Hermès... The All-Things Hermès Handbags Thread

Spacemiu

Reaction score
NY Times article about Hermes bags

30hermes.1.jpg

ahh the kelly, the stuff dreams [and ridiculous credit card debt] are made of.

Hy, I like the bags of Hermes but I prefer Vuitton's bags :P

i cant read the article cause i gotta sign up :unsure:

can someone who has got access, copy and paste the article pls?? :flower:

Leyla, there is a slideshow with captions and pictures on the site that it rather interesting. You should register but here's the opening paragraph.

If you dream of a handbag, chances are you dream of Hermès. In the last decade, the Kelly and its sister, the Birkin, have become symbols of taste and class. But when the Kelly was introduced in 1930, no one showed much interest. Not until 1956, when Grace Kelly used the purse to shield her pregnant belly from a photographer, was the bag elevated to celebrity status. To understand why a Kelly costs $5,500 (or more) and requires a year's wait (or more), we requested an Hermès bag in red box leather, 35 centimeters long. Instead, we received the bag in a smaller size (32 centimeters), and the more rigid leather was replaced by a soft, pebbly skin they call ''fjord.'' So the dream is deferred, but the process still dazzles. — Lynn Hirschberg

In order to improve site performance, long threads that are draining our loading time will be closed and we are going to be periodically starting new threads. This should help pages load faster.
Please remember that not everyone is on a fast connection, or has a large screen, and keep your picture sizes to 800 pixels or less in the largest dimension. This will also help with page load speed.
Please refrain from posting the same images as contained in the archived threads (eg in the old closed thread).
Please stay on topic! (you can list some thread specific problem:( This thread is for Hermes products only
Please do not power post eg make empty posts with no Info/questions/Images - Empty posts cause threads to grow rapidly and is a nuisance to those who subscribe to many threads. Please take any private conversations to PMs or Profile Comments.
Old thread
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/f56/herm-s-thread-feb-03-feb-09-a-354.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(too late to edit this part into my last post)

I'm not 100% sure if I still want the Birkin. I'm a bit fed up with all of the fakes *and* the super-righteous anti-fake patrol. Maybe both groups should be left on an island together?

On another site someone was accused of posting a fake HAC?? Is there even such a thing?! This is getting sad on both sides. If it's not being offered for sale, IMO the witch hunt & blazing torches should end there.

On the same site a snarky member ..(and I mean s/he was a 'member' in the body part sense) once hinted that my Hermes bags were fakes because my photos were too small.:rolleyes:

I used to think it was harsh when I'd read here about 'The Psycho Forum' but lately, I'm starting to wonder a bit.:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant believe that you are waiting for over a year for a strap!!! I think maybe the stores get them in and have people waiting for them. A long time to wait.
If you have a dark green birkin with virbatro (sp) yours is defo real, it is a unique beauty. To be honest, I have no idea what is a fake or isnt, if it is posted and the owner says it is real, I would have no idea. kwim
I think I know the thread you mean ref HAC that was very odd.

I do know that people have good luck at FSH, so esp with family in France that would be a way to go.

I am waiting for a black birkin, I returned one with Pall, now waiting for gold hardware.

You know what I find really scary, is the fact that the fakes are getting too good, some resellers are finding it hard to tell the difference, I really want to tell the newbies to buy from the H store direct, that way it is 100% real.

Update! I apologise for not posting pics of my new Kelly as promised way back in October but the poor thing has been beset by problems since I bought her. I will be collecting her from the FSH spa tomorrow afternoon and hope that this will be the end of her problems. She's already visited the spa but the problem - small traces of glue from manufacture - persisted, fresh marks appearing and the old ones returning after their removal.

I would love a new JPG shoulder birkin!

Overrall the experience rather put me off the joy of Hermes. I have been assured that this is a problem relating to "K" stamp bags and that bags produced last year and this are free of this problem. I was kind of shocked to be given a bag that I was waiting for for 6 months only to find out that she was actually manufactured in 2007 - the previous year! I already have a "K" stamped bag and this had the same problem but it was not nearly so obvious or extreme and I have yet to take her into the spa. However, I do currently have an etoupe togo Birkin 35 cm on order which should arrive anytime from Feb through to July! I placed the original order in Jan 08. I shall refuse it if its a K stamp though!

I hope it gets sorted so the marks dont reappear. I would be surprised if they give you a K stamp for your Etoupe when it comes. It will be M surely.

I cant believe that you are waiting for over a year for a strap!!! I think maybe the stores get them in and have people waiting for them. A long time to wait.
If you have a dark green birkin with virbatro (sp) yours is defo real, it is a unique beauty. To be honest, I have no idea what is a fake or isnt, if it is posted and the owner says it is real, I would have no idea. kwim
I think I know the thread you mean ref HAC that was very odd.

I do know that people have good luck at FSH, so esp with family in France that would be a way to go.

I am waiting for a black birkin, I returned one with Pall, now waiting for gold hardware.

I love black with ghw! Which leather?

