, good for you if you can afford Dolce's outdated, fuddy-duddy Scarlet O'hara tackiness-- or even prefer it. But I'm just more drawn to Hedi's idea of dressing in general.

This is why I’ve been rooting for the revival of YSL Couture under Slimane’s direction since He said something about this in 2013 (or 2012 ? I don’t remember exactly). You can argue that He gets redundant and repetitive but his vision never blends with the rest and has kept a certain level of authenticity through these years.

Also, I think some people need to tone down their expectations. Couture definitely is a place where a designer can create and make his/her imagination fly but YSL never did a crazy experimentation in bizarre fabrics and insane shapes. He wasn’t Balenciaga nor Vionnet.

isn't that dress on rita ora from his first collection at saint laurent?
It's Margot Robbie and it was custom made for the OSCARS in January.

In my opinion, I don’t think it will be a continuation of Saint Laurent Paris. I think it will be as once it was: The branded RTW label channeling the urban subculture lifestyle and the official house cultivating a more classic and elitist vision.

This is why I’ve been rooting for the revival of YSL Couture under Slimane’s direction since He said something about this in 2013 (or 2012 ? I don’t remember exactly). You can argue that He gets redundant and repetitive but his vision never blends with the rest and has kept a certain level of authenticity through these years.

Also, I think some people need to tone down their expectations. Couture definitely is a place where a designer can create and make his/her imagination fly but YSL never did a crazy experimentation in bizarre fabrics and insane shapes. He wasn’t Balenciaga nor Vionnet.

He did. The knit russian doll wedding dress, the african dresses from 1967 with the conical breasts, the Lalanne dresses from 1969. Even if those experimentation are not crazy or insane, they are part of the house DNA. YSL at his prime wasn't just about sex and decadence.

Last edited by a moderator:
He did. The knit russian doll wedding dress, the african dresses from 1967 with the conical breasts, the Lalanne dresses from 1969. Even if those experimentation are not crazy or insane, they are part of the house DNA. YSL at his prime wasn't just about sex and decadence.

That’s what I meant; He never did an experimentation in a transgressive way, bordering on avant-garde. Not that He never did it.

So based on the previews, he won't be breaking any boundaries. It's just the same super skinny Le Smoking plus a few evening gowns that look sort of dated. Pass.

But to be honest, when was the last time someone broke boundaries in Haute Couture? Better question, does it need to? Couture these days (more than ever) is nothing more than gowns for billionaire wives and red-carpets. This dream of Couture as a fairytale and laboratory is over. I would rather see experimentation on RTW collections, feels much more relevant.

Oh God no! You might as well cut the "Yves" out of the name from now, Hedi might just as well massacre everything else that the house has built now.

If we really take a close look at details, a lot of his past RTW pieces have so much work done to it, hand-painting fabrics and tons of hand-embroidery pieces over rich fabrics. So it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

style

Its going to be some Vegas hooker dresses and skinny sequined smoking suits. The end.

#EPICFAIL

I love the work of Heidi, I don't know why,
his work has "je ne sais quoi"
I think his Couture will be interesting to see and enjoy.
If you see what Raf made with Dior, there's nothing worse Heidi could do.

I love the detail shots, but looking at the full-on garment it seems like a waste to do all that work on something so basic

The revival(?) of YSL's couture line and the exclusivity of access to buy/wear any of the pieces included under the label will definitely elevate the YSL brand as whole in many people's eyes, especially those who only really care about buying the brand name of YSL as opposed to those who stop to critically think about whether they would still like the clothing if the label was removed or by someone else. Those who are desperate to own whatever they can get from a brand that caters to an exclusive few is definitely going to help push sales of YSL in all their departments, and at the end of the day, this is what companies are gunning for. (It also makes me wonder how hard some celebrities might push to convince Hedi of their worth in order for him to dress them :stuart: )

With profits for the label being as it is right now, obviously Slimane has demonstrated to superiors that he understands what people 'want' (even if it's mixed reviews here at tfs :lol: ) and for his efforts they're giving him a substantial amount of free reign to come up with something er...next-level Hedi-esque.

Despite only a small percentage of pieces appealing to me in every collection presented so far, I know most likely I will never be able to afford any clothing from Saint Laurent. Still, I can't help but admire (especially from those detail shots) just how much effort is being put into his RTW creations, and I'm intrigued to see what Hedi's first couture collection for this house will be like in its entirety. For me, fashion isn't always about whether I like or dislike the clothes I see, but the ideas and attitudes that are being presented in how designers see the people they want to dress. We can definitely make assumptions from what we've seen being sent down the runway so far, but I definitely get a different vibe from the custom pieces I've seen on the red carpet; from the pictures (post #24) I think not only are the dresses modern and elegant but the dresses really compliment the actresses wearing the creations; on another it might not be the same, no matter how equally appealing they are in their own way. In that sense I think Hedi is heading down the right path in reserving the right to only dress those he wants. Kind of a win-win for him; helps drive up profit margins with his creations, but also gets to cement his reputation exactly the way he wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dolixx
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->