• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Advice: Education & Career Goals (PLEASE READ POST #1 BEFORE POSTING)

fashionicon said:
I agree, school will always be there. And if your major is design related then school's really not that important. From what I gathered, having a degree is just a certificate that proves you finished school and nothing more.

I have to disagree. What if this job doesn't work out (in terms of leading to another position)? It's always nice to have a backup plan - in this case, a degree - if something goes unexpectedly. Also, a degree is very important in certain situations; it can mean the difference between getting the job or not.

I have to disagree. What if this job doesn't work out (in terms of leading to another position)? It's always nice to have a backup plan - in this case, a degree - if something goes unexpectedly. Also, a degree is very important in certain situations; it can mean the difference between getting the job or not.

If the job does not work out, then school will always be there. That's what's so great about the school system. My parents went back to school when they were 40. There's no rush to finish school.

Also, if the job does not work out, then there is still a chance to network and make connections. I have made amazing connections through the people I intern for, as well as the other interns working here, and I'm only halfway into the internship.

A degree in fashion is only needed if you wanted to teach on the subject. There are plenty of designers/stylists who are self-taught in the business who have done very well for themselves- (Roland Mouret, Tommy Hillfiger, Paul Smith, other designers listed by other posters). I doubt one would turn down the next John Galliano/Alexander McQueen just because they didn't have a degree.

Why do you think it's so important and might I add required at some schools, to have industry experience/an internship before graduating? It really does no good to have a degree if you don't know, firsthand, how the industry operates.

There's really no reason why you shouldn't take the job.:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Didn't TheKiwi want a degree in film, though?

Regardless, I would finish college. Then again, I've always been education first (not to mention, paranoid about the what-ifs).

Take the career opportunity. If you don't, it will always be in the back of mind, saying-- what if I took the job? What could I be doing now? School will always be there, but this job is once in a lifetime!

Agreed.

^ Didn't TheKiwi want a degree in film, though?

Regardless, I would finish college. Then again, I've always been education first (not to mention, paranoid about the what-ifs).

Same scenario. The only reason Steven Spiellberg went to film school was to avoid the draft.

No degree is required for any job that has to do with expressing yourself creatively. And all the more reason to take the opportunity, no? The film industry is one of the hardest industries to break into.

It's okay to veer away from the path once and awhile.

I would take the job! It's an opportunity...and what do you go to college for? to maximise your opportunities! I know where I'm from, thousands of students delay their course for 6 months or a year to go travelling or work. If you take this job, it could lead to more contacts and job opportunities...and you can always finish your course whenever you are ready!

Transferring from school to school

I am studying fashion in Europe now but when i finish, my plan is to work in States, but...
almost all fashion schools in Italy are either a 3 or 2 year schools and on top of all that i just finished my 1 year (in a 3 year school) and plan to attend another (2 year) school from a second or even 1st year
Now I keep hearing about this bachelor (which is 4 years), right? Well, with my less than 4 years education in Italy, will I have a hard time finding a good job in States? Help! :unsure:

oh and one more important question!
Can i possibly go to another 2 year school after i finish my current 2 year one and that way gather those 4 years to get a bachelor or does it HAVE to be all in 1 school all 4 years?
Oh God. Now I'm really scared.:doh:

the next degree at the university ... obviously unrelated to your studies

sorry for the misunderstanding but here in italy when you speak of 3+2 it implies university

i am soo confused :(
i just hope i can find a good job after im done with studying for 3 years?

well what do you mean? I know i get a certificate when i finish, if thats what you asking?:unsure:

Dallas vs. Austin, college-bound student in dire need of advice

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to the forums and I've had a huge weight on my mind for quite some while now. College. I have wanted to be a fashion designer pretty much since I could pick up a pencil and draw clothing. I know that sounds cliche and such, but I know that it's something I will pursue with all my being.

I planned on going to UT (Austin) to take their textiles and apparel course under Human Ecology. I know Austin is a wonderful city with millions of things to do, and most of my friends are going there. I also planned on minoring in business b/c they have a great business school.

Well my plan was shattered when I found out that I was capped, which means that I have to go to UTSA (San Antonio) for a year, maintain a 3.2 gpa, and transfer after freshman year. I still plan on appealing to UT, so that's up in the air.

My parents pressured me into applying at SMU (Southern Methodist University) in Dallas, a private school with the #2 business school in Texas and a great arts program. I was accepted with a huge scholarship and invitation to their Hilltop Scholars program. There, I can also easily double major in business and fashion PR with internships at various wonderful places such as Neiman Marcus, whereas at UT, it would be incredibly difficult to get into their business program. Dallas is much more conservative than Austin, but it's also known as the fashion capitol of Texas.

If anyone who has experienced both Austin or Dallas or both could give me some advice and/or opinions of the city, that would be wonderful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel Austin has more of a vibrant, youthful vibe whereas Dallas is kind of more restrained (I don't want to say stuffy).
But, you've been offered better opportunities in Dallas so I would suggest you go there. And if you don't win the appeal in Austin they you'd be stuck in San Antonio, which is not bad but admittedly, UTSA has a community-college feel to it, I think.
Go to Dallas, that'd be your safest bet and it's not like you're going to be going to El Paso or something. Dallas is cool (if you know where to look) and offers many, many opportunities for fashion and business. Plus, at the SMU you'd get more attention from the professors, something you'd probably get little of at UT.
(I'm from Texas.)
But, of course, that's just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I would go to Dallas, definitely! Better opportunities to network which of course is extremely important. If you're gonna stay in TX you might as well live in a city that is fairly fashion oriented. Some of my friends are in the cap program and they HATE living in SA, although it's possible you'd like it.

I'm not sure how relevant my question is to this thread, but does anyone have any enlightening words on how to make a transfer application to a school appealing?
Like how to jazz up an essay inquiring why you would want to leave the current school you're at now?
I'm quite certain everyone's reason for desiring to go to a different place is similar in that they're not satisfied where they're currently situated in. But how would you make an essay like that unique without sounding condescending or as though you're whining?
I would really appreciate the help.

SAIC School of the Art Inst of Chicago

I'm going back for my soph year next month.
I'm thinking of transferring to either Parsons or FIT next year for my junior year. I dont want to transfer and get adjusted to a whole different environment but I feel like i really need to be in NY. Could I get som advice to anything? I've been contemplating the whole year freshmen year and now as my soph year is approaching im still having doubts if i should transfer or not. I was leaning more towards FIT but still not sure..

SAIC is mainly about conceptual. about the starving artist. they dont reall focus on getting you a job out of college,instead its just about growing as an artist throughout the 4 years. I realize that's important too but I dont want to be just stuck with nothing to do with a Fashion Design BFA from SAIC.
I absolutely HATED conceptual art. esp. with fashion. but now i'm getting used to it and learning that i have to really play around with the female form to get an idea. IDK!

anyone transferred to Parsons or FIT and loved it?
I know it depends on the person and what style they love more. but as for me i love the haute couture but also want to learn ready-to-wear but our school only focuses on couture fashion.

help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->