Yes, I'm hoping for an FSH miracle...esp. since I want something basic (Fjord, Box, Togo) and sadly more easily counterfeited this time. The reseller would have to be sterling...and even then I'm not sure I want to have a shred of doubt.

I do see a funny relationship between the replica makers and the fakebusting holy rollers. It's as if the increased scrutiny & paranoia (over bags of all things) has driven the fakesters to new heights so to speak. It would be funnier if there weren't so much money involved. Also, I'm not entirely convinced about the tales of children making fake birkins and kellys either but that's another subject...

On to something upbeat: I do remember seeing a dark green vibrato 35 in the 'finds' thread over there. It was amazing. Mine is an Ebene Box and Vib combi.

...Here is some purse p*rn to liven the thread ~

bxvextremeclsupca1.jpg

36764847wx5.jpg

35vib11lo74ebayau8.jpg

Nice huge juicy and graphic, no?

...Here's a tiny, pitiful group pic.

picture5jf6.png
  • Photo credit: My own

I remember your bag it is the one I meant, sorry for getting the dark green mixed with Ebene box - Box is lush!!! On a side note: judging by the posts you get when you post, I feel you are really well liked, you have been missed on there. It would be great if the regulars came back!

Fingers crossed I get my hands on a black clemence leather with GHW. I would be so happy, I have an etoupe and barenia so far. Then I truly feel I would be finished because lets face it, I cannot carry on, I would be divorced!Lol!

Defo consider getting it from H direct, the price would be about same, no doubt, no wondering.

One of the mods made a really good point, all a faker has to do is go to H and buy the item and they will fake away.

I cannot see the pics you posted, it is my laptop! Here is a link to a site in Japan that sells birkin, lots of eye candy!

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/brandkan/c/0000000102/?p=3&type=all

Does anyone have the 24/24 bag (or any upclose boutique encounters w/one)?

It's masculine but I have a crush on it. It's probably more for my lifestyle than another Birkin or Kelly too.

It also reminds me a bit of the Chloe Betty Bags.:ninja::P

I remember your bag it is the one I meant, sorry for getting the dark green mixed with Ebene box - Box is lush!!! On a side note: judging by the posts you get when you post, I feel you are really well liked, you have been missed on there. It would be great if the regulars came back!

Fingers crossed I get my hands on a black clemence leather with GHW. I would be so happy, I have an etoupe and barenia so far. Then I truly feel I would be finished because lets face it, I cannot carry on, I would be divorced!Lol!

Defo consider getting it from H direct, the price would be about same, no doubt, no wondering.

One of the mods made a really good point, all a faker has to do is go to H and buy the item and they will fake away.

I cannot see the pics you posted, it is my laptop! Here is a link to a site in Japan that sells birkin, lots of eye candy!

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/brandkan/c/0000000102/?p=3&type=all

Thank LS... I still pop in from time to time but I wish it could be a bit more relaxed & fun over there.

I'm getting reacquainted here also for the total looks, style & fashion ideas etc. On the whole ppl here seem less label-centric and more about final effect. ..More adventurous, etc.

I did love ILML there tho'.

LOL about the divorce thing...yes, I think I have about one or two bags left in my marriage contract as well. The scarves are much easier to smuggle in unnoticed.:innocent::lol:

eta: I'm liking etoupe lately. I have a graphite kelly that goes with almost everything and etoupe strikes me as a similarly flexible color.

laboheme - I totally sympathise with your experiences on the "other" forum. I read the stuff but rarely post. Sometimes it all gets too serious. I especially enjoy reading some of the more vomit inducing posts detailing the need to cultivate and nuture your "H" relationship by sending little thank you notes to your SA and acquiring "rainbows" of matching leather post-it holders!

LondonSam - black clemence GHW combo is too die for (obviously not literally though lol!)

laboheme - FSH is typically very warm with walk-ins and out-of-towners, its not at all frowned upon to ask the SA straight up if they have the birkin your after - even if she doesn't have your colour sometimes there will be others that she may suggest. You can also make a reservation too providing you can return in person to collect it.

Grill: I guess I don't have the SA-courting temperament either. So glad I'm not alone. :lol: ...Bah, Thank you notes and rainbows indeed. ... & don't forget the home-baked goods!

At this point, after waiting an eternity for this canvas-leather strap, the cookies I'd bring would probably be dosed with LSD.
4.gif
7.gif

I do like the tea sets & some other Hermes items but I can't see buying things I'm not in love with just to 'get in good' or show-off. More power to those with the patience/tenacity/etc..:heart:

eta: thanks for the FSH info too! I am really leaning towards waiting for the trip. I've read that the 24 sur 24 bags are mostly in non-US shops too?

...Here's a tiny, pitiful group pic.

edit: please do not quote images
  • Photo credit: My own
that is not pitiful ; they are fabulous!
I think I have the same shoes you have on in your photo also.

i swear posh has a hermes boutique at her house. that brikin reminds me of some of the balenciaga s/s 09 clutches

great to see some action on this thread

I would love to see a photo of her closet with them all on display

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->