Ziyi Zhang

shambles said:
I think she has an elegant look, and that's what makes her beautiful. She looks more stunning with her hair pulled back (I agree those pictures of her in the pink top are not very flattering). Some small pics (from Yahoo) of her in 2046:

I :heart: the stills of Zhang from 2046. Beautiful.

She looks delicate, beautiful, and sophisticated here!

I also like these:

But she should NEVER wear her hair in a pixie-'do. This:

is :doh: :sick: so wrong...

Last edited by a moderator:
WKW brings out her best. I love the elegance of WKW movies: the make-up, clothing, and big hair :smile:
2046_04.jpg

wkw.jpg

new3.jpg

new2.jpg

Speedgracer, please put a space inbetween each of the individual photo links so they won't string across and cause the page to go wonky.
If you insert a space in between, they will fall below each other.
I have had to fix your last few photo posts :flower:
And to keep your pictures up, you must credit the source. I will have to delete them otherwise.

Does anyone have the new Vogue pics of her scanned? They are beautiful but I don't have a scanner :blush:

I :heart: this shot!

(Although she has very good, even, fair skin, I'm not crazy about the large mole on the bottom of her cheek nor the smaller ones sprinkled elsewhere on her face. Minor quibbles, though.)

I know what you mean about WKW's period-pieces look. I too, adore WKW's "old-school throwback glamour" (I don't know that there's an equivalent to this in English because I'm thinking of the phrase in Mandarin), but I'm not fond of his movies in gen.

Galviggo, photo-quoting isn't allowed here and in the above post, is unnecessary:wink: Next time, please just give the post number as reference:flower:

I can't see any of the pics ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

why~~~!!

Maybe try refreshing your screen Alien dog?
Do you mean the ones on the front page or on this page?

cookymonster said:
People keeping on saying stuff like "she's not pretty, there are many other asian/chinese girls much prettier." I noticed people are saying this in other threads too, like in Katie Leung's and in other asian models. Why are people so judgemental when it comes to asian females? Gah! Being an asian-american girl myself, I have experienced mass criticism many a time first hand! It's sucks and it's incredibly hurtful. And if there are "prettier" asian girls than Zhang Ziyi, could someone give an example please? Like what UrbanSophistactd said, she is beautiful for a woman, not specifically a chinese woman. Overall though, race should never be a factor in beauty.
I completely agree :flower: :heart:

^ lol, me too, agree 100 %.
Zhang Ziyi is an absolutely beautiful and talented actress, no matter what. :smile:

i'm chinese, and i think she's absolutely beautiful

her complexion reminds me of the skin i USED to have :cry:

sterlinger said:
I find that many asians bully their own race. Why not stick together united? seriously, look at all the other races- you don't see them picking each other apart, instead they stand up for each other if someone says something negative about their own. stay together!

i find this to be very true. i live in NYC, where there are a lot of asians, and i find that there is a lot of jealousy and belittling between asian girls. it gets very ugly and beauty, or uglyness for that matter, is used as a weapon in arguments.

i have a lot of asian friends who think that zhang ziyi is "ugly" along with a lot of beautiful asian stars. i always tell them that they are being too harsh and to take into account that they are probably very beautiful in person. but nevermind in person, zhang ziyi is always beautiful!

kathyjeanc said:
i'm chinese, and i think she's absolutely beautiful

her complexion reminds me of the skin i USED to have :cry:
what's up with ur skin?:unsure:

:lol: nothing much, it's just that it used to be blemish-free and perfect. now that school's started, im more stressed and tend to eat a lot of junk food which = little pimples and cystic acne :blush:

kathyjeanc said:
:lol: nothing much, it's just that it used to be blemish-free and perfect. now that school's started, im more stressed and tend to eat a lot of junk food which = little pimples and cystic acne :blush:
Ah,now i see.:P

BTW,i've heard a lot that many asian who live abroad don't get along with each other.I've been to Europe twice,and i got the same feeling.:cry:

OK,back to the topic,here's a beauty shot of Ziyi.:wink:
1472446xf.jpg

sterlinger said:
I find that many asians bully their own race. Why not stick together united? seriously, look at all the other races- you don't see them picking each other apart, instead they stand up for each other if someone says something negative about their own. stay together!

I am an Asian, more specifically Chinese. I can't say that I'm very negative towards those of my own race because I grew up in a mainly non-Asian neighborhood. First of all, I do think Ziyi is pretty and can act but... I have seen many of her films along with those of other Asian actresses. It just gets on my (or our) nerves that she is getting all the recognition when other Chinese actresses, who have much more experience or/and much more talented than her are being overlooked. (My cousin who is much more fluent in Chinese than I and is a big fan of Chinese entertainment really dislikes her and most of her films.)

