Russian Street Style

^^^the lady in the middle is Ulyana Khachaturova (Ульяна Хачатурова), wife of Danil Khachaturov, russian businessman

^
no, Ksenia Sobchak is daughter of ex-mayor of St. Petersburg city. She's not married.
She also is a tv-presenter in Russia
I know who is Ksenia and who is Alena, I was talking about a woman in the middle :D

Thanks to mirra for writing her name. :wink:

Ksenia Sobchak again (on the left)..
lovely cardigan and I think the hair is very common for Russia nowadays. ^_^

where did they find these people? I do not often see guys and girls dressed like that :blink:
Me neither. When I go to Moscow to visit I only see people like that in very rich neighborhoods, and I'm guessing they picked up the style from other countries.

Not exactly streetstyle, but this article refers to Russian trends, so I think it's relevant. Russians and people from other Christian Orthodox countries, please tell me that this stuff about church attire is way off-base. I'm also Orthodox, and loose hair, tight leggings, or bare legs are not scandalous in church. Geez. A monastery, fine. And maybe that specific church is ultra-conservative, I don't know, but I hate how Derek Blasberg generalizes it. These girls look ridiculous.

Sartorially speaking, the thing I’ve noticed here is how this city’s chic set really latches on to a trend: I’ve seen so many Balmain shoulders I sometimes think I’m in a game of kinky, high-heeled touch football. And don’t even get me started about the fur chubbies. I mean, I knew that fur would be big here—but it’s, like, really big here. But just when I was convinced that this town took all its cues from Paris, I discovered it might also have the ability to subversively inspire a few trends of its own. Yesterday, a bunch of us piled onto a bus (I totally called the backseat) for a tour of the city, and a very chic thing happened when Julia Restoin-Roitfeld, Byrdie Bell, and Sophia Hesketh tried to get into the Cathedral of Christ the Savior. Because Restoin-Roitfeld was in a scandalously tight pair of leggings, Bell’s long hair was down, and Hesketh dared to expose her legs, all three had to nick their friends’ scarves—which naturally happened to be cashmere and from Vuitton or Burberry—and whip their legs and hair into looks that were both orthodox and surprisingly fashion-forward. That’s them outside the church in their layered glory. So the question is: After slap bracelets, will these ladies bring back the sarong? The more I think about it, the more I realize how appropriate a multitasking, two-in-one scarf skirt is for times like these. What’s more, it being mere days before HBO’s Grey Gardens premieres, there couldn’t be a better tribute to Little Edie, whose odd circumstances encouraged her to make convertible skirts of her own. —Derek Blasberg
style.com

style.com

Not exactly streetstyle, but this article refers to Russian trends, so I think it's relevant. Russians and people from other Christian Orthodox countries, please tell me that this stuff about church attire is way off-base. I'm also Orthodox, and loose hair, tight leggings, or bare legs are not scandalous in church. Geez. A monastery, fine. And maybe that specific church is ultra-conservative, I don't know, but I hate how Derek Blasberg generalizes it. These girls look ridiculous.

It is!

People can dress however they wish, especially in churches which are tourist attractions.
You may get a strange look from some old ladies in small local churches, but that's about it...

That "performance" is all for the sake of blog IMO.

You can wear whatever you want, just no short shorts or short skirt... And normally you should cover your head...

I was in orthodox Greece church as well and I was in shorts... haha... so some people gave me a long skirt! It's not just tourist attraction, we should have respect for that places

You can wear whatever you want, just no short shorts or short skirt... And normally you should cover your head...

I was in orthodox Greece church as well and I was in shorts... haha... so some people gave me a long skirt! It's not just tourist attraction, we should have respect for that places

Oh, I totally agree about respect. But our churches are simply not that conservative, in cities at least. There are "rules" of appropriate attire, but most people are pretty lenient. So funny that they gave you a long skirt, were you in a very famous church or in a rural area? You should see some of the outfits Greek women wear to weddings and baptisms!^_^

I think it might be because it's such a famous, well known, church. For some reason they sometimes tend to be stricter with rules. I've noticed it on quite a few of my holidays. And Derek Blasberg is :huh::innocent: So I would take his words with a pinch of salt..

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to chime in re: orthodox church attire - your shoulders and head must be covered and they don't like to see pants, short skirts, etc. inside the church (on the ladies). Yes, you can walk in dressed however you like/wish but I 100% agree with ivoreece - it's about respect more than anything.

Well, referring to the church post, Russian Orthodox churches do seem very conservative to me. The religion is about being humble, I heard you shouldn't even wear makeup to church. My grandmother is very religious and used to drag me to church with her when I was little, so from what I remember, someone in tight pants or short skirts would be stared at. But I'm actually in Moscow right now and went to a couple of churches(as a tourist, I'm an atheist) and I didn't bother following the "dress code". It's a very personal thing though, I won't get into it.

Oh and I'd like to take back what I said in my last post, about people not dressing well. It must have been a while since I visited. All the girls are gorgeous and skinny, and you never see them in sweatpants or looking sloppy, and since they all wear heels their legs look a mile long. And the guys I saw have a good style in genera.l

Russian streetstyle is not as amazing as London ao New Your but still...

look-image-large.jpg.jpg

look-image-large.jpg

look-image-large.jpg.jpg

look-image-large.jpg

look-image-large.jpg.jpeg

look-image-large.jpg

look-image-large.jpg

lookatme

GasolineRainbow, I don't want to upset you, but it's actually true. Religious girls dress like this (covered up) when they go to church.

You're not upsetting me:smile: I was asking a question more than anything, because I wasn't sure about the tone of that article. I felt that it was generalizing and almost mocking what you have to wear to church, and I see that I may have been wrong.

I'm also from an Eastern-Orthodox country, and our dress code is not that strictly observed in urban churches. Monasteries and (sometimes) rural churches are different. I also did not see that extent of conservative dressing in churches when I visited Moscow, particularly amongst young people. Of course, it is up to one's personal religious convictions how one should dress to visit a church, and I respect those who choose to cover up.

Oh, and thanks for those pictures, they're great.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I read that article,the way that it's written does make it sound like they were having to cover up because of what they were wearing,because of the emphasis on their outfits. But it would be because of respct. Having at one point lived in one of the most Catholic countries in the world, I was always taught to cover knees/shoulders etc.

I LOVE the 5th girl in #355 :wub:

^there are some great outfits there! :woot:, i am particularly in love with the last one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->