Another reason why some Asians don't like her is because they are more aware of her and her past. I do think "she was in the right place, at the right time" with her string of Asian-critically-awarded-recognized-films in the US. Americans only know her for her performances in the "Hero", "House of Flying Daggers", or the upcoming "Memoirs of a Geisha." Like others have posted, her reputation in Asia is baaad, but like here in the states you can't believe everything you read. BTW: I don't seek any of these Asian paparazzi footage/news, so if I can come by it, it is well known. You can definitely argue that she parties a lot and that she had relationships with Chinese pros in the industry, but I think that her sleeping her way to the top is a rumor (with grounds). On the other hand, Chinese tabloids are worst than America. (Paps would sneak into a room when a woman is taking a massage.)

A lot of people say she doesn't have any cultural values. Obviously, I don't know her well of enough if this is true, but I do think it is her goal to become more well-known in the states. Which by no means is a bad thing, though Chinese in China thinks of her as just being greedy. I do love the fact that through her Chinese cinema is getting more recognition. Asian films (House of Flying Daggers, 2046), directors (Wong Kar Wai, Ang Lee), and actors (Zhang, Li) are getting recognized a lot more nowadays. She was considered one of the most Influential People In America by Time magazine (if that means anything). Also, she did win some Hong Kong based film awards for 2046 as best actress.

Then again, you could also argue that China is a sexist, patricial society and considers her as "wild" and "greedy" but I don't like considering that as an arguement. (Though many use it when defending Zhang.)

If you want a more Chinese-oriented person's opinion about her, I would suggest you go to IMBD's message board on her. There are some very good arguements. My words in this post are kind of a response to both boards.

*Sorry for the long post. I thought that I should give some background into this topic since I'd hate leaving people thinking that all Asians hate each other. Also, sorry if I just made this arguement worst. Be gentle :blush:.*

LoveMyBoots said:
I am an Asian, more specifically Chinese. I can't say that I'm very negative towards those of my own race because I grew up in a mainly non-Asian neighborhood. First of all, I do think Ziyi is pretty and can act but... I have seen many of her films along with those of other Asian actresses. It just gets on my (or our) nerves that she is getting all the recognition when other Chinese actresses, who have much more experience or/and much more talented than her are being overlooked. (My cousin who is much more fluent in Chinese than I and is a big fan of Chinese entertainment really dislikes her and most of her films.)

Another reason why some Asians don't like her is because they are more aware of her and her past. I do think "she was in the right place, at the right time" with her string of Asian-critically-awarded-recognized-films in the US. Americans only know her for her performances in the "Hero", "House of Flying Daggers", or the upcoming "Memoirs of a Geisha." Like others have posted, her reputation in Asia is baaad, but like here in the states you can't believe everything you read. BTW: I don't seek any of these Asian paparazzi footage/news, so if I can come by it, it is well known. You can definitely argue that she parties a lot and that she had relationships with Chinese pros in the industry, but I think that her sleeping her way to the top is a rumor (with grounds). On the other hand, Chinese tabloids are worst than America. (Paps would sneak into a room when a woman is taking a massage.)

A lot of people say she doesn't have any cultural values. Obviously, I don't know her well of enough if this is true, but I do think it is her goal to become more well-known in the states. Which by no means is a bad thing, though Chinese in China thinks of her as just being greedy. I do love the fact that through her Chinese cinema is getting more recognition. Asian films (House of Flying Daggers, 2046), directors (Wong Kar Wai, Ang Lee), and actors (Zhang, Li) are getting recognized a lot more nowadays. She was considered one of the most Influential People In America by Time magazine (if that means anything). Also, she did win some Hong Kong based film awards for 2046 as best actress.

Then again, you could also argue that China is a sexist, patricial society and considers her as "wild" and "greedy" but I don't like considering that as an arguement. (Though many use it when defending Zhang.)

If you want a more Chinese-oriented person's opinion about her, I would suggest you go to IMBD's message board on her. There are some very good arguements. My words in this post are kind of a response to both boards.

*Sorry for the long post. I thought that I should give some background into this topic since I'd hate leaving people thinking that all Asians hate each other. Also, sorry if I just made this arguement worst. Be gentle :blush:.*

Great post.

Hollywood is a competitive place, and it's really hard for Asians to break through. You know how on Top Model Tyra says there's room for only one top black model, one top Asian model, etc.? I think it's sort of like that in movies now, unfortunately. ZZ is the top Chinese actress. Lucy Liu can be considered the top AA actress. I don't see why ZZ should be considered "greedy," however. That's sort of hypocritical. What if [insert popular Asian actress name] came to the States and made movies there successfully? Would she then be greedy, too? There may be lots of talented actresses who deserve just as much fame as ZZ, but if they achieve that fame, will their Chinese audience turn its back on them, saying they're greedy for going to the States and being successful? Double-edge sword. Villify one actress for getting coveted roles and not being as deserving as others. But if anyone else does, too, I bet they would get a lot of the same hate